Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 14:13 
Supporter
Supporter

The A537 from Macclesfield to Buxton. (The Cat and Fiddle) has seen crashes rise by 62% in the last three years.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/peak-district-route-claims-title-of-britains-most-dangerous-road-2287812.html

But the simplest way to reverse that statistic would be to prohibit motor cyclists from using it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/manchester/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8777000/8777016.stm

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 14:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If any other activity was 20x over-represented in death statistics then it would be either banned or regulated closely.

So, an "instant win" for the Government on road death stats: ban motorcycles.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 14:40 
Supporter
Supporter

malcolmw wrote:
If any other activity was 20x over-represented in death statistics then it would be either banned or regulated closely.

Lots of adventure sports - mountaineering, hang-gliding, skiing - have a relatively high death rate compared with, say, golf or crown green bowling. But they are neither banned nor highly regulated

[
Quote:
So, an "instant win" for the Government on road death stats: ban motorcycles.

Or present the statistics so that they clearly distinguish between different classes of road user. I bet that the A537 is way down the list for pedestrian KSIs.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 16:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I should have put

:wink: :wink:

on my post. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 17:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
The A537 from Macclesfield to Buxton. (The Cat and Fiddle) has seen crashes rise by 62% in the last three years.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/peak-district-route-claims-title-of-britains-most-dangerous-road-2287812.html

Good to see those SPECS cameras working, then :P

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 17:30 
Supporter
Supporter

PeterE wrote:

To be fair :cry: those figures are up to 2009 and the cameras were only commissioned last year. I am sure that they will soon be trumpeting the success of SPECS as the KSI figures regress towards the mean.

Driven sensibly it is just another, albeit rather twisty, road. Given the terrain I can't think of any real engineering improvements.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 20:09 

dcbwhaley wrote:

Driven sensibly it is just another, albeit rather twisty, road. Given the terrain I can't think of any real engineering improvements.

Well if they finished the M67 it might cut traffic levels a bit. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:46 
User

PeterE wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:

If they are less effective than normal perhaps it could be partly down to some responsible and helpful reporting:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... dont-work/

Bike-catching new speed cameras still don’t work
By Steve Farrell - General news 11 June 2010 15:56
Speed camera bosses are no closer to fixing a cock-up which has rendered an £800,000 high-tech new camera network unusable.

Rear-facing average-speed cameras on Cheshire’s A537 Cat and Fiddle road from Macclesfield to Buxton were supposed to be switched on by Easter to catch motorcyclists.

But the Cheshire Safer Roads Partnership is still at a loss over what to do about an apparent oversight which makes them inaccurate.

The devices calculate average-speed between camera units based on the assumption that vehicles haven’t strayed from the A537. But between two of them there is a shortcut which leaves and rejoins the A537, cutting the journey and making an accurate speed calculation impossible.

When MCN exposed the cock-up last month, partnership manager Lee Murphy said he hoped to resolve the problem and begin enforcement within a week.

But Murphy said today the partnership had yet to find a solution. “I can’t say anything more than that,” he added.

Quite how that would help the motorcycling community is a matter for debate perhaps.

At least that paper has also printed that they are now up and running. Let's hope they still have some readers as all of my motorcycling acquaintances have given up taking it as it is no longer relevant.