Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 01:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Andrew Perry
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 17:01 
User

malcolmw wrote:
I'm having a little trouble understanding the operation of the Redspeed camera. GS's post about is not exactly clear so I am paraphrasing it here for others to correct if required.

There are two speed checks: primary and secondary.
The primary check is a radar/laser which determines if a vehicle is above the enforcement threshold. (Presumably this is a calibrated device)
The secondary check is performed by two photographs of the vehicle being taken typically at 10m apart (but this is not a precise distance).
The distance travelled between the photographs is measured from the road markings.
The time between the photographs is known from a calibrated source but is not a constant.
The secondary speed is calculated from time and distance travelled.

There are two speed checks: primary and secondary. Yes
    The primary check is a radar/laser which determines if a vehicle is above the enforcement threshold. (Presumably this is a calibrated device). No. The primary check in the Redspeed SpeedCurb is by piezo-electric sensors spaced a known distance apart. It is calibrated in the normal situation.
    The secondary check is performed by two photographs of the vehicle being taken typically at 10m apart (but this is not a precise distance). Yes that is the case.
    The distance travelled between the photographs is measured from the road markings. Yes
    The time between the photographs is known from a calibrated source but is not a constant. Yes
    The secondary speed is calculated from time and distance travelled. From the distance between the 2 shutter events and the time between the 2 shutter events

I think what I said was very clear as you have summarised it quite well.

Before you start to redesign it the system works very well and is very accurate.

As above....carry on!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 18:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

GreenShed wrote:
RobinXe wrote:
Hey Greenshed, as you've surfaced, would you care to address any of the points you've been dodging? How about a case where someone was convicted of speeding based solely on the evidence of civilian CSW members? You did say one or more existed, were you lying?

Not really no.
I don't recall saying one existed; what I did say was that there is no lawful reason why the prosecution could not be made. It was other contributors that insisted on adding "has it been done" into the mix.

I am not entering into that discussion again as it was quite pointless.

Oh but you did, so were you lying, mistaken, ill-informed?

I suppose you think all discussions where you are shown up to be ill-informed, mistaken and/or lying are "pointless".

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 18:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

GreenShed wrote:
It is different in about 99.9% of cases. As long as it does not differ by more than 10% either way that's fine.

The primary speed is what counts and is used in evidence, the secondary check is....well.......secondary.

"Fine"? Fine how exactly? That's a pretty significant MoE for a supposedly highly accurate system!

Are you saying that all images are investigated before proceeding to ensure that the two speed readings are within tolerances, with no action taken if they are outside?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 19:24 
User

FM you are hard work.

As long as the error in the secondary speed calculation is not out-with the boundary of "the primary speed +/- 10%" the primary speed is deemed to be a valid speed. If it is not within that boundary it is rejected.

Is that quite clear?

All unattended speedmeter evidence should have its secondary check performed before it is certified under s20 of the Road Traffic Offenders' Act as evidence that may be admissible in court for the offence of speeding. I don't check every offence in the UK so it would be impossible for me to say if it is checked for every offence; what I am saying is it should be and would be if I became involved in that case.

Stands by for another interpretation of the point so mine can be shown to be incorrect or not answering your very clear question, the answer to which I have made very clear, perhaps not to you though. That's tough because I am satisfied with it. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 19:55 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

GreenShed wrote:
The primary speed is what counts and is used in evidence, the secondary check is....well.......secondary.

Are you sure? I thought the lower of the two readings was used as evidence?

I got your email Malcolm, thanks for that. We're looking at ways to place this on the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 20:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

GreenShed wrote:
Stands by for another interpretation of the point so mine can be shown to be incorrect or not answering your very clear question

Interpretation? I was merely asking for information. The fact that in the past you have lied outright in the face of such requests may or may not be relevant to readers here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 21:42 
User

GreenShed wrote:
No. The primary check in the Redspeed SpeedCurb is by piezo-electric sensors spaced a known distance apart. It is calibrated in the normal situation.

GreenShed,

out of interest, do you have any information on the above "piezo-electric sensors", as there is very little on the RedSpeed web site?

In the earlier photographs they look like induction loops, which would probably have to be quite some distance apart.

Whenever i think piezo, i thing ciggy lighters and high voltage sparks. I would be interesting to see how such technology could provide lane-by-lane millisecond-accurate timing. Also, how are external influences ruled out (to legal standards) - surely the primary check has to be pretty much definitive?

As Steve says, you can't play the "trade secret" game when enforcing the law!

mb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 02:05 
User

Last edited by GreenShed on Thu Sep 29, 2011 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 02:06 
User

Steve wrote:
GreenShed wrote:

You can think what you like but that is wrong. The primary speed is always the speed used for prosecutions, the secondary speed is not used for that purpose.

The secondary speed can be used in some circumstances but that is determined by the defence...usually.

When complex challenges are made the Type Approval is largely an irrelevance but can be used to show reliability.

You chaps have a lot to learn about the law and the significance about the technical and legal aspects of Type Approval; so far you are miles away from understanding how the 2 relate.

God luck and carry on!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 08:28 
User

GreenShed wrote:
Steve wrote:
GreenShed wrote:

You can think what you like but that is wrong. The primary speed is always the speed used for prosecutions, the secondary speed is not used for that purpose.

The secondary speed can be used in some circumstances but that is determined by the defence...usually.

When complex challenges are made the Type Approval is largely an irrelevance but can be used to show reliability.

You chaps have a lot to learn about the law and the significance about the technical and legal aspects of Type Approval; so far you are miles away from understanding how the 2 relate.

God luck and carry on!

The secondary check is to confirm that the primary reading is correct, and the camera is not faulty - as happened in Barrow and elsewhere on more than one occasion!
http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/top_cop_caught_by_flash_happy_camera_1_142239?referrerPath=/2.3207

Quote:
TOP COP CAUGHT BY FLASH-HAPPY CAMERA
SMurphy
Published at 00:00, Friday, 23 March 2007
A TOP cop, a funeral cortege and a man on a pushbike were clocked by a flash-happy speed camera.

But they need not worry, the rogue camera — on Barrow’s Salthouse Road— was faulty and no-one will get a ticket.

Cumbria Safety Cameras says the speed trap went wonky on Wednesday and was still misbehaving yesterday. Spokesman Andy James confirmed: “No-one will be prosecuted during the time the cameras are faulty.”

The camera, he said, should be fixed today.

But dozens of motorists were left shocked as they were convinced they had been caught speeding, despite driving at well below the limit.
Many were expecting a £60 fine and three penalty points slapped on their licences.

The problem started on Wednesday when drivers noticed they were being flashed.

A spokesman for Cumbria Safety Cameras said at the time they were checking the “clarity of the images”.

But complaints flooded in again yesterday — and the safety team admit the camera was now faulty.

Inspector Malcolm Woodhouse, of Barrow police, said he contacted police HQ at Penrith yesterday after he was clocked doing 20mph.

He said: “It was flashing at everyone, including an inspector going to work — me. I was in a line of traffic early and it was flashing at everyone going past it.
“We have had a lot of calls from motorists who are worried they are going to be fined, despite the fact they weren’t speeding.”

BAE Systems manager Nick Freeman, 36, of Roa Island, said he saw a cyclist clocked by the camera as he headed to work yesterday.

He said: “I was coming through at 27mph and the camera flashed me and a pushbike in front. I then saw six cars behind me flashed.
“People were turning up for work really upset thinking they are going to be fined.”

A spokesman for the camera team said: “We were just checking it was working properly on Wednesday.”

So was it FAULTY, or were they checking the “clarity of the images”? If you cannot remember, just make something up!

As for the type approval "can be used to show reliability" - you should stick with the first part of that sentence - " Type Approval is largely an irrelevance" as it and the calibration have no more guarantee of reliability than an MoT guarantees a vehicle is roadworthy for twelve months after it is issued.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

GreenShed wrote:
You chaps have a lot to learn about the law and the...technical

Ah dear chap, here is where we differ so greatly! Most of us here are aware that our knowledge is incomplete and strive to improve it, to do otherwise is the height of arrogance. If information surfaces that causes us to have to readjust our viewpoint then we will gladly do so, in the name of truth and reason.

You on the other hand seem to think that you hold all the answers, and anyone with differing information or opinion is just plain wrong, based on nothing more than the fact that they do not agree with your paradigm of the world according to callaghan. This is why you cannot be reasoned with, because your belief has no roots in reason, and you view the truth as disposable if it interferes with your agenda.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 14:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can use search!

Greenshed wrote:
...prosecutions have resulted from the evidence of CSW volunteers...

No such cases have been identified. So Greenshed, what say you?

EDIT: Hahaha, just found this little gem in the same thread:

Greenshed wrote:
...I look forward to considering your submissions on this but please restrict them to fact rather than your own opinions...

Oh the hypocrisy! So then Greenshed, where are the facts? Where are these cases?

Will he answer for once, or submerge again, I know what my money is on, another thread for the list...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 15:16 
User

Greenshed wrote:
...prosecutions have resulted from the evidence of CSW volunteers...

I think they prosecuted the driver that ran one of the CSW pensioners down.

A bit dodgy that, because the driver mounted the pavement some way before the CSW team, and traveled along it before striking the volunteer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 18:18 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
GreenShed wrote:
Steve wrote:
GreenShed wrote:

God luck and carry on!

The secondary check is to confirm that the primary reading is correct, and the camera is not faulty - as happened in Barrow and elsewhere on more than one occasion!
http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/top_cop_caught_by_flash_happy_camera_1_142239?referrerPath=/2.3207

Quote:
TOP COP CAUGHT BY FLASH-HAPPY CAMERA
SMurphy
Published at 00:00, Friday, 23 March 2007
A TOP cop, a funeral cortege and a man on a pushbike were clocked by a flash-happy speed camera.

But they need not worry, the rogue camera — on Barrow’s Salthouse Road— was faulty and no-one will get a ticket.

Cumbria Safety Cameras says the speed trap went wonky on Wednesday and was still misbehaving yesterday. Spokesman Andy James confirmed: “No-one will be prosecuted during the time the cameras are faulty.”

The camera, he said, should be fixed today.

But dozens of motorists were left shocked as they were convinced they had been caught speeding, despite driving at well below the limit.
Many were expecting a £60 fine and three penalty points slapped on their licences.

The problem started on Wednesday when drivers noticed they were being flashed.

A spokesman for Cumbria Safety Cameras said at the time they were checking the “clarity of the images”.

But complaints flooded in again yesterday — and the safety team admit the camera was now faulty.

Inspector Malcolm Woodhouse, of Barrow police, said he contacted police HQ at Penrith yesterday after he was clocked doing 20mph.

He said: “It was flashing at everyone, including an inspector going to work — me. I was in a line of traffic early and it was flashing at everyone going past it.
“We have had a lot of calls from motorists who are worried they are going to be fined, despite the fact they weren’t speeding.”

BAE Systems manager Nick Freeman, 36, of Roa Island, said he saw a cyclist clocked by the camera as he headed to work yesterday.

He said: “I was coming through at 27mph and the camera flashed me and a pushbike in front. I then saw six cars behind me flashed.
“People were turning up for work really upset thinking they are going to be fined.”

A spokesman for the camera team said: “We were just checking it was working properly on Wednesday.”

So was it FAULTY, or were they checking the “clarity of the images”? If you cannot remember, just make something up!

As for the type approval "can be used to show reliability" - you should stick with the first part of that sentence - " Type Approval is largely an irrelevance" as it and the calibration have no more guarantee of reliability than an MoT guarantees a vehicle is roadworthy for twelve months after it is issued.

Wasn't there an article, reproduced here, I believe, that stated naughty local authorities/SCPs due to claimed underfunding/staffing issues had not been carrying out secondary checks and just issuing fines to potentially thousands of innocent motorists?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 20:47 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

GreenShed wrote:
The primary speed is always the speed used for prosecutions, the secondary speed is not used for that purpose.

This is my mistake. I confused myself with a different process. There are setups that use multiple 'primary' speed detection circuits (e.g. Truvelo) and the lowest speed reading of any of those sensors are used as the evidence. Slaps wrist!

At least I am honest about my mistakes - unlike a certain someone else!

However, I challenge you to say which is the primary reading from a SPECS setup! Or cant you because it is a "trade secret"?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 20:49 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Scans of the paper article are given below:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... ad/ap1.gif

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... ad/ap2.gif