Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 20:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Red light broken or not?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 20:33 
User

Hey there. Not posted in a while but something happened today which has worried me and I would like some help.

I was driving along a road in my hometown which I travel down quite a few times a week, when suddenly the traffic came to a standstill and nothing was moving on either side.

I assumed there was a blockage somewhere and waited, although there was only one pair of lights and its at a t junction and is rarely busy, there is never usually a jam here so it seemed a little odd. After about 15 minutes and listening to some beeping in front somewhere and people to the side of me shrugging as they had no idea either the traffic started moving and as I got to the lights I realised that about 6 cars in a row had just gone through a red light ( or at least Im sure they did).

Assuming it was malfunctioning lights that had done this I drove on through with the others but the car behind me stopped.

Then they caught up with me as I got stopped at some lights further down the road and because I was concerned I called out the window and they said the lights had subsequently gone green.

Is it possible they were broken for a while and had come on or had I just plain as day gone through a red light?

No-one pulled me up and I dont believe there are any cameras on these lights, but Im worried I couldve been caught on a cctv camera or something.

I have uploaded a picture of the offending lights for all to see. What are those little camera on top of them can they be used to record people?

Since I have not been pulled over and theres no red light cameras there am I safe from prosecution? Very confusing and a little annoyed.

Attachments:
File comment: Picture of the lights
l.jpg
l.jpg [ 63.03 KiB | Viewed 5876 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 00:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You can go through a red light if it's been red for an unreasonable length of time, such that you feel it's faulty.

Otherwise no-one would get anywhere! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 03:23 
Site Admin

Report the faulty light to the Council concerned or to the Police with the exact location and dates when noticed. (You might decide to withhold your details - or not) Did you do that ?
(Best to always seek out professional legal advice - I am not a lawyer and cannot advise you).

(Somerset Council show on their site how to do this - the fact that they do one may conclude means that they do have this happen so the likelihood of failure is not only possible but 'expected') here.

The Box above the Traffic Lights is the sensor and are vehicle-actuated (VA) which are fitted with microwave detectors - the boxes mounted above (usually) the signal heads. They won't activate if a vehicle is lower than 10mph and within 5-40m, so if the sensors are mis-aligned they may become 'stuck'. Some are 'light activated' but I cannot tell which is which.

If you cannot see any CCTV or Red light cameras (rare on temporary lights) then I doubt you will have activated any legal actions against you.

Whilst there is something about whena light is faulty you may proceed with extreme caution I cannot find the relevant section. I will keep looking.
North West Evening Mail - News - Faulty traffic lights spark safety fears - Published at 13:21, Monday, 01 August 2011 - Lights on the A5093 at the Oaks near Millom.

DfT Apr 09- Integration of Pedestrian Traffic Signal Control within SCOOT-UTC SystemsThe Register (Red Light Priority for Peds)
Surrey University study on Traffic Lights see here.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 08:56 
User

I have had this many times. Most lights are timed but a lot switch to sensor at night. The sensors do not pick up motorcycles. Trying to get across London in the wee small hours can be a nightmare because none of the lights change! I have had to sit at almost every set of lights and eventually go through them when they failed to turn green. Or on occasion I have been lucky enough to have a car come along and trigger them. It has happened in other places as well.