Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 01:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Swapping points???
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:34 
User

Just a thought that popped into my head during the wee small hours!

If it is an offence to take somebody elses points, why isnt it an offence to pay somebody elses fine???

(Just because "Thats the Law" is not really the awnser I am looking for, I am looking for something a little deeper!)

:scratchchin:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Swapping points???
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 13:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dusty wrote:

If it is an offence to take somebody elses points, why isnt it an offence to pay somebody elses fine???

(Just because "Thats the Law" is not really the awnser I am looking for, I am looking for something a little deeper!)

First of all Dusty, try decaf (he he). :D

Good point! After all, the fine is meant to be part of the punishment otherwise they wouldn’t fine you. So probably because it can’t be proved beyond reasonable doubt that your fine coincided with the amount, or more than the amount, going into your bank account from benevolent retired old uncle George’s huge nest egg or back-hander which no-one would be any the wiser of.

This comes back to the other point which I think has been raised on SS about what does a fixed fine do or mean to a rich person? Answer, nothing! Rather like the rich, arrogant, self-centred director of a company I once worked for back in the late 80’s who said “they should put the price of petrol up to £50 a gallon”. (Because there was too much traffic on the roads for his liking).

So I guess you could get into proportionate fines based on income but that gets silly, as in the case of, (I think it was), somewhere in Switzerland and a rich guy speeding in his sports car got something like a £150,000* fine! :o

If you were cynical, you might even say that would open the floodgates to target the rich for speeding and get much more revenue for the time and effort. :twisted: ANPR at scamera. Ping! Registration BT1 multimillionaire. Image

* (I wasn't even close)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 14:33 
Supporter
Supporter

Dusty wrote:

Simple pragmatism - there is no way to police it. You could make it illegal to pay someone else's fine. But you couldn't prevent someone giving, perhaps indirectly, the fined person a gift equal to the value of his fine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 14:39 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
This comes back to the other point which I think has been raised on SS about what does a fixed fine do or mean to a rich person?

And what to points on the licence mean to a man who is rich enough to employ a full time chauffeur? Perhaps, rather than just banning people from driving the punishment should be a ban from travelling by motor car :)

Quote:
So I guess you could get into proportionate fines based on income but that gets silly, as in the case of, (I think it was), somewhere in Switzerland and a rich guy speeding in his sports car got something like a £150,000* fine! :o

Well, short of such punitive fines or a custodial sentence it is difficult to punish a very rich person.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 14:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The points are the deterrent and punishment; the fine is just for the Government. If it was one strike and you’re out they wouldn’t be able to milk us as they do.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 21:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Dusty wrote:

I take the POV,from a sign in my local PO-"HMG don't like thieves - in their opinion ,they're the only folks legally entitled to stuff you" . :D