Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 18:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:56 

jomukuk wrote:
The industry is betting on a rise in the number, based upon a rise in the available subsidy from government/s.
Not forgetting that a government subsidy towards those owning these expensive and short-lived vehicles is paid by all, most of who will never own one because they are unlikely to be a used-car option.

No, it's betting on a rise in number based on rising fuel costs, increased availability of alternative vehicles, increased public awareness of the alternatives, improved charging infrastructure, better consumer choice etc etc. The government subsidy doesn't actually make that much difference. For most EVs it certainly doesn't make up the difference between the cost of the EV and the cost of the equivalent ICE vehicle.

jomukuk wrote:
Batteries. Inevitably lithium-ion. Life-time limited, as are all batteries.
But with major problems. Strictly regulated charging is necessary. The life of the cells is shorter, sometimes much shorter, as the current drawn from them increases. Regular use at high discharge rates shortens cell life dramatically.
Largely unreported problems also exist in below-threshold discharge, at which time safety devices contained within the cell will operate and render it useless (ie: not usable anymore.) So parking it in the garage and departing on holiday will cause problems if not charged before departure.

I think the industry already knows about those. WHat's more, there will be others that it doesn't know about yet - all part of the "brave new world". The car as we know it, has had about 100 years to evolve to where it is today. there were (and still are) plenty of problems to overcome with existing technology. (Blocked particulate filter anyone)? EVs will have problems too, just different problems.

jomukuk wrote:
Lpg in cars is still a minority use.
Also largely unreported, with respect to lpg, is that in many makes of car there are problems with valve life.
I've seen cars run on lpg where the valves have receded to the point where they ceased to be valves and became an obstruction in the exhaust port.
Solvable by installing hardened valves and seats. High cost.

Everything has its down side.

Fortunately I will not be around to see wide-scale use of solely-battery-powered electric vehicles.

So with only a forecast sale figure of 7% of total car sales by 2020, electric vehicles (all types, not solely battery) are not going to set the world on fire (although they seem to have that problem themselves)

And even then only by the poors taxes subsidising the rich in their 'leccy cars.

And your solution is...?

It's all very well whining about any of the alternatives offered, where are all your "poor people" going to be when petrol is £10 a gallon? We (as a civilisation) need to wean ourselves off fossil fuels for a variety of reasons. That's not going to happen without a pretty big push either by regulation / incentive / whatever. Today, all "poor people" benefit from features and technologies on their cars that were once only ever available to "rich people".

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 13:10 

Dusty wrote:
The problem with EV's is to my mind one of concept. Manufacturers are spending a fortune trying to make a practical "One size fits all" alternative to ICE vehicles. I really dont think it is going to happen! And it doesnt have to!

There's an increasing range of choice from little city cars like the i-MiEV, up to Transit-sized vehicles just now. Loads more on the way.
Dusty wrote:
An EV with a range of 30 miles and a top speed of 30-40MPH is just fine-as a second or even third vehicle! this is easily achievable with (relativly) low cost lead/acid technology!

A vehicle like this would probabally be suitable for 80-90% of my "Social Domestic and pleasure" journeys and about 50% of my total SDP annual milage. I dont imagine that my SDP requirements are that different to most!

Yes, I agree. There are a few problems though. One of the biggest barriers to a wider uptake of EVs is the perceived problem with range. It's absolutely true that 90+% of Mrs Mole's journeys are under 30 miles too. The sensible solution is, as you suggest, having more than one type of vehicle per household. Another issue though, is that because of the limitations of current battery technology, you need to have a bigger range then you need when the car is new because of this probem whereby Li-ion batteries loose a bit of capacity each year. By the time you can't do your 30 miles, the car won't be worth the cost of a new battery. That's a big probem that we need to overcome (plus an allowance for delays in on winter nights when the heater / lights etc are eating up your battery capacity even though you're not moving). There are a few lead-acid cheap city runabouts but they're really awful cars. A lot of the problem is that the people who can currently afford an EV wouldn't really want one. Then there are a variety of safety issues with lead-acid, which can be quite hard to manage.

Dusty wrote:
A :30: EV and a Landcruiser Amazon would comfortably meet all my needs! (Indeed, I am surprised that the likes of Toyota do not market a "Package deal" combining a landcruiser with an EV It would be good publicity IMO)

All I need now is the EV ! :wink: . Maybe I should build one!

I think that's a really good idea! Some of the most expensive / gas-guzzling vehicles out there are bought by people who could very easily afford a little EV at the same time - if only to ease their consciences! (Although I dunno, maybe people that rich don't have consciences?)! Either way, if tying the purchase of a supercar / gas guzzler to the purchase of a small EV is a way of increasing the numbers of small EVs in circulation so that they can drop to a price that me and thee could afford, bring it on! That'll be the "poor people" getting back some of their investment in EV subsidies!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 13:16 

botach wrote:
Last item by Dusty ,made me think of how many disabled cars are in town nowadays since a lot of the bays are now disabled only. It would be interesting to see how many disabled manage to clock up a lot of miles .Especially if it's a mobility vehicle ,where the allowance is used to pay for it ,leaving what to pay for fuel.Might be a nice little niche market for EVs ?

The problem with the disabled cars (at least the wheelchair-accessible ones) is that they have lowered floors to facilitate wheelchair access and packaging the batteries would be a nightmare. Also, some electric wheelchairs are now so heavy, that the accessible vehicles are struggling to carry the weight of the wheelchair - never mind the batteries! As for the other sorts of disabled persons' vehicles, they're mostly financed by Motability - who, like most fleet buyers, will be dead scared of the unknown residual values of an EV at the end of its lease. In terms of usage profile though ,I agree they'd b perfect - they're pretty much, by definition, automatic for a start!

I've always thought a good niche would be electric hearses. They don't have to go very fast or very far. Being quiet is a positive advantage, and there's loads of space / carrying capacity for the batteries!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 13:31 

jomukuk wrote:
This from a "electric car buyers guide" [sic]

electric car buyers guide wrote:
...car manufacturers are lazy and have little incentive to abandon fossil fuels, which in many respects work well......

Who wites this sh1t?! Car manufacturers are businesses. They'll do whatever they think is going to make them money! Other than the people out there who actually LIKE paying the best part of £7 a gallon, the rest are likely to be pretty keen on saving a few quid! The incentives to offer alternative-fuel cars are large, and growing by the day. They're just the commercial incentives. On top of that, there are regulatory incentives like the New Car CO2 Regulation, which obliges all major manufacturers to make year-on-year reductions in their corporate average CO2 emissions and hits them with heavy fines if they fail to meet their targets. Just wait a couple of years until that starts to bite and they've done all the easy things like fitting low rolling resistance tyres and stop-start as standard!

jomukuk wrote:
Several minor problems.
No, no renewable "power stations".
Too unreliable, never generating when needed.
Not a "hub and spokes" system now.
Any system using renewable sources that we have now is going to be unreliable and prone to almost daily outages.
For every MW of renewable generation there is a MW of fossil/nuclear backing it up.
Seems the present government is seeing the writing on the wall and dumping land-based wind and solar rather rapidly, off-shore will go soon....or remain as an expensive beach offshore-eyesore.

I say again, what's YOUR solution?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 16:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Mole wrote:

I've always thought a good niche would be electric hearses. They don't have to go very fast or very far. Being quiet is a positive advantage, and there's loads of space / carrying capacity for the batteries!

Personally , when my time comes ,I won't be caring it it's quiet or sounds like a jumbo jet . And as for EV's , if the technology has improved so much ,then why haven't we seen an increase or revival in electric milk floats . But that's possibly because most milk delivery was priced out of the market by supermarkets .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 19:45 
User

My solution ?
To the subsidised crop of electrically-driven vehicles we have now ?
Not to mention the subsidised batteries, or in many cases RENTED batteries ?
Yes, we are going to [be forced to] move to electric vehicles. The internal combustion engine has had its day. Both types will be produced, battery and ICE-battery (heavily filtered diesel is better) to give both convenience and range.
Trucks ?
Well, if the EU has its way (and don't forget the EU tells this government what to do, after this government has told the EU what it wants to be told to do) the truck is on a short chain as well....maybe another 15-20 years before the hgv is a dodo, replaced by rail/m/way with distribution hubs. Good.
But the future is far from rosy. The revenue slipping away is going to be countered by road charging/pricing (yes it is....the technology is available, the satellites are going up now, it is tested and proven and it IS coming).
Power is another not-so-cosy problem....if the green communists get their way the only "power" stations will be wind, solar or geothermal (maybe not that...risk of earth tremors...).so you may only be allowed to charge at some times.....courtesy of your remote switch-off device.
Nuclear ?
Yeah...note that several companies pulled-out of this governments nuclear plans so things ain't going so well, and the UK has no nuclear construction industry any more.
Gas. Ok, got the amber light for fracking....but the EU is anti-frack so we can expect some grief coming from that totalitarian regime soon....and anyway the gov has said they'll tax it and sell it abroad...so we may well end up paying more because the people who produce it sell it on and we end up buying it back in....sigh...shades of the north sea again.
Coal ?
Not much chance of that is there....
It may well be cheaper to buy your electric car, charge it all night, and sell the electricity back during daytime peaks....and never drive it on the road.....what with the purchase subsidy and the depreciation !

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 20:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What is interesting to see is that our council has put in an EV charging point in a P&D car park close to the town hall . Personally ,I've never seen any EVs in this town, but my thought is do councils get a subsidy for provision of these EV spaces ?
Come to think of it ,I have -it's an electric moped with no plates ( simply some stupidly marked plate ,in place of VRN) using the pedestrian side of our local park .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 17:02 
User

Zippo wrote:
DavidMC wrote:
I am convinced that 80mph is so slow that anyone even my 90 year old gran can manage to operate a car under motorway conditions in perfect safety at that and higher speeds.

Sorry, I don't agree with that at all, some people show a remarkable ability to completely ignore warning signs of trouble ahead and carry on at their chosen cruising speed regardless of very clear indications that there is definitely a problem looming.

I once (loooong time ago now) recovered a broken down car from the centre lane of the M74, boy that was an eye opener :shock: There was a marked police traffic car parked back up the motorway with blue lights going and two uniformed traffic officers waving traffic down, me at the breakdown site with fluorescent orange and white truck with amber beacons going, a car stationary in the centre lane, and brake lights coming on all over the place, plenty of indication that something was up one would have thought? ....Ummmm that would be no .... Quite a few vehicles arrived at the site without slowing noticeably at all, then had to take emergency evasive action to avoid ploughing into the broken down car, or another vehicle which was taking evasive action. There were several sets of black lines from locked wheels left on the road, violent braking/swerving manouvers with loss of control, some of the "violent swervers" clearly had no idea if the lane they were swerving into was free of approaching traffic coming from behind.

Mayhem .... IMO there were no collisions due to the folks that did do something about it early and stayed out of the way of the "what problem?" ppl, and luck. IMO some people can't manage to operate a car under motorway conditions in anything like perfect safety at all ever!! It has nowt to do with speed, much to to with proper observation and taking effective early action on those observations. Motorways might be "the safest roads" but IMO that is not because ppl drive well on them.

You said it, that is the nub of the road safety issue right there. A total confusion between speed and observation / behaviour. If my Gran (as an example) can drive at a safe distance, and is observant, then driving can be inclusive. She does not need particulary fast reactions to remain safe. We need to train people better then eliminate those that can't be safe at ANY speed.

Why is 70 safe? Answer it isn't. Partcicularly. Its just too slow to make the car as useful as its potential suggests.

I drive in Germany a lot. 130mph is still easy to manage. I decide how fast to travel based on personal requirements and road conditions. That's how it should be. The system should support it and casualities would reduce if drivers actually took the whole thing as seriously as the physics demand.

Last edited by DavidMC on Mon Apr 23, 2012 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 21:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

DavidMC wrote:
The system should support it and casualities would reduce if drivers actually took the whole thing as seriously as the physics demand.

Casualties would reduce if drivers took driving seriously and didn't just see it as a means of getting from A to B.

There are far too many people who see espousal of the "A to B" philosophy as "green" or "morally sound" in some way. If everyone was actually interested in driving, wanted to do it and understood it better then it would be beneficial to all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:12 
User

botach wrote:
What is interesting to see is that our council has put in an EV charging point in a P&D car park close to the town hall . Personally ,I've never seen any EVs in this town, but my thought is do councils get a subsidy for provision of these EV spaces ?
Come to think of it ,I have -it's an electric moped with no plates ( simply some stupidly marked plate ,in place of VRN) using the pedestrian side of our local park .

Now council fleet vehicles are a prime candidate for EV.... low mileage, predictable duty cycle, overnight charging. So is already becoming quite common to see various EVs in these fleets.

I was going to suggest it may be part of the CABLED trial, but can't see any charge points marked over yonder.

(some first year findings for you all to pick to pieces http://cabled.org.uk/news/first-years-findings/ can't say that i've read them mind)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 20:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ed_m wrote:
botach wrote:

Now council fleet vehicles are a prime candidate for EV.... low mileage, predictable duty cycle, overnight charging. So is already becoming quite common to see various EVs in these fleets.

I was going to suggest it may be part of the CABLED trial, but can't see any charge points marked over yonder.

(some first year findings for you all to pick to pieces http://cabled.org.uk/news/first-years-findings/ can't say that i've read them mind)

As I now you're local to me , park mentioned is the PUBLIC one at rear of Council House in Nuneaton. For PUBLIC, rather than Council staff use . And I've not seen Treacletown with an EV on the road .If they had, then matey Dennis would be shouting it from the rooftops .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 19:10 
User

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9645663.Shock_low_usage_at_electric_car_charging_points/

And:

Quote:
There are more than 13 million natural gas vehicles on the road worldwide. Now companies and researchers are working on infrastructure and technologies to help bring the US's growing stock of natural gas to fuel tanks, including those of long-haul vehicles.

http://climatechangedispatch.com/home/10140-shale-cars-the-new-transport-revolution

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 20:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

With gas conversions,I wonder how many potential users have seen what's happened in the past. New fuel,gets HMG blessing and low tax rate. After a big uptake, the tax rate gets hiked, and there's no gain . How many Chancellors have one shoe with signs of buckshot in it . Only one truth when referring to fuel and HMG. When the Chancer at No11 tells us that he's looking favourably on one fuel over another ,he's not lying. Just using his right to express a terminological inexactitude . :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 15:39 
User

Hmmmmmm:

Quote:
The Government's figure for the Ford Focus 1.6TDci 115 Zetec was 67.3mpg compared with What Car's 43.1mpg

http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/04/27/government-overstates-mpg-data/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 16:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ho hum.

I thought everyone knew that these numbers are just for comparison purposes and not an expectation of actual fuel usage.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 17:21 
User

Apparently not.
Maybe that's why my old fiesta (1.1, OHV, injection) did over 40mpg on a trip and about 30 around town....and so does a friends ultra modern clio.......both fitted with cats...
The only thing that seems to have improved is the ability to go in circles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 21:57 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

There are some issues around EVs - one is the reliance on Lithium - at current rate of usage I think (from a presentation I found from the mining industry a year or so back) the mineable supply of lithium won't last too long and we will have to extract from sea water. Battery technologies need at advance.

Nevertheless I can see the merit of the short range EV. I'm in the process of changing my high performance car for a higher performance car and an EV for local use might make sense I thought... I saw the new Renault Twizy - only 6 or 7 grand to buy... BUT you have to lease the battery - at a minimum of £45 per month. My wife spends about that on petrol driving a 2 litre turbo estate car...

Plus I have a bus pass...

to sink your ship of fools

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 22:25 

Yeah, I'm thinking the same way. Most mornings either I or my wife drive just over 3 miles to take the kids to school and three miles home - and repeat the journey again in the afternoon - sometimes twice if only one of them is doing an after-school activity! All the EV manufacturers seem keen to provide a MUCH bigger range than I'd want an EV for, so the batteries are ridiculously expensive. If it was cheap enough, I'd be interested in an EV with (say) only a 20 mile range. In fact, maybe the manufacturers should just provide a little drop-down menu when you're ordering one, so you can select from a range of, er, ranges! It would be unusual (on the little single-track roads to the school) to need more than 40MPH either. In fact, I've been wondering about Dusty's idea of just doing a simple DIY one. Basically a low-tech, somewhat inefficient electric powertrain bodged into a conventional small hatchback. Major manufacturers (either due to customer pressure or legal requirements, or both) have to put ABS, ESC, airbags, and all manner of trick stuff in there that I (personally) don't really want.

If anyone fancies a 100 page (and pretty dull!) read on the future of EV propulsion, there's a report in the public domain here:

http://www.axeon.com/getdoc/77fbadce-7d ... ublic.aspx

Basically, they're expecting a halving in cost and 30% reduction in mass of a typical battery pack by 2020 and 70% reduction in cost and a 45% reduction in mass by 2030.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 09:26 
User

Re Lithium AIUI the situation is as follows....

Ironically Lithium is one of the universes more common elements, unfortunatly it does not seem to have formed the chemical compounds on the Earth that are inclined to form conventianal concentrated ore deposits so available Lithium mostly remains in solution in seawater (In principle, like all other minerals, it could be mined from Granite, but that would be hopelessly expensive). In some rare locations such as Bolivia (The Saudi of Lithium), salt pans have high (relativly) concentrations of Lithium that can be effectivly mined. However, the total reserve is small. Until the battery revolution Lithium production (Global) was measured in the tens of thousands of tons per year! Total ultimatly exploitable global reserves have been extimated as being in the order of ten million tons

( You need about half a kilo of Lithium per KWHr in a battery! Anybody can build an EV, The trick is being able to build a Billion of them!)

Added to that, Bolivia has been insisting on conditions for exploiting its reserves. They want the profits from Lithium exploitation to be spent in Bolivia. Cant say I blmae them Myself I'd do the same, There are other coutries with significant Lithium reserves, but they are poor as well and if Bolivia "Gets away with it" they might well impose similar restrictions which does mean that the expansion of lithium production is likly to be slow and prices are unlikly to fall.

I havent checked this but I remember reading a couple of years back that though extraction from seawater is possible, it is so expensive a process that it would only make economic sense for the production of fusion reactor fuel!

Quote:
Basically, they're expecting a halving in cost and 30% reduction in mass of a typical battery pack by 2020 and 70% reduction in cost and a 45% reduction in mass by 2030

I guess thats when the Unobtainium mines on Pandora come on stream! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 22:26 

jomukuk wrote:
Hmmmmmm:

Quote:
The Government's figure for the Ford Focus 1.6TDci 115 Zetec was 67.3mpg compared with What Car's 43.1mpg

http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/04/27/government-overstates-mpg-data/

I've just found out that the company who are doing these tests for Autocar is called Emissionsanalytics.

A quick search reveals:

http://emissionsanalytics.com/emissions ... sultation/

Guess we need to be careful what we wish for!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next