Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 19:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 13:22 
User

Quote:
the digital T.V. switchover is crap!

In which case you need to look at which transmitter your antenna is pointing at.
When the analogue transmitters at Sandy Heath were trashed, and the digital multiplexes were increased in power (some 10 db) the signal was a lot better...and I can see the antenna complex from my front garden. the multiplexes at Sandy are now running some 180KW each.....
Check on ukfree.tv where your best tx is...I know one person in Norfolk who gets a better picture from a tx in Lincs than he does from the nearest tx in Norfolk....25 miles away...

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 15:40 
User

Quote:
Anyway, presumably you're happy to get on a plane?

Ah, but would you be happy getting on a plane that had missed its last two services because the owner was "A bit short" and the last service it did have was carried out by a guy called "Abdul" (with only a mobile number for contact), Cash in hand, and using parts bought on e-bay from an address in east London!

Probabally not!

Of course, like with aircraft, autonomous vehicles will have to have strict regulations not only on how they are serviced but also by whome (That day is coming for all vehicle repairs sadly due to increased complexity).

People will look back with nostalga for the days when servicing only cost £150/Hr!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 00:24 

Not to mention that there simply isn't the sort of money in a car that there is in a plane! Car manufacturers can only dream of aerospace quality and consistency, as well as degrees of redundancy for parts. That said, if the basic argument is against electronic control systems, planes show that it can be done! I know I;d ratehr get into a newish airbus than a 1930 Tiger Moth - even though I had the reassurance of knowig that all the controls on the Tiger Moth are operated by good, solid levers and bits of wire!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 09:11 
User

Quote:
I;d ratehr get into a newish airbus than a 1930 Tiger Moth - even though I had the reassurance of knowig that all the controls on the Tiger Moth are operated by good, solid levers and bits of wire!

Mind, it depends on the enviroment. Flying BA I'd agree with you, but if I was flying "Rwandan Airways" Id be happier with the DC3! :D

on another note, I remember a article a while back about a company that did overland tours in Alaska. They had applied for (And got!) special dispensation from the EPA to retrofit their (modern) 4x4's with carbs and points ignition!

In this enviroment, you break down you are on your own! Cant get going again there is a good chance you die!