Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 02:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:50 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Peter Rodger is the IAM's Chief Examiner and has a regular column in their magazine Advanced Driving. He's often expressed very sound and sensible opinions and his column in the Summer 2012 issue is a very good example.

On signing:

Quote:
As drivers, we are expected to see and understand the message in a very short space of time, as well as deal with where all the other traffic is and what it's doing. Keep it simple, please - we need consistency in how signage of any kind is used, so we can do our best to achieve what it's trying to tell us.

On compliance:

Quote:
Again, I may be wrong, but I notice a change in the way enforcement is being conducted towards an attitude that it's about strict compliance rather than the result - the letter, rather than the spirit, of the law. Which will achieve better road safety?

On distraction:

Quote:
But there's an attitude creeping in that anything that isn't about attending to the task of moving along without crashing is a distraction from driving - and that isn't really true. Life is not that simple.

There was also a good piece in the last issue on how it is likely to be divisive and counter-productive to put one set of road users on a moral pedestal above others, when safety on the roads depends on co-operation between all road users.

I think at heart he's "one of us" :)

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 13:52 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
There was also a good piece in the last issue on how it is likely to be divisive and counter-productive to put one set of road users on a moral pedestal above others, when safety on the roads depends on co-operation between all road users.

I don't suppose you can remember the group he might have been referring to? :wink:

Of course, I would agree with this sentiment but I'm not 100% behind him on distraction.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 15:55 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

malcolmw wrote:
I don't suppose you can remember the group he might have been referring to? :wink:

Might just begin with "cy..."

malcolmw wrote:
Of course, I would agree with this sentiment but I'm not 100% behind him on distraction.

The point is that distraction needs to be managed, but can't be completely avoided. Should drivers never adjust the heater settings or change the channel on the radio?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 19:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PeterE wrote:
The point is that distraction needs to be managed, but can't be completely avoided. Should drivers never adjust the heater settings or change the channel on the radio?
That's my point, the point I was trying to make once. :roll:

As I put it, necessary verses unnecessary distractions. As near 100% as possible - made ever worse by yet more distractions :camera:

How many of us would perform better in bed if a camera, or audience of complete stangers, we're watching?

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 21:25 
User

PeterE wrote:
Might just begin with "cy..."

Those Cylons - I always admired Lorne Green for the way he dealt with them and the members of his own crew! :lol:
He did a pretty good job with Hoss and Little Joe too, while he managed the Ponderosa.
:tumbleweed:

Of course in each of these dramas, the difficulty was in dealing with selfish parties who wanted things their own way against the wishes of others - something Peter Rogers seems familiar with by all accounts!
:scratchchin:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 21:39 
User

PeterE wrote:
Peter Rodger is the IAM's Chief Examiner and has a regular column in their magazine Advanced Driving. He's often expressed very sound and sensible opinions and his column in the Summer 2012 issue is a very good example.

On signing:

Quote:
As drivers, we are expected to see and understand the message in a very short space of time, as well as deal with where all the other traffic is and what it's doing. Keep it simple, please - we need consistency in how signage of any kind is used, so we can do our best to achieve what it's trying to tell us.

Speed limit signing and signing in general is probably one of the most regulated and consistent feature of road traffic infrastructure. The signing of speed limits is very simple and clear. What is clearer though is that drivers tend not to bother finding out how to read the limit when they really should do. Anyone who thinks it is not consistent or simple is either ignorant or simply wrong as Peter Rodger is or so it would seem.

PeterE wrote:
On compliance:

Quote:
Again, I may be wrong, but I notice a change in the way enforcement is being conducted towards an attitude that it's about strict compliance rather than the result - the letter, rather than the spirit, of the law. Which will achieve better road safety?

Well Mr. Rodger, you are wrong. What is strict about the compliance that is policed in the UK, recommendations are only exceptional enforcement of the speed limit or breath-alcohol is carried out below a generous allowance for both offences. How much spirit does he suggest is acceptable? Too much in my opinion; his views are obviously as a result of being misinformed or perhaps not being informed at all.

PeterE wrote:
On distraction:

Quote:
But there's an attitude creeping in that anything that isn't about attending to the task of moving along without crashing is a distraction from driving - and that isn't really true. Life is not that simple.

I think at heart he's "one of us" :)

That's a little far-fetched and wishful thinking. Either that or the views he is expressing are sourced from you, if that is the case my comments above are very accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 21:45 
User

Peter Rodger wrote:

Sound like he needs to slow down so he can give himself time to read the singage, and that he thinks other drivers drive round too quickly to me!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 01:42 
User

GreenShed wrote:
Speed limit signing and signing in general is probably one of the most regulated and consistent feature of road traffic infrastructure. The signing of speed limits is very simple and clear. What is clearer though is that drivers tend not to bother finding out how to read the limit when they really should do. Anyone who thinks it is not consistent or simple is either ignorant or simply wrong as Peter Rodger is or so it would seem.

You are joking. There is no consistency what ever on speed limits, other than the signs them self. If it was, you would not get limits that bear no relationship to the actual road conditions, as are so common nowadays. How can you consider that a dual carriageway with no incoming roads other than at a roundabout, that leads onto a single carriage road that has the pavement separated by wide verges but then becomes narrow with narrow pavements each side, all of which is signed 40MPH, to be consistent?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 07:30 
User

whynot wrote:
GreenShed wrote:

You are joking. There is no consistency what ever on speed limits, other than the signs them self. If it was, you would not get limits that bear no relationship to the actual road conditions, as are so common nowadays. How can you consider that a dual carriageway with no incoming roads other than at a roundabout, that leads onto a single carriage road that has the pavement separated by wide verges but then becomes narrow with narrow pavements each side, all of which is signed 40MPH, to be consistent?

Here's the quote:

Quote:
As drivers, we are expected to see and understand the message in a very short space of time, as well as deal with where all the other traffic is and what it's doing. Keep it simple, please - we need consistency in how signage of any kind is used, so we can do our best to achieve what it's trying to tell us

Peter makes no mention of clues and conditions just signage. What he perhaps could have added is that drivers make no effort to either understand signage, how it's used and to look for it. In addition to that, if it is seen, it is ignored. Consistent? Absolutely, yesy it is.
What Peter's little article shows me is that he has not bothered to look at the evidence before he has written the article; he is simply sketching what he thinks, almost off-the-cuff or has been fed-a-line from some idiot with an axe to grind. It is such a lazy comment that it is shameful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 09:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

GreenShed wrote:
The signing of speed limits is very simple and clear. What is clearer though is that drivers tend not to bother finding out how to read the limit when they really should do.

Anyone who thinks it is not consistent or simple is either ignorant or simply wrong

as Peter Rodger is or so it would seem.

That’s just about the most dumb claim I have ever read from a poster, ever, on Safe Speed.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 09:31 
User

When I get time, I'll post a few pics of a quarter mile of road near me with four sets of speed limit signs in four hundred metres.
That's consistency.
I'll also put up pics of a new housing area with light-regulated road junctions (X-roads). Three of them, one hundred metres apart. The latest control systems. Every night, going home, at past midnight, they change to red on traffic approach. And no: it is a design feature not a fault. I reported them as faulty, to be told: "it's a child safety feature".
So safe is it that regular users now ignore the reds at night.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:21 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The consistency point was more in connection with lining scheme and markings for bus lanes, cycles lanes etc than speed limits.

But, in practice, if signing or marking schemes regularly prove confusing, it is the fault of the designers, not the users.

I've now dug out the article from the previous issue in which he says:

Quote:
...some want to create a hierarchy giving certain road users a greater responsibility for safety. If you exclude children - for obvious reasons - we should all look out for ourselves and for other road users. I believe this attitude partly explains why the UK has such a strong road safety record. I fear that if we change this approach and make some people more responsible, others will become less so...

...If we break down into tribes the outlook is less positive, and the outcome is likely to match.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 23:20 
Life Member
Life Member

GreenShed wrote:
PeterE wrote:
On compliance:

Quote:

Well Mr. Rodger, you are wrong. What is strict about the compliance that is policed in the UK, recommendations are only exceptional enforcement of the speed limit or breath-alcohol is carried out below a generous allowance for both offences. How much spirit does he suggest is acceptable? Too much in my opinion; his views are obviously as a result of being misinformed or perhaps not being informed at all.

You appear to be assuming that he is mainly talking about speed limits, this may not be the case, consider for example being fined for entering a bus lane to make a left turn five yards too early.

That aside what allowance is there for speeding? There are the acpo prosecution limits, however even if you successfully show you were travelling under that limit if you were still over the speed limit you will be fined. I believe you may have even raised the point that this is to be expected as you are still speeding.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 08:41 
User

There are the acpo prosecution limits, however even if you successfully show you were travelling under that limit if you were still over the speed limit you could be fined. I have raised the point that this may be expected if the manner of driving warrants it and you are still speeding. That is in the ACPO speed enforcement guide lines.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 09:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone who thinks speed signage is smple, clear and consistent is either ignorant or simply wrong.

The NSL single lane road near my house was 60mph until recently when it was changed to :40: Is it now consistent for that road type, which hasn't changed whatsoever, or was it consistent before?

With what is it consistent? Road width? Population? Lighting? Whether there's a grass reservation distancing people from traffic?

No, It's on a whim.

Look at the many reduced limits to :20: They haven't even looked at the evidence or researched the matter before implementation; just the usual obsessive 'slower must be better'.

I too could present here, pictures of roads where the disparity between speed limits and road types makes a complete mockery of common sense, logic or balance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 09:38 
User

Big Tone wrote:
Anyone who thinks speed signage is smple, clear and consistent is either ignorant or simply wrong.

The NSL single lane road near my house was 60mph until recently when it was changed to :40: Is it now consistent for that road type, which hasn't changed whatsoever, or was it consistent before?

With what is it consistent? Road width? Population? Lighting? Whether there's a grass reservation distancing people from traffic?

No, It's on a whim.

Look at the many reduced limits to :20: They haven't even looked at the evidence or researched the matter before implementation; just the usual obsessive 'slower must be better'.

I too could present here, pictures of roads where the disparity between speed limits and road types makes a complete mockery of common sense, logic or balance.

:clap: Spot on Tone, there is no logic at all these days.