The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 00:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spatial awareness.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 21:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Here or "Brainstorming" -can't make up my mind.
It's observations of the public at large on the move on foot.

I've recently developed a hip problem. Like car transmission problems, only cure is replacement parts .( And at moment I'm not too keen,as GE is a nice MRSA source and research says it raises stroke chances. And then as for hospitals- I'm a coward- so sorry, Tone ,for the moment ,you don't get to see me in a bed in GE :shock: ).
But it's made me more aware of the dozy bints in supermarkets, and by applying COAST principles ,I manage to avoid any serious problems.
This make me wonder ,if the general public on foot can be so unaware of others around, just how unaware are they on the road of events happening around them .Addmittedly I have the advantage of serious safety awareness training. On track - you don't only look out for a train- you listen for one. But ,I've never felt as at risk on track ,as I often do in a supermarket .
Wondered if others have noticed this phenomen.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Spatial awareness.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 23:40 

Yep. I've often thought to myself, if that's how you drive a shopping trolley, I really don't want to see how you drive a car....;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 23:42 

The frightening thing is, they all have BRAKE stickers on their handbags...;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 00:50 
Life Member
Life Member

I know just what you mean.

I grew up in a seaside town, my spatial awareness and gap prediction was honed by years of walking through crowds at 3 to 4 times the median walking pace.

Don't get me started on one finger shopping trolley drifting :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 18:03 
Gold Member
Gold Member

GRABALL-to both replies :clap: :clap:

Toltec wrote:
I know just what you mean.

I grew up in a seaside town, my spatial awareness and gap prediction was honed by years of walking through crowds at 3 to 4 times the median walking pace.

Don't get me started on one finger shopping trolley drifting :D

I spent my teenage years in a fishing/seaside town with narrow streets, so appreciate the similarity. Local subpostmaster found one way of clearing the crowds that had no pavement and walked sheeplike down the middle of the road .He would drive up behind them and shout "mind yer ass missus".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 22:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Apologies to women (it always seems to be them) but the two most annoying things about supermaket shopping are:

- people who place their trolley to obstruct the maximum amount of shelf space while they look round
- people who stop to chat to their friends just inside the entrance or right across an aisle.

In fact, all the issues raised in this thread are about people not thinking about and showing consideration for others. It's like their peripheral vision is impaired by their mental attitude.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 00:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

malcolmw wrote:
Apologies to women (it always seems to be them) but the two most annoying things about supermaket shopping are:

- people who place their trolley to obstruct the maximum amount of shelf space while they look round
- people who stop to chat to their friends just inside the entrance or right across an aisle.

In fact, all the issues raised in this thread are about people not thinking about and showing consideration for others. It's like their peripheral vision is impaired by their mental attitude.

And if they behave like this in life - as graball said "Yep. I've often thought to myself, if that's how you drive a shopping trolley, I really don't want to see how you drive a car...".