Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 19:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Advance Stop Lines
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 00:06 
User

jomukuk wrote:
They are used a lot in 20mph zones...they are used to restrict the width of the road......paint being cheaper than kerbstones etc...
And, as you said, on corners, to force an action on drivers; like slow down to negotiate the artificial corner.

Not a problem in Windermere... we got a real kerb!

Now imagine your path if you were driving a coachload of tourists... and you cannot return to the normal course until your rear wheels have cleared the chicane.
Also at night if intending to turn LEFT, your headlights don't light up anyone crossing the road end - and even if they see your indicator, they see you going to the right (their left) and assume it is safe to cross as you steer away from them!

http://goo.gl/maps/FmXl7
Needless to say the designer of this particular failure does not drive, he travels by bus and train, and this is just one of a number of dangerous or awkward road features he had installed!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 13:01 

Quote:
Needless to say the designer of this particular failure does not drive,

So was totally unsuitable/unqualified for the job. Would you employ a blind person to decorate for you?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 13:09 

Something needs to be done in local authorities to stop them employing the wrong person for the job...these are usually sideways job shifts when a post becomes vacant/redundant. My friend works for an LA, he was on highway maintenance for 30 odd years and now his post has been made redundant has been "shifted" to drains....I'm sure his knowledge of drains is less than mine.

More worrying, the present head of our highways dept, told me in person some 6-7 years ago, that he had just been given that job as the present person left suddenly (because he was fed up of people questioning his dodgy work) and knew little about the job and thought it would be a temporary measure....scary,.... he obviously knows little more now than he did 7 years ago, judging by the daft schemes being implemented still.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 21:45 
User

graball wrote:
Would you employ a blind person to decorate for you?

I'm often asked if Stevie Wonder cuts my hair! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 23:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ernest Marsh wrote:
graball wrote:

I've often wondered if the person designing some of the safety features & road calming i visually challenged, but Iam informed he lives in another town and had no particular knowledge of the traffic problems in this area.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:40 

Quote:
I've often wondered if the person designing some of the safety features & road calming i visually challenged, but Iam informed he lives in another town and had no particular knowledge of the traffic problems in this area.

I am sure that if a survey was done, this would be the case for the majority of LAs. I don't suppose they ever get off their office chair to ever drive the area either....again totally unsuitable for the post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 13:16 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
graball wrote:

On the flipside my dad always said make sure when you get your hair cut you get the barber with the worst haircut to do it, not the one with the best.

Similary getting a car nut to design road layouts is probably a silly idea.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 16:19 

Quote:
Similary getting a car nut to design road layouts is probably a silly idea.

But surely, even you can agree, that a person with no experience of driving or living in the area in question, has fewer abilities than someone with lots of driving experience and has lived in the area and driven it for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:49 
Supporter
Supporter

graball wrote:
But surely, even you can agree, that a person with no experience of driving or living in the area in question, has fewer abilities than someone with lots of driving experience and has lived in the area and driven it for a long time.

Whilst I agree that local knowledge is very important there is a presupposition their, and nn much of the thread, that the road layout should be designed around the needs of the motorist. A non driver could well come up with a layout which was much safer for pedestrians, albeit at some inconvenience to motorists.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:06 
User

malcolmw wrote:
It seems very odd to place the slowest vehicles at the front as all the other faster traffic will need to get past thus causing more unecessary and potentially hazardous interactions between these groups of road users.
It's so they can place themselves in the primary position where they will be seen by other traffic, not at the side where most drivers probably won't see them and even if they do will attempt to overtake with insufficient space.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why don't the cyclists just adopt the "primary position" in the line of traffic like everyone else? They would not be "at the side" and be quite visible to others. Advance stop lines positively encourage cyclists to filter up the inside.

Slower vehicles will always tend to be overtaken by faster ones and hence my point about placing faster traffic at the front so minimising this potential danger. Leaving insufficient space is poor driving but would be irrelevant if no overtaking were required. If you reduce interaction then safety will probably improve.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:15 
User

malcolmw wrote:
Why don't the cyclists just adopt the "primary position" in the line of traffic like everyone else? They would not be "at the side" and be quite visible to others. Advance stop lines positively encourage cyclists to filter up the inside.

I frequently do... although some drivers object vocally to that too. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 09:43 
User

malcolmw wrote:
Err yes, this is the main advantage of riding a narrower vehicle, to filter through and beat the traffic queues. If you don't do this then there isn't much point in riding a bicycle.

Which is not to say that it isn't incumbent on the cyclist to filter with care and the motorist to check mirrors for filtering cyclists before moving off.