Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 15:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm with you there too Claire and I think the term 'primary task' hits the nail on the head. If the heater needs altering or the mob goes off or little Johnny in the back is playing up it is, or should be, anathema to ever lose focus of the primary task.

I've certainly been distracted several times when we’ve had unfamiliar hire cars. You could say, quite rightly, “Well get familiar with everything before you set off. Read the handbook!”, but that just isn't how it works in the real world when you're busy at work and on a tight schedule.

I remember saying, for instance, how an 'idiot light' was driving me nuts up the M6. After getting to the point where I wanted to test the airbag and thumb a lift back I discovered how it, the supposed intelligent car, thought there was a passenger who hadn't done up the seatbelt. It was my laptop sitting there, in a bag with other small goodies. :x

More recently, another distraction in a Kangoo we have turned out to be some dumb arrows telling me to change up or down gear. I'll say when I want to do that thank you! :x

Talk about reinventing the bloody wheel! :banghead: What’s worse, I think it’s becoming the norm. My work colleague has the same feature on his brand new Astra :doh: These, to me, are exactly what I'm talking about. Pointless, unnecessary and ill-thought-through distractions. Aint got them on my ole Micra Image OH MY! How on earth will I cope!!! :roll:

Reminds me of the truism "Why have they done it? Well, because they can". Like so much of what I see today... :banghead:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 18:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
That bit about "buttons" and lights leasds me to another pet hate. What continuity of signage is there between makers? . I've got a small hatch,where with the rear seats down I get a red flashing chair sign to tell me the rear seats are not locked . Fair enough if I'd just put them up and fitted a child seat in . :headbash:

Profile Send private message