The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 01:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:04 
User

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-22728917
BBC News wrote:
The Nottinghamshire village with eight speed limits

A motoring organisation has said a Nottinghamshire village which has eight different speed limits in just over a mile of road may be confusing drivers.

The village of Zouch, on the Nottinghamshire-Leicestershire border, has seven different limits between itself and the next village of Hathern.
A further speed limit lies in the opposite direction on the A6 towards Kegworth.
The county council said it had imposed the limits for safety reasons.

'Myriad of speed limits'
Paul Watters, head of roads policy with the AA, said: "It's one of the worst instances we have heard of, but we live in an age of a myriad of speed limits.
"If there are too many different speed limits, drivers may feel confused. They tend to watch the signs and not the roads, and that can cause accidents.
"As a driver, you shouldn't have to keep referring to what the signs say. You should be able to judge what the speed is by the road and the environment.
"Consistency is always better. We believe in rationalisation and making it as easy as possible for drivers to comply with the limits."

Jacky Ashley, landlady of the Rose and Crown pub in the village, said she found it difficult to remember which speed limit she was driving in even though she was familiar with them.
However, she said she hoped the limits would make drivers slow down.
"We're just a little hamlet and people drive down the main road far too quickly," she said.

'De-cluttering'
According to the parish council, Zouch has a population of 53 people. The village of Hathern lies just over the border in Leicestershire.

Leicestershire county councillor David Snartt, who chairs Charnwood's highways forum, said he was looking at ways of reducing signage in the district.
He said: "We should try not to confuse drivers, especially if they are not familiar with the road. It's a balance between highway safety and de-cluttering."

Chris Charnley, from Nottinghamshire County Council's highways division, said: "Originally the majority of the main road - the A6006 - was 60mph. In 2005, a 50mph limit was imposed to the east of Zouch as part of an accident remedial scheme.
"At the same time a 40mph limit was imposed through the village. The aim of the scheme was to manage speed which had been identified as a contributory factor in incidents.
"Last year, a 30mph speed limit was introduced to cover the built area. This is similar to the situation in Hathern where a 30mph speed limit exists with a 40mph buffer."

I trust the residents are aware of the cost of each of those signs, and installing them. As to whether anyone actually enforces them... that is a different matter!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 16:03 

I thought the regs state that a speed limit shouldn't be less than 600metres in length so how they can get 8 within a mile is unbelievable...unfortunately the people that set speed limits don't seem to read the Dept for Transport Guidelines...the lack of professionalism in "road safety" quarters is staggering....I'm just glad these people aren't sparkies, gas fitters or builders....the death rate would be staggering.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 17:56 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

graball wrote:
I'm just glad these people aren't sparkies, gas fitters or builders....the death rate would be staggering.

Oh wait...

How many road deaths result from stupid signing, marking and design? :scratchchin:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 13:12 

8?

The possible speed limits in the UK are 20,30,40,50,60, and 70mph, that's 6.

How do they get 8, or is it just bad reporting? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 15:06 

You count down then count up again, I suspect...;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 05:00 

graball wrote:
You count down then count up again, I suspect...;-)

Quote:
eight different speed limits

Eight changes in speed limit yes, but two 30mph zones are not two different speed limits, they are the same limit twice.

Like I said, bad reporting.

And if they are set realistically, i.e. to speeds a sensible person would drive at normally then what does it matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 00:54 
Site Admin

Sadly this awful implementation of speed cushioning is rife all over the place !

They do seem to have counted down and up again !
This devalues the speed limits and how they are set. IMHO Councils need to be clearly reminded how settings ought to be set instead of being left to their own often mis-guided devices.
It is an utter shambles to imply that safety rests on the speed limit. If they just made sure that they made their 30mph clear and placed properly, they wouldn't need to be so paranoid as to place loads of extra controlling commands! It would help their road safety far more if they used good engineering and sound science.

The 600m is interesting, needs confirming.