Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 05:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why do they do that?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:34 

Big Tone wrote:
It's comments like yours which makes people doubt your experience, ability or hidden agenda. ..

+1
:clap: :clap: :clap:

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:35 
User

Big Tone wrote:
It's comments like yours which makes people doubt your experience, ability or hidden agenda. ..

No tone, naturally, if I'm overtaking a vehicle on SC doing 20 in a 50 and I can see something coming, but consider it's far enough away for me to make the to make the manoeuvre (and I can tell it's not coming at 100mph) I'll probably do it like any other road user.

Your nitpicking here is tiresome and pointless.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:41 

Quote:
if I'm overtaking a vehicle on SC doing 20 in a 50 and I can see something coming, but consider it's far enough away for me to make the to make the manoeuvre (and I can tell it's not coming at 100mph

Your very wording in this statement is exactly what Tone and i mean, it's the sort of statement a 10 year old who doesn't have a clue about driving might make.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:42 
User

graball wrote:
Quote:
if I'm overtaking a vehicle on SC doing 20 in a 50 and I can see something coming, but consider it's far enough away for me to make the to make the manoeuvre (and I can tell it's not coming at 100mph

Your very wording in this statement is exactly what Tone and i mean, it's the sort of statement a 10 year old who doesn't have a clue about driving might make.

Really? why?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:53 

Ok, here we go....

(1) How often do you get someone driving at 20MPH in a 50MPH limit, maybe one driver in a million or more.

(2) How often are you likely to see a driver coming at you doing 100MPH in a 50MPH limit?

Again one in a million or more.

Totally childish examples of everyday driving scenarios. (unless you live in a strange part of the world that I have yet to experience)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:57 
User

graball wrote:
Ok, here we go....

(1) How often do you get someone driving at 20MPH in a 50MPH limit, maybe one driver in a million or more.

(2) How often are you likely to see a driver coming at you doing 100MPH in a 50MPH limit?

Again one in a million or more.

Totally childish examples of everyday driving scenarios. (unless you live in a strange part of the world that I have yet to experience)

You don't? I regularly see farm vehicles doing such speeds.

And it's not likely that the oncoming vehicle one can see is doing 100mph, but I like to make sure I know how fast it's coming before I pull into it's lane, I'd look at it twice and check it's position before doing so so I can get a gauge of it's oncoming speed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:06 

And the proportion of farm vehicles on the roads that you see on a daily basis, compared to the number of cars?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

No tone, naturally, if I'm overtaking a vehicle on SC doing 20 in a 50 and I can see something coming, but consider it's far enough away for me to make the to make the manoeuvre (and I can tell it's not coming at 100mph) I'll probably do it like any other road user.

Ride or drive with an IAM guy, they wouldn't call it nit picking. In fact you would get a demerit for dithering.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:17 

Besides which, farm vehicles are seen on rural NSLs, most of the time, I only know of a couple of 50MPH routes round here and they are semi urban freeways, not the sort of road you are ever going to see farm vehicles on, or the likelyhood of a 20MPH ditherer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:38 
User

Big Tone wrote:
weepej wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

Ride or drive with an IAM guy, they wouldn't call it nit picking. In fact you would get a demerit for dithering.

But tone, if if was clear an overtake is possible I'd do it, I wouldn't sit behind a vehicle I wanted to overtake if I can just see a vehicle ahead, miles away, that I'm not going to interfere with if I pull into their lane, that's all in your imagination that I'd drive like that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:40 
User

graball wrote:
Besides which, farm vehicles are seen on rural NSLs, most of the time, I only know of a couple of 50MPH routes round here and they are semi urban freeways, not the sort of road you are ever going to see farm vehicles on, or the likelyhood of a 20MPH ditherer.

graball, what I gave was an EXAMPLE.

Now tell me you never come across farms vehicles (or other vehicles) doing low speeds on NSL or 50.

It happens, not too often, but it happens. Say it doesn't!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:59 

Quote:
Now tell me you never come across farms vehicles (or other vehicles) doing low speeds on NSL or 50.

yes , weepy, I know that even a five year old knows that you see farm vehicles, occassionally, on rural roads but I'm not going to get into a nit picking exercise with you.

The point we are trying to make is, that the majority of examples you use to get your point over, aren't really real life scenarios.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 13:22 
User

graball wrote:
The point we are trying to make is

We?

Have you all had a little discussion off site?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 15:07 

No but I think Tone and I can see where your arguements fall down and it seems we have the same opinion from that angle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 15:12 
User

graball wrote:
No but I think Tone and I can see where your arguements fall down and it seems we have the same opinion from that angle.

Doesn't sound like it's me that needs the lesson if you assume a driver in the distance in a 50 limit is not exceeding 50 as they approach, and you've never had to overtake a vehicle doing 20 on a single carriageway.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 15:46 

Quote:
Doesn't sound like it's me that needs the lesson if you assume a driver in the distance in a 50 limit is not exceeding 50 as they approach, and you've never had to overtake a vehicle doing 20 on a single carriageway.

Wow more lies, inaccuracies and assumptions....any wonder people can't take you seriously?

Assuming someone is not exceeding 50MPH is not saying that they are likely to be doing 100MPH is it?

And I've not said that I've never had to overtake a 20MPH vehicle in a 50MPH limit, just not an often occurrence....big difference to your assumptions I'm afraid.

NEXT!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 20:56 
User

Thank you all for your replies and for bearing with me, as I only have time to play down at the internet at weekends these days.

I should perhaps point out that I was refering to single cariageway roads and am located in West Yorkshire - maybe it is an "area" thing. If so I hope it doesn't spread. I can't recall having seen such behavior on motorways or dual carriageways.

And yes, I also sometimes get the prats who suddenly find the accellerator as soon as they know they are being overtaken - dangerous lunatics who should be locked up for attempted murder. Fortunately this does not affect me so much in the 2.2tdci mondeo as it did in the non turbo diesel Pug 106 I had a few years back.

Paul Sample referred to these idiots as the "HE's not getting past ME" brigade.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 22:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Simple solution to the overtake problem in a normal /low powered car . I'm lucky in that mine has a turbo ,but unlucky in that its's an oil burner which means a short rev range. If I get a chance and not obstructed, I;ll pass normally,after watching the car in front. But if I suspect one of the pratts who try to speed up when I pass, and especially if I know the road ,I'll hold back and build up speed to bring in the turbo to give ma the advantage. One other thing is that after my years /miles on the road ,i'm adept at road reading and most often feel that round the next corner is a straight. Hold back, increase speed to a good differential ready for overtake .If safe go for it ,knowing that Mr pratt is on a loser . If not ,slow down and pull back in . A lot of the time, this indicates to the car in front that you'll out run him and they give up any silly ideas .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 18:14 
User

weepej wrote:
graball wrote:

graball, what I gave was an EXAMPLE.

20 - 30 mph farm vehicles very common around here (rural cambs).

100 mph traffic (or close to) in NSL (or ex NSL 50mph zones): not un-common actually ! Often perfectly safe to do that speed

never assume anything!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 18:38 
Site Admin

weepej wrote:
graball wrote:
You don't? I regularly see farm vehicles doing such speeds.
By taking a general situation that is being discussed, and then using an exception often leaves the reader feeling like you are suiting the 'general argument' under discussion to then suit a rare event. It's that kind of discussion where 'someone can never be wrong' type of thing ... and so hence the less than serious' attitude that people treat you with.
It can also take an interesting and serious discussion into a trivial side track over single odd events that was never being discussed in the first place.

Explaining a detailed overtaking manoeuvre in words is never as easy as showing someone.
I am sure that it will be on you tube somewhere ...

However back to the topic ...