Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:22 
Site Admin

For sure and this is the point that I often make on air that our Visual Perspective is altered to preserving our licences than from prevention of damage to people and property.
Our livelihoods and lifestyle require our licences so our priority is altered.
Whilst we now can spend time observing the speedo in favour of concentration to the road ahead and on trap locations around every bend and over every hill or around every side street and past every urban tree or hedge plus looking at every possible van and spycar as all opportunities to lose your licence we ARE unable to focus, think or concentrate on aspects of road safety that WILL have made us safer and better drivers !
It is disgusting ...
It was briefly that I pondered IF there was ANY possible observation benefit but no it just does damage. Even as a reminder or repel (France) reminder to driving ti just doesnt work because you are still stopping from observing REAL hazards and REAL potential problems.
So no there is NO benefit that I can find.
If anyone can think of one I will genuinely consider it ... and look for Stats or other back up to support it or to condemn it.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 23:14 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
For sure and this is the point that I often make on air that our Visual Perspective is altered to preserving our licences than from prevention of damage to people and property.
Whilst we now can spend time observing the speedo in favour of concentration to the road ahead and on trap locations around every bend and over every hill or around every side street and past every urban tree or hedge plus looking at every possible van and spycar as all opportunities to lose your licence we ARE unable to focus, think or concentrate on aspects of road safety that WILL have made us safer and better drivers !
It is disgusting ...
It was briefly that I pondered IF there was ANY possible observation benefit but no it just does damage. Even as a reminder or repel (France) reminder to driving ti just doesnt work because you are still stopping from observing REAL hazards and REAL potential problems.
If anyone can think of one I will genuinely consider it ... and look for Stats or other back up to support it or to condemn it.

safespeed,

Totally understand and agree with your post. Cameras and the like have degraded intelligent driving in this country. We no longer read the road, we read the yellow.

My good news is that - - - no fixed penalty!! God, what a relief.

Alex.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 14:32 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
It is disgusting ...

Absolutely. One thing I don't like is seeing a white van parked by the roadside with its rear doors open. Particularly white vans with red and yellow chevrons on the rear doors (Virgin Media, I don't like you). What else am I to think other than, "That's a safety camera van?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 15:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I like to feel that I am quite observant. Observant enough to look for unmarked car drivers wearing reflective jackets. My plea to builders and dustmen going to work is "don't wear hi-viz in the car". It just winds me up unnecessarily.

You are right about the proliferation of vans with chevrons and "motorway management" on the back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 20:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
I've found that part of my brain is subconsciously looking for cameras and vans out of place ( such as partly hidden under trees in a laybye ). I've noticed of late that camera vans ( those I OCCASIONALLY see locally) have little rearward markings as it's usually on the side. Often what I will spot in places i don't normally travel through are the road markings. There used to be one place ( Reading comes to mind), that tried to be clever and paint the markings on the edge of the pavement . Again, as for the cars, I notice that unmarked cars almost always have local plates .Round my way it's almost always BX 56-- 62 , this is from local observations and PH mIDLANDS UNMARKED post.
What might be educational is if an increase in unmarked cars( police ,not jobsworths) does anything on limiting bad driving, or is it another tax evasion purge .( OK, I agree with a clampdown on no insurance/MOT), but is anything done to ADVISE/EDUCATE on bad driving.
(Other than a ticket to attend some form of driving course).

on the HI VIS topic - I used to wear mine to work on the principle that if I had to stop somewhere iffy ,I was already highly visible, rather than having to get it on and the seconds could be fatal .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 23:16 
Site Admin

Just have to observe everything and if you over-observe, try not to become too paranoid! :(
Car positioning usually give away real police if that helps.

Yep know what you all mean about van colours - although Country-wide everything from blue, green and white with various colours makes nearly every van a potential hazard. Please note I am talking here about observing a scam-van, as it is wise and sensible to do so, not because of travelling faster than the posted limit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 22:35 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Van colours might make for an interesting topic. And perhaps another post. Warks ones are white, with a separate video feed up high on the rear panel.