Food & Drink

Home
News
Greater Manchester News
M60

Drivers let off speeding fines because of a row between highways bosses

Nov 22, 2014 06:00
By John Scheerhout

The cameras along the M60 and M62 - 32 of which are currently working - have been trapping speeders, but no fines issued because of a wording on the technical order

Tweet
+1
Email

DISPUTE: The average speed cameras have been clocking motorists but no fines have been issued

Hundreds of motorists clocked speeding through extensive motorway roadworks have escaped prosecution - because of a dispute between highways chiefs.

The MEN has learned that not a single speeding fine has been issued since the first of 50 average speed cameras were placed on the M60 and M62 three weeks ago.

It is understood that a spat over paperwork has led to hundreds of speeding motorists escaping punishment.
Google
The roadworks on the M60 and M62, between junction 8 and M62 Junction 20

The speed limit has been set at 50mph through a 17-mile stretch of motorway from junction 8 of the M60 at Stretford to junction 20 of the M62 at Rochdale as work starts on a £208m upgrade.

The cameras are in perfect working order but it is understood police have refused to issue fixed penalty notices, blaming Highways Agency officials for failing to obtain the correct ‘traffic regulation order’ which makes any speed limit lawful.
How the Smart Motorway will look

A source told the MEN: “It just wasn’t worded properly. We challenged them about it but they’ve done nothing about. The order they came up with would have been challenged at some point and we would have lost, resulting in an enormous payout years from now.

“It means no-one has been prosecuted or handed a fixed penalty notice for speeding since the cameras were switched on. Motorists aren’t daft. They’ll work it out in the end. The Highways Agency need to sort this out fast.”

A spokesman for the Highways Agency said: “Greater Manchester Police, who are responsible for enforcement on the scheme, have requested that we make minor revisions to the wording of the temporary traffic regulation order for the M60/M62 to make sure it fully meets their requirements.
The M.E.N went to meet road workers and find out about the risks from passing traffic VIEW GALLERY

“We urge drivers to be responsible and to adhere to the speed limit which has been put in place for their own safety and that of our workforce”.

Unveiling the latest phase of the ‘smart motorway’ plan last week, Highways Agency bosses confirmed 32 average speed check cameras were up and running with a further 16 to come into operation imminently.

The cameras will remain until the project is completed in autumn 2017.

Mobile police patrols have continued to trap speeders on the motorway.

GMP were unable to comment on the matter last night."

Meanwhile, there hasn't been any reports of roadworkers being injured/killed and no reports of the horrors predicted if speed limits are not reduced during road works.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 13:42 
New User
New User

The lack of accidents though could be down to several things:

(1) Despite all the speed cameras and cones being in place for many weeks, I have yet to see a single worker along the M60 north. As far as I can see no work whatsoever is taking place.

(2) The congestion makes it unlikely you can exceed 20mph never mind 50.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 00:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
kzb- :welcome: as a new poster. The accident figures were not in question. What is/was is the fact that yet again "Road Safety" bosses can't get things right (but no fines issued because of a wording on the technical order). No doubt SCP would have happily sent out demands, but in this case the police did their job and looked to see that the demands of the law were being upheld. No doubt the bloke who lives in a hut painted green will be along to tell us that local Police are wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 14:00 
New User
New User

Probably I have not kept on topic for the thread, sorry about that. I could not resist getting one in about the M60 (this is the M25 of Manchester).

I'm not sure if I'm a new poster. I could/ve posted on here previously, but it will be years ago if I did!

I use the M60 "valley of death" section between Bury and the M62 junction daily. It's been noted that vehicles travelling from M62 to Yorkhire face 17 miles of 50mph limit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 02:56 
Site Admin

Well Welcome kzb anyway ! It looks like your first post was on 20th July 11 :
viewtopic.php?p=241143#p241143
You are a new poster until you reach 10 posts... :)

kzb wrote:
...I could not resist getting one in about the M60 (this is the M25 of Manchester). I'm not sure if I'm a new poster. ...
I use the M60 "valley of death" section between Bury and the M62 junction daily. It's been noted that vehicles travelling from M62 to Yorkhire face 17 miles of 50mph limit.

It's slight off topic but we try not to chastise people too much as long as the side track doesn't extend too far... and then we might split the thread.

It almost reads like perhaps there was some kind of 'intent' to make the Order incorrect, however there is no basis for this. It is curious however that unless the HA gets the Order correct that it seems that the Police cannot force them to do so. All the Police can do is to patrol. Now considering that we know that TRL595 proves that police at roadworks make the roadworks safer by 27% then perhaps it is perfectly correct that there have been few incidents, however roadworks with police and cameras (granted Gatso's for the TRL595 study) the police made it safer by 27% and with the cameras worse by 13%. However it wont cancel out when you have both!

It would be good to see the longer term study of avcams over recent years and the effect on drivers and on those roads neigh identical (inc volume and density of traffic) roads without the avcams and neigh identical vol & density of traffic.
Dave Finney has done some excellent work in this area that is of great interest. http://speedcamerareport.co.uk/04_rtm.htm