The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 04:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 20mph speedcams
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 15:31 
User

Folks,

First off, Happy Xmas everyone.

Anyway, today (boxing day) I was driving down a main city road in Bristol, slowly as usual. Suddenly I spotted a new speedcam. At the same moment I saw a circled '20' painted on the road. Quickly dropped my speed from 30mph to 20mph but I don't know which way the speedcam was pointing and when the '20' zone started. As it was quiet I wasn't in a stream of traffic so it's all down to me.

Driving further through the city I noticed lots more '20' zones mixed in with the '30' zones. There doesn't seem any definite pattern for the '20's and '30's but there must be some reasoning behind it.

Tomorrow I'll take the bus back into the city and have a close look at the speedcam that I passed. If it was pointing away from me I'll be OK as I slowed quickly enough. If it was facing me and I was already in the '20' zone my clean licence is at risk again. :(

Warning to everyone. Watch out for the '20' zones if you don't already!

Alex.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 20mph speedcams
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 17:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes, happy Christmas to all and here’s to a peaceful new year. (Fat chance with so many fanatical terrorists out there though sadly).

I used to feel when I was on familiar territory I could concentrate on the roads more, because I know all the limits for wherever I may go. But it’s become more frequent in recent times that I’ll come across old familiar roads with new lower limits. :o

As always, I could understand if it was at an accident black spot, or there had been just one accident. But it isn’t and is so obvious that it’s just more dumbing-down. :banghead:

So to cater for the dithering old man wearing thick specs with the alertness of a blow up doll and a juvenile Jack-the-lad who wouldn’t recognise dangerous behaviour if it bit him on the ass, (or care less about the risk he poses to others), we must ALL do 20 mph.

It’ll have to get much more silly yet, with prosecutions to even the most staunch BRAKEite before the pendulum swings back to common sense...

Cheers Alex

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 01:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Reminded of this today watching a program on Bentleys- where the only place they could go to exceed :20: was Brooklands. Getting more like UK today. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 03:08 
Site Admin

A Very Happy New Year to all ! :) Hope that you all have a super year ! :)

Yeah the 20mph make no sense whatsoever.

Sadly some Councils have gone ahead. The Brighton extensions are being met with a lot of opposition however.
I must say though I haven't seen much sign of any 20mph enforced with cameras so if it is can you take a piccy cooler and post it up or send it to me please ? :)