Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 19:13 

<Edited>

OK. I still feel there are double-argument rationale flaws within the overall construct, but we'll leave it there eh? :wink:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 00:31 
Site Admin

SafeSpeed wrote:
If you can find anything at all that might be dubious (let alone incorrect), I want to hear about it. I give you (and everyone else for that matter) my absolute promise to correct any error as soon as possible. Such promises exist on the first page of this web site, and there is even an empty forum topic for just this purpose.

Rigpig wrote:
OK. I still feel there are double-argument rationale flaws within the overall construct, but we'll leave it there eh? :wink:

So that's another vague smear totally lacking in substance then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 17:39 

SafeSpeed wrote:
3) It sounds like a valid objection to suggest that we shouldn't trust crap drivers to drive safely (and frequently, in particular, to set safe and appropriate speeds). But trust them we must - there is simply no alternative.

OK, heres the rub. Personally I think that the two elements of this point do not make comfortable bedfellows. But hey, it's your website and campaign, and if you are happy with it as a construct then fine, it's your parts in the grinder after all :lol:

Can I just make another comment, about the SS site as a whole (stupid to pose it as a qustion because I'm going to anyway :wink: ).
Take the 12mph argument as an example. I had to read the whole thing through no fewer than 3 times, deconstructing each segment on a seperate sheet of paper as I went, before I finally got the point! The same is true of much of the other content, it gives the impression of a 'smoke and mirrors' argument. Is it possible to distil the salient points into a few lines with a link to the full text of the argument perhaps? Dunno, just thinking aloud here.

Yours

Jeff 'rigpig' Davis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:08 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

and now councils are extending the lower speed limits for miles and miles outside of the villages.. under the quiet lanes proposals. They are at the same time making the potential area of conflict tween the authoroties and the general law abiding public even greater than it once was.

what were safe roads are now to become more dangerous, for as u know driving below the 85th perentile makes you a more dangerous driver than one driving at the 85th percentile..

hey ho..

rgds
bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 15:22 
User

Ok, so what this tell us is that local councils and councillors are easily influenced by "expert opinion" on road safety - and the people presenting themselves as "experts" are the cycling liberation front, so-called green activists, Transport 2000 (spits!), Reclaim the Streets, etc etc, all of whom are getting their message heard, while the ABD, Safe Speed, motorcycle organisations and the like are not. Why is this? It surely can't be lack of visibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 16:27 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

cjb,

didn't you know ""speed kills"" , it's the answer for everything..

the buy line was invented by a pr agency, and they the industry then made loads of money advertising the buy line..

cynical ? yep I am.. Honest law abiding member of the human race Yes..Fed up Yes. Cross Yes, & so cross I am going to poke the next blokes eyes out that says, u are not law abiding if u break the speed limit..

rgds
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 17:05 
User

Bill wrote:
cjb,

didn't you know ""speed kills"" , it's the answer for everything..

the buy line was invented by a pr agency, and they the industry then made loads of money advertising the buy line..

cynical ? yep I am.. Honest law abiding member of the human race Yes..Fed up Yes. Cross Yes, & so cross I am going to poke the next blokes eyes out that says, u are not law abiding if u break the speed limit..

Agreed, we've entered a topsy-turvy world where speed cameras are seen as a good thing while drivers who drift over the limit by 1mph are seen as evil, even though the speed cameras kill ten times as many people as speeding drivers. It's a ludicrious situation.