The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fuel Protest?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 15:10 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Odin wrote:
No because both fuel duty and VAT on fuel are percentages, thus as the principal sum rises, the amount taken increases.
Fuel duty is not a percentage, it's a fixed sum, currently 50.35p per litre for both unleaded and diesel.

VAT is a percentage, so the government does make more from VAT as the base fuel price rises.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 15:16 
User

Quote:
Fuel duty is not a percentage, it's a fixed sum, currently 50.35p per litre for both unleaded and diesel.

Oops, I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 20:12 
User

PeterE wrote:
VAT is a percentage, so the government does make more from VAT as the base fuel price rises.

Not from Hauliers though right as they can claim it back?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 20:29 
User

Quote:
Not from Hauliers though right as they can claim it back?

Do you know I'm not 100% sure, under normal VAT rules yes, provided the haulier was VAT registered then they could claim back the VAT. I will have to look into that a little more, because there may well be specific rules with regard to VAT on fuel, hence the red diesel for agricultural vehicles.

But provided that they mostly do claim back VAT it shows the extent of the windfall for government from private road users.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 22:00 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ziltro wrote:
weepej wrote:
camerasaremoneyspinners wrote:
but since Britian has the highest fuel duty in the world

You sure about that?

Can you find a country where it's higher?
50.35p/litre tax plus 17.5% VAT on top of the price of fuel AND the tax. Last fuel I bought was about 54% tax in total.

See:

http://www.opec.org/home/PowerPoint/Tax ... xation.htm

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 22:06 
User

PeterE wrote:

I'm looking at this which suggests ( if the cost of the base product is the same) that Norway, Netherlands and Belgium have higher fuel tax regimes than the UK.

Can't find any info on the makeup of the prices though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 19:04 
New User
New User

Can anyone who has had a belly full of inflated fuel prices PLEASE register at this forum. Its new but all we need are members.

Please also, if you can, advertise the url on as many websites as you can.

Thanks

http://thefuelprotestforum.mybb3.org/index.php

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 03:42 
Site Admin

Ziltro wrote:
Mmm. If another country has higher tax that doesn't make the UK tax ok, it means the other country is even more ridiculously overtaxed.

"overtaxed" is in the Firefox dictionary. :lol:

Unless - of course - if there tax covered road repairs, if they had no Road Fund Licence or VED, or if it also covered a 3rd party insurance etc., etc., then the people in that Country if it were like that would perhaps be content.
So 'just' because it MAY be more expensive, it does not necessarily make it 'wrong'.
It is the horrific strangulation hold that this Government has over the drivers of the Land, and the total imbalance of ALL the costs drivers have to bare in this Country, plus all the authorised, allowed fines from 'The Authorities' and private companies, and then all the improper 'fines' put onto drivers the legal and illegal ones, that is adding to the hardships faced by the people of this land.
Insurance companies are getting increasingly concerned that a third of all drivers lie to their insurance Company (invalidating their insurance), this of course has an increasing, knock on effect.
The effects to the UK economy from the costs that are having to be born by drivers is of extreme concern.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:44 
Suspended
Suspended

It makes me laugh now the number of 4x4s I see crawling along NSL dual carriageway at 40. Set light to it and get a £1,000, 50mpg Audi 80.

It also makes me laugh the number of people who bought 200k houses as first time buyers earning 20k p/a on 100% mortgages simply because the mortgage company lent them the money.

The number of people who have absolutely no economic foresight deserve to be punished in the harshest way. Living 'opposite' to the current business cycle is the way to go. In boom times, bust yourself so that in bust times you can boom.

Thanks for listening.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 22:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

mpaton2008 wrote:
It makes me laugh now the number of 4x4s I see crawling along NSL dual carriageway at 40. Set light to it and get a £1,000, 50mpg Audi 80.

It also makes me laugh the number of people who bought 200k houses as first time buyers earning 20k p/a on 100% mortgages simply because the mortgage company lent them the money.

The number of people who have absolutely no economic foresight deserve to be punished in the harshest way. Living 'opposite' to the current business cycle is the way to go. In boom times, bust yourself so that in bust times you can boom.

Thanks for listening.

tis better to own banks, than owe banks :)