The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Speed Camera Documentary
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 21:25 
New User
New User

Hello

I am a student at the University of Glamorgan studying in my final year of a Media Production degree with my major in broadcast Journalism. My main project is to create and film a documentary, which I have chosen to base on speed cameras and how they affect the road user. I would be very grateful if I could meet with someone who has been caught and/or a represenative against speed cameras and maybe film a short interview to contribute towards my documentary and my degree. My email address is aaronharding171@hotmail.com

Thankyou

Aaron Harding

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 00:06 
Site Admin

Well there are many issues surrounding Speed Cameras as the website analyses.
Road safety is a highly involved and sophisticiated human behaviour that takes good intelligent research, excellent advice and development to help improve the road state conditions.

Key factors in driving are :
skill
knowledge
experience
psychology

beyond that :
concentration / consideration / courtesy
observation - everything possible
anticipation / awareness / attitude - and risk assess each hazard
Space - speed reduction & 2 sec rule - from you and others all about you - control your space
Time - to react to potential hazard and the earliest anticipation of hazard

See - Ten seconds to impact - as avoiding crashes is what Good Road Safety is predominantely all about, Speed Cameras do nothing to achieve this aim and in fact cause more problems through negative effects than they ever solve.
By all means call me ... to discuss further.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:17 
User

You may want to 'liven up' your documentary with camera vandalism. Round by me they have cut them off and set on them fire. Of course this is irresponsible but it gets both pro and anti camera folk's passionate attention.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 14:22 
User

A key ingredient thats not been quoted is "Attitude".

I believe that is THE overriding factor that either makes us safe or makes us less than, its something ive been harping on about for years.
Imagine my surprise the other morning when on the tv news a woman called Nova Storey who lost her son in a road crash came out and said the same thing.
Even more remarkable, she was affiliated with BRAKE.
Yet more remarkable, she didnt place the blame at the door of "speed" ( ill bet Mary was furious) no, she made the case for attitude and never once attempted to push "speed kills" despite the driver doing 85mph, but far more importantly he was over the drink drive limit.

Attitude, it defines what kind of driver we are.

Believe nothing- Question everything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 01:30 
Site Admin

(Actually I did place Attitude in there :) )
There is an interesting chap in Australia working with the Ambulance organisations in the young car driver attitudes and does various questionnaires with them as to the 'Why's' they often drive above their ability etc etc ... I think that it is one step to solving some people's attitude but that is really more about society, and self core, issues and is reflected in their driving. This is very important and is interesting, but it does not address some of the hard core drivers attitude problems.
Some are out there and would drive better if they understood the value of better skills, judgments from knowledge. As someone learns their attitude is improved. You cannot 'just' make someone care they have to understand and learn how to do this.
All drivers care about all the many aspects of driving slightly differently. We need to harness that enthusiasm, than just squash, ignore and then bin it. That teaches by implication that what they knew was wrong, and it worthless, but this may not be the whole picture.