Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 23:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 23:04 
Life Member
Life Member

How is driving at 56mph going to ruin anyone's weekend? As the scamera partnerships would say, "Driving at 70 rather than 80 only adds a minute to your journey", so surely the same applies to driving at 56 rather than 70.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 23:33 
New User
New User

clive wrote:
I still think the Mini lot should join in with our 'go slow' and then there would be no problem. If the protest is stopped because a small group of people find it an inconvenience then it makes a mockery of what a protest is supposed to be about. This is intended to cause some disruption, otherwise we'd just blow raspberries at the talivans whilst farting in their general direction!

This is one of the things that amazes me about the UK. The number of people who are frankly ****** off with contraversial policies such as speed cameras, but when offered the opportunity to do something about it, they just hide behind the sofa and whinge. The problem with the UK as a whole is that we are too used to taking things on the chin and accepting them. The government have grown to take this for granted, and generally understand that there is likely to be little uprising from their actions.

However this all changed a couple of years ago, when the fuel protesters almost succeeded in bringing the UK to a complete transportation standstill with their actions. These guys have my utmost respect, and I think they did an excellent job. They completely stunned the government and caught them completely off-guard which is what these anti-speed cameraprotests need to do. Personally being a bit of an extreme camera-hater, I wouldn't be unhappy seeing a protest of direct-action against speed camera installations, but that then falls on the wrong side of the law.

From my experiences at some other anti-speed camera sites, it is frankly amazing the number of prosecutions for speeding that are dropped, when the accused turns round and fights back. This not only suggests the fact that the speeding policies on the whole are fundamentally flawed, but also shows clear evidence of the government treating us like sheep, and just expecting us to accept what they throw at us.

Post subject: David Edgar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 00:23 
User

:gatso2:

http://www.notsoaccurate.com/Page%201.htm

Visit David's site to see why these 'Government type approved' scameras are utterly fallible and the lengths the scamera pratnerships will go to grab your money.

Wake up people, you are being conned by those you elected to represent you because they view you as an easy target. It's time to protest so stand up and be counted!

Post subject: Re: David Edgar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:52 
Life Member
Life Member

Davepeers wrote:

http://www.notsoaccurate.com/Page%201.htm

Visit David's site to see why these 'Government type approved' scameras are utterly fallible and the lengths the scamera pratnerships will go to grab your money.

Interesting read. It will be enlightening if/when he ever gets his "Type Approval" case to court. I suppose it depends on whether the radar readings are taken as authoritative, whether they just have to be corroborated by the photographs or whether the offence is established purely from the photographic evidence. The bloke appears to be a real-life "Albert Haddock"*, more strength to his quill say I! I'm tempted to pay a visit to Wolverhampton Crown Court on the 28th just to see the fun.

* "Albert Haddock" - a character created by the eminent lawyer, the late Sir Alan Herbert (writing as "A.P.Herbert") in a series of books under the title "Misleading Cases". "Mr Haddock" was an enthusiastic litigant and was used by Sir Alan to highlight some of the odder and more ludicrous points of law that he'd seen in his long career. For example, "Mr Haddock" had chanced upon a "law-abiding prostitute" who paid income tax. He therefore instituted proceedings against the Commissioners of the Inland Revenue for living off immoral earnings. I can't remember whether he won or not! :-).

Post subject: David Edgar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 19:48 
User

Hi Pogo.

Yes I found it a very interesting read too and David Edgar writes with much clarity. I understand the BBC and others are watching this case with much enthusiasm/intrepidation; dependant on which side of the scamera pratnerships they happen to be on!

I'd love Paul Smith to put a link to David's page on his web site, after the M4 Protest because I believe David, as a crusader, needs as much publicity as possible to help fight his cause and expose the lying, cheating pratnerships for what they really are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 19:59 
Life Member
Life Member

Hmm, don't the scammers calculations show that reducing your speed from 80mph to 56mph reduces the accident rate by 120%? :roll:

And to think some people accuse them of making sh!t up! :lol:

Post subject: Statistics
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 20:03 
User

Didn't you know that 74.367% of all statistics are made up? :twisted:

Post subject: Re: David Edgar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 20:19 
User

Davepeers wrote:
I'd love Paul Smith to put a link to David's page on his web site, after the M4 Protest because I believe David, as a crusader, needs as much publicity as possible to help fight his cause and expose the lying, cheating pratnerships for what they really are.

Paul's been on the ball with this one since January...

NOTSO

SafeSpeed isn't rapidly becoming the first port of call for media people looking for the angles on speeding and road safety for nothing you know...

:wink:

Post subject: protest
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 23:30 
New User
New User

have just read through the complete topic, Firstly cant believe the hostilery towards the mini drivers, Also think its unfair of the mini drivers to expect the organisers to change the time/date of the protest, BUT, is this really going to change anything? did the fuel protests ever achieve anything? yes the goverment said they would enter into talks but nothing came of it, and todays "protest" went by with no effect, at the end of the day, laws are there to be obeyed, speed limits are set and we have to stick to them, I dont think they are set at the right speed and I often break the law, but if im caught then I would simply hold my hand up and have to admit I knew what i was doing,
I think the question to ask yourselfs is this, If your son, daughter, mother, father, brother or sister was killed by some one doing 50 in a 40 limit area what would be your feelings? I know what mine would be!
I agree the police should be out there patrolling the roads looking for bad/ dangerous drivers, and that speed cameras are not being used in the right places, but at the end of the day it comes down to the fact that we have laws and we should (try) to stick to them,
sorry for the rant, just my piece on the subject,
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 00:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Zamzara wrote:
Hmm, don't the scammers calculations show that reducing your speed from 80mph to 56mph reduces the accident rate by 120%? :roll:

And to think some people accuse them of making sh!t up! :lol:

Yes, that is exactly what I have heard a scamerati quote on TV: 'For every 1mph reduction in speed, accidents reduce by 5%'. Your maths are absolutely correct: 24mph reduction in speed = a reduction in accidents of 120%.

20% below zero accidents. :? This is a bit metaphysical for me.

Or in layman's terms, it's the usual bollocks.

Rioman, Herts

Post subject: Re: protest
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 08:51 

miniman wrote:
did the fuel protests ever achieve anything? l

Well yes. They canned the fuel tax escalator and delayed the introduction of further duty increases. Protesting does work......But then again maybe you supported the poll tax.

The Government is sh*t scared of upsetting the 28 million drives who are registered voters. Just remember that when they start thinking of mandatory scrapping of cars over 10 years old because they are less safe to pedestrians...think it wont happen?, think again.

Post subject: Re: protest
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 09:02 
User

Gizmo wrote:

Just remember that when they start thinking of mandatory scrapping of cars over 10 years old because they are less safe to pedestrians...think it wont happen?, think again.

WHAT?????

the better come with armed police cos they aint having my motor :evil:

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject: BE NICE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 09:33 
New User
New User

BE NICE IF ALL THE M4 PROTESTERS ALLOWED ALL THE MINIS TO PASS THROUGH THE DEMONSTRATION SO THEY CAN GET ON THEIR WAY TO CORNWALL . IT WOULD LOOK GOOD AS WELL AND WITH LOTS OF HORN TOOTING WOULD SOUND GREAT AND ALL WOULD BE HAPPY . :D

LET ALL THE EMERGENCY SERVICES THROUGH AS WELL.

BE NICE YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE. :D

but when its dark ...Hooooowwllllllllllll :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 09:41 
User

That's the plan - 56mph in lanes 1 and 2 only :)

Post subject: Re: BE NICE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 09:49 

WEREWOOOLF wrote:
but when its dark ...Hooooowwllllllllllll :evil:

Didn't know it was a full moon tomorrow night.. :lol:

Post subject: Re: BE NICE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:32 
New User
New User

Quote:
Didn't know it was a full moon tomorrow night.. :lol:

IT'S NOT ,I HAVE A HANGOVER FROM LAST WEEK :twisted:

NICE TO SEE THAT ALL THE MINIS WILL BE ABLE TO GET THROUGH THE DEMO :)

HOPE IT ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU ,WE'VE JUST BEEN SENT ANOTHER THREE POINTER . :x

still only a silver bullet will stop us :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 15:52 
New User
New User

orange wrote:
"Driving at 70 rather than 80 only adds a minute to your journey..."

How do they know where, or how far, I'm going? The statement itself shows how daft these people are.

I live in Wiltshire & regularly use the M4 stretch in question - there have been far MORE little accidents since the arrival of the scam-vans and that proves 'our' (those of us who support the protest) theories about them - people are looking for them rather than concentrating on the road!

SPEED does NOT kill. SPEEDING, i.e. inappropriate use of speed for a number of conditions, does. People can safely drive at 200mph in Germany (as proven by the mags), but can also die in 30mph accidents - speed in itself therefore cannot be held responsible, there are too many other factors.

I'm working on Sat but fully support this and wish you well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 16:44 
New User
New User

I can't believe these mini guys whingeing. This protest is long overdue, and had to happen somewhere, sometime. It's happening on the M4 because thats where the cameras have been placed. Its happening at the earliest opportune time, and avoiding weekdays so as not to impinge on anyone's livelhood. And its happening BEFORE the election so its just possible its impact might have some real effect.

This is something that affects every motorist - £11m in fines last year are a testament to that. Take a look around some of the info on this site and inform yourself before brushing of this protest as misguided. Whether you appreciate it or not the protest is on your behalf.

This is a national issue, with interest being taken by national bodies like the ABD, national newspapers, and most likely national TV. Its a little churlish to suggest that this should be swayed by a very niche minority interest group because they might me inconvenienced.

Its a shame your club doesn't have a more clued up PR representative, you could have joined in the protest, acheived some free publicity, and maybe increased your membership.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 17:51 

victormeldrew wrote:
Its a shame your club doesn't have a more clued up PR representative, you could have joined in the protest, acheived some free publicity, and maybe increased your membership.

Probably even get their cars on TV... :wink: