Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 22:05 
Life Member
Life Member

Couple of other links:

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4484449

Link to lse.co.uk

Link to icwales.icnetwork.co.uk

(links hidden by moderator to eliminate left-right scroll bar)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 22:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did notice a number of camera's that were of television quality (in my limited experience this means "big enough")

Nothing on national TV or even news 24 - is this Blairs Broadcasting Corporation, or was it really a high news day?

Post subject: News
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 22:49 
User

The best footage was on ITV news.

we were on it, so was Patch and Mrs Patch!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 23:11 
User

I saw me in my 200SX in L1 approaching a flyover (can't remember if it was BBC or ITV news). I'm happy with that :) They were doing a lot of interviews at Membury including Flintstone and myself. I doubt they'll use many of them as other news has buried the protest a little this evening it would appear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 01:13 
User

Quite interesting to note that not once is the use of cameras mentioned in relation to road safety in the following statement from the BBC link:

Sgt Nick Blencowe, from the partnership, said: "We have about 12% of all people being killed and seriously injured on Wiltshire roads happening on this stretch of motorway and that's quite unacceptable.

"We are charged with reducing death and injury on the roads. If we ignore the motorway we are ignoring a major part of that problem."

Perhaps they have FINALLY got the message :shock:

Regards

Andrew

Homer Simpson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

clive wrote:
I saw me in my 200SX in L1 approaching a flyover (can't remember if it was BBC or ITV news). I'm happy with that :) They were doing a lot of interviews at Membury including Flintstone and myself. I doubt they'll use many of them as other news has buried the protest a little this evening it would appear.

Yes, there was a lot of TV crews at Membury. We were interviewed by Sky and by BBC News.

I expect they had tons of interview footage, and cherry-picked the best bits.

We talked for a while to the BBC crew off the record, about the broader issues rather than the specific M4 protest. I have to say they were 100% in agreement and seemed really pleased that people were prepared to stand up and do something to bring the whole issue of cameras into the public domain. This was only one crew, but I would venture to suggest on this evidence that sympathetic coverage in future might be expected. :)

Rioman, Herts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:48 
Supporter
Supporter

I was parked in between both tv crews at membury so they were deffo there, but I watched the news last night on bbc at 10pm and itv at 11pm and nothing was mentioned.

Who ran it then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:36 
Life Member
Life Member

It was mentioned on BBC News 24 in the afternoon, and on the BBC1 News at 17:10.

I presume though that then the Cairo bombings took precedence and bumped it out of later news bulletins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 19:04 

Quote:
We talked for a while to the BBC crew off the record, about the broader issues rather than the specific M4 protest. I have to say they were 100% in agreement and seemed really pleased that people were prepared to stand up and do something to bring the whole issue of cameras into the public domain. This was only one crew, but I would venture to suggest on this evidence that sympathetic coverage in future might be expected.

I know for a fact that this issue will strike a chord with TV news journalists. Why? Because they spend their lives driving around the country chasing news stories and working to incredibly tight deadlines. They are constantly under pressure to be somewhere an hour ago and as a consequence SP30 endorsements are an occupational hazard. One very good BBC journalist friend of mine currently has 3 endorsements on her license as a result of driving a few miles over the limit to meet a deadline (3 separate occasions) and satisfy her demanding employers (and viewing public). I'm not necessarily justifying speeding on these grounds, but all these points were from Scameras and I'm quite sure a sensible trafpol would have been more likely to give a good telling off instead. My point is that any campaign that looks good on TV news is sure to get a good reception from the journos. It's an issue that affects them closely.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 22:44 
User

Rioman wrote:
I have to say they were 100% in agreement and seemed really pleased that people were prepared to stand up and do something to bring the whole issue of cameras into the public domain

This is consistent with what I noticed. I was helping hand out a few flyers and sticky tape as cars parked up. One car I approached declined the offer of a couple of flyers and sticky tape saying that they were media and whilst they were on our side, they wished to appear impartial. Fair enough and good on them for saying they were on our side. They asked where they could find Paul Smith, so I pointed them in his direction. Both the media and the Police all seemed decent enough people. The whole event was pretty peaceful, apart from the tailgaiting coaches and lorries that I've heard reports of.

It is a shame we didn't manage to sneak a few m4protest flyers on the back of one of the police cars. At the beginning of the Membury meet up their car was left unattended for a while, and it would have been a giggle had we fixed a few to their rear bumper and they had driven off without noticing. Childish? Yes, but it would have been all in good humour. Perhaps next time :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 00:32 
User

clive wrote:
It is a shame we didn't manage to sneak a few m4protest flyers on the back of one of the police cars. Perhaps next time :lol:

Except you've gone and warned them now :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 16:56 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

there was a good mention on beeb radio two on the hour.

rgds

Bill
ps and sunday times..

Last edited by Bill on Tue May 03, 2005 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 17:22 
User

Saw an article in the Express on Saturday about it...

...apologies for reading The Express! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 21:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flintstone wrote:
clive wrote:
It is a shame we didn't manage to sneak a few m4protest flyers on the back of one of the police cars. Perhaps next time :lol:

Except you've gone and warned them now :roll:

Well when I went up to the police at Leigh Delamare to leaflet them, one offered to put a sticker on his vehicle :shock: I thanked him profusely but said we didnt want to prejudice his chances of gaining a Sergeantship . They all chuckled and then all took a leaflet :clap:

I genuinely believe most of them are decent chaps who tend to go along with us before they get promoted and politicised. I hope my cheeky leafletting will help them some day speak up for proper policing :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 14:45 
New User
New User

princeperch wrote:
I was parked in between both tv crews at membury so they were deffo there, but I watched the news last night on bbc at 10pm and itv at 11pm and nothing was mentioned.

Who ran it then?

Currently I have the full BBC and ITV reports on DVD, awaiting uploading (I've got to find some hosting first!!)
I'm also collecting press mentions, so that we have a full archive - if anyone still has press clippings, copies would be gratefully received.

Del

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 15:35 

dangermouse wrote:
Currently I have the full BBC and ITV reports on DVD, awaiting uploading (I've got to find some hosting first!!)

I run a hosting company and can provide you space and transfer at cost if you drop me a line. Either PM me, or my e-mail address is in my profile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 22:24 
New User
New User

I can host it for free (not sure if Carl meant cost price). Let me know if you want me to.