The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 02:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Just a note
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 14:26 
New User
New User

Hi,

As I learnt before I passed my test, it is not the speed at which people drive at (within reason), it's the idiot behind the wheel. If speed really killed, we would have no rally drivers, no f1 drivers and no drag racers. Pro speed camera groups seem to make an assumption that ALL drivers can't handle speed and therefore must be restricted, this is totally out of order. I detest people who put everybody into the same group, I get enough of it being a teenager and being grouped with criminals and bad behavior.

I believe that the 30mph limit is a rather good limit in residential areas as it is rather sensible due to children crossing etc, and I also believe that the 60mph limit on single carriageways is rather sensible if the road is bendy (as they ususally are). One thing that annoys me are people that get right up behind me and get frustrated because I go 30 in a 30 limit, this is completely out of order and I believe some people need a bit of respect in these cases.

I do, however agree that the limit should be raised to 80mph for motorways as they are known to be a high speed type of road. Hmm, critics say that people will 'drive faster' if this limit is imposed, well I would say, after doing the maths, people will go about 10mph faster with the new limit in place? Just a hunch :roll:.

On to speed cameras. In some cases they are useful, but where I live there are 2 cameras along the road, when the amount of accidents in the past 5 years that I have been living there are minimal. Also, those who live in the effective area will know the frustration drivers build up along the A47, where they are doing strengthening work (apparently) and have taken a duel carriageway down to a single lane, dropped the limit to 40, and erected roughly 8 speed cameras over a 2-3mile stretch. I don't feel that this is right, even though I stick to the limit (being a new driver with only 6 points maximum of 2yrs), I feel frusted driving at 40 down a duel carriageway where workmen are working at a sluggish speed eating sandwiches all day.

Am I on the same wavelength as everybody else here?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 15:37 

Quote:
I do, however agree that the limit should be raised to 80mph for motorways as they are known to be a high speed type of road. Hmm, critics say that people will 'drive faster' if this limit is imposed, well I would say, after doing the maths, people will go about 10mph faster with the new limit in place? Just a hunch.

The majority already drive at between 80 and 90mph.
As for the good 30mph limit. Yes, in some places but there are plenty of exceptions to this rule where it is safe to drive faster. I believe that everyone knows this deep down but some people just can't admit it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 18:13 
User

Just my own personal opinion on speed limits: Theyre useless.

Im of the opinion (either rightly or wrongly- im sure someone will come along to correct me ;) ) that the safest speed to travel at is the one which road, conditions and car/driver combinations naturally allow/support.
A blanket 30 limit on a racetrack for example would be idiotic, given the abilities of cars and drivers of F1 type.
Throw in a few Ford Anglias with Mavis@90 years old, and the safest speed for them comes down.
To my mind, the safest speed to travel at is dictated by all the above factors, not what a sign says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 18:21 
User

Hi DWard.

I feel youre heading in the right direction, but i must have a little disagreement regarding speed camera "usefulness".

There are NO useful speed cameras. Not one anywhere.
I can say that with absolute conviction.
Why?
Thats answered by the following question and following statement:

How does a speed camera(fixed and mobile) make a positive contribution to road safety at the time of the "offence"(the danger point) when in most cases the first thing the driver knows about it is a £60 tax demand in the post 14 days after the "offence" was comitted?

Answer: It didnt! All it did was take a photo and the driver got a ticket. No contribution to road safety, but a contribution to the scammers and to the treasury.

ALL speed cameras work in this manner and thats why theyre all useless at attempting to produce a road safety benefit.
They are however very good at raising revenue.
Regards DF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 20:36 
User

:gatso2: Hi there. I'm on the same wavelength as you. I sometimes question the need to have a 40mph speed limit on a dual carriageway that's under repair. :scratchchin: I suppose it's all down the fact that you may have a contraflow system in operation, lane closures or loose chippings on the road. I question the need to have so many cameras on the same stretch of road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 09:13 
Life Member
Life Member

The reason to reduce roads to a silly speed limit has more to do with the "new roads and street works act"
over 40 mph there needs to be a wider seperation between the traffic and the roadworkers. often there is no space for this seperation so an extra lane needs to be closed off

You have a choice, 1 lane of stationary traffic or two lanes at a much reduced speed...