The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 23:51 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

anton wrote:
I wonder if the program was nobbled... it may as well have been... very disapointed

can you nobble Trevor Mcdonald, i thought the first park was quite accurate since we were decriminalised the condition of yellow lines / bays etc is quite bad yet still people get booked, the T bar / stop line at the end of DYL is an old one i went to court on one of these many moons ago,

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 00:22 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SafeSpeed wrote:
camera operator wrote:
sorry for going on but why the change on the slip effect 'demonstration' from the side of the vehicle to now the bonnet, better viewing

That stupid graphic? Who the HELL did that? It was meaningless!
Paul, can I assume you were not in a position to review the program content? Who did? Were they up to the job?

The relevant section can be downloaded here (13MB, courtesy of ROOP from PH):

www.aukk22.dsl.pipex.com/PH/lti_20

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:33 
User

The thing that irritated me most on this program, and often annoys me on other programs, was the reporter doing a piece to camera whilst driving. He was holding the steering wheel with one hand and just a loose finger and thumb grip whilst waving his other hand around. At one point he had neither hand on the wheel! Together with the frequent looks into the camera lens I really think this is a practice that should be avoided in the interests of road safety and providing a good example. It may of course be possible that in this particular instance it wasn't filmed whilst driving on the public highway, but I'm sure we've all seen examples where they were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 13:39 
Life Member
Life Member

When I was filmed for a news item they insisted in doing shots in the car whilst I drove.I was wearing a seat belt. the camera man was loose and looking through a camers haunched in whatever position they needed to get "the shot"

I found my self driving with a loose pasenger over speed bumps. somthing I havent done in the last 15 years.

They didn't want graphs or data. Just shots in the garden, washing the car and driving the car. And every news item I have seen has been the same.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 14:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.aukk22.dsl.pipex.com/PH/lti_20

It's gone!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 15:38 
Life Member
Life Member

Why do I think it’s been nobbled? Because they put the spin on it that every one is fighting on technicalities rather than the parking attendant errors, camera errors, and the blatant withholding of evidence that is used to disadvantage people in court.

When we got a positive 1/3 of a page in the Portsmouth news, the local camera partnership got a two page spread a week later. When the story broke that roadwork’s were less safe with cameras, the DFT flooded the news with stories about people hurling abuse and missiles at road workers.

I don't know how it happens but I know it does. :whip:

I have seen the same happen with Medicinal cannabis story for MS. We were getting loads of good press and then we saw a backlash from government and doctors. Middle England didn't like people having cannabis to relieve pain, bladder weakness, balance, enhanced sleep, for fear that a drug crazed person in a wheel chair might make their son smoke crack cocaine or inject heroin. Sadly medicinal cannabis passed it trials in the uk but has not hit the chemist shelves. The Americans will get there first and sell it to us at some exorbitant price.

Cannabis chocolate has as much to do with heroin as numerical speed has to do with road safety. (no, I haven’t got any)

(Subtle last line in a cheeky attempt to get it back on topic :!: )

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Last edited by anton on Sat Nov 05, 2005 15:50, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 15:45 
Site Admin

anton wrote:
I don't know how it happens but I know it does.

More than anything else, it's about resources. Facts can only go so far. To get further you either need more facts or (better) more money.

(Of course, money alone doesn't help - it's the resources that you buy with the money that makes the difference.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 15:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Got to echo what others have been saying about what a let down the programme was. I emailed a few people about the program and suggested they pass on the message to anyone who might be interested (i.e. has a driving licence) but if I'd known it was going to make it look like how to get off on loopholes I wouldn't have bothered. IMO they were trying to cover too much by dealing with signage, parking and issues with the speed guns - should have been one programme for each I think. Inside Out did it better, but even then they were only looking at potential flaws in a certain bit of kit.

How much longer do we have to wait before someone makes an hour's worth of TV about the pitfalls of the bloody system itself? :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 16:00 

PeterE wrote:
The implication of the programme was that motorists were getting off by using loopholes and technicalities rather than that the whole system was flawed.

And nobody made the point sufficiently strongly that, if the authorities expect motorists to adhere to the law in precise detail, then they must do the same.

Yes, thats the way it came across to me as well. Anyone not aware of the background to the progam quite possibly came away with the view that the drivers featured were just a bunch of whingers trying to exploit the law to avoid the penalities for an offence they'd commited.
The ex-cop at the start did emphasise quite clearly that the signs he was using as examples were illegal, not enough emphasis was placed on explaining why it was important the authorities get this right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 17:02 

I agree. The programme was disappointing after I told so many people to watch it.

I feel we aren't looking for loopholes to escape our responsibilities just feel that if we are going to be prosecuted then the prosecutors should stick to the letter of the law as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 17:41 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Brookwood wrote:
I agree. The programme was disappointing after I told so many people to watch it.

I feel we aren't looking for loopholes to escape our responsibilities just feel that if we are going to be prosecuted then the prosecutors should stick to the letter of the law as well.

I see all that as an aside, personally. I feel if we are going to be prosecuted by mechanics, which I find wrong anyway when it is a technical offence and not a real one, then the mechanics must be bombproof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 18:21 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
Disappointing. They had SO MUCH more material that they didn't use. And they could have made MUCH stronger statements.

Oh well. At least it's all coming out slowly.

Dissappointed.... because you 'know' so much more is there to be told, and it wasn't. But, someone looking at it from a 'beginners' perspective will now look for the flaws.
Like you say, it is all coming out slowly, and that is better than not at all. Also doesn't make me look like I am always on my soap box up here in Roadpeace Lancs. Trust me, there are LOTS of members that think the law is always right. :scratchchin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 20:10 
Life Member
Life Member

If that's "investigative journalism" then I'm a little pink pussy-cat. It was PATHETIC.

They even gave airtime to that clown from RoSPA who thought that illegal speed signs were OK because "they told you what the limit was" - no mention of the simple fact that if "they" wish to enforce a technical limit using technical means, they need to be TECHNICALLY CORRECT in what they're doing!

Paul - if they didn't pay you for being involved in that farago, they're guilty of obtaining pecuniary advantage by false pretenses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 21:49 
Site Admin

pogo wrote:
If that's "investigative journalism" then I'm a little pink pussy-cat. It was PATHETIC.

They even gave airtime to that clown from RoSPA who thought that illegal speed signs were OK because "they told you what the limit was" - no mention of the simple fact that if "they" wish to enforce a technical limit using technical means, they need to be TECHNICALLY CORRECT in what they're doing!

Paul - if they didn't pay you for being involved in that farago, they're guilty of obtaining pecuniary advantage by false pretenses!

I think you're being too hard on them there. I don't know what problems they had or what pressures they came under, but I'm going to be asking some questions. I have a feeling that they will have been disappointed too. Standby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 15:46 
User

camera operator wrote:

well if i say that the signs were present and correct at the start of enforcement and i had not checked them, subsequently i report someone for speeding and evidence shows that the signs were incorrect, i think one thing perverting the course of justice it works both ways

Well this is exactly what happened in my case. First the cam. op. said under oath "I checked them before starting", and when I showed him the photo's, he said " Well, I didn't check those ones...". Then he said "I don't have the windows [on the Talivan] open, as I wouldn't want people coming up and challenging me." Which changed to "Of course, I had them open, and people often come up and talk to me." So what happened when challenged on both these points? Absolutely nothing. The magistrates response?
:fastasleep: Oh err, speeding, yes - guilty :judge:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 21:36 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

so what signs did he say had not been checked,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 18:48 
User

Cam Op - not sure I understand the Q. or if it's directed to me. The one's that I passed last weren't checked.
My point was that the magistrates weren't at all interested in whether he lied under oath or not. On the other hand, if I had been shown to be lying...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 00:26 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

ok teepee assuming you were in a 30mph area (above this temp restrctions etc) , whoever reported you would / should have checked and recorded on paper that all signs were correct prior and after enforcement, the signs you say that were not checked what were they

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 23:30 
User

Yes, it was a 30 mph area - it was a restricted road, so I guess in some cases to be fair, it would be difficult, if not impossible to check all the signs. In this case, it would have been feasible, as there would have been only about 6-8 sets to check, and would have taken no more than about 10 minutes. According to the court, the fact that they were deficient was irrelevant anyway. However, that being the case, he should not have said that he had checked them, when clearly he had not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 23:46 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

pretty standard procedure what was missing / defective 30 mph signs or camera enforcement signs