Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 00:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sniping opportunity
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 05:31 
Site Admin

I've been contacted by a journalist who is writing a fairly non-serious feature about speed cameras. He wants to include a map highlighting 'trouble spots' around the country for Police or camera activity.

Examples of suitable 'trouble spots' so far discussed included: sneaky hidden cameras, high earning cameras, aggressive policing, and so on. I said I'd try to generate a list of a dozen or so items for him by Monday morning.

* M4 cameras in Wiltshire
* Aggressive partnerships in Avon and Somerset, Essex, South Wales
* M6 cameras in Cumbria
* M11 camera high earner
* Durham, North Yorks and Central Scotland = heaven
* Tower bridge 20mph sneaky

Put your thinking caps on and help me out - let's give the man a good list.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:03 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

A34 stafford to newcastle under lyme at tittensor in Staffordshire. The camera is within a very short distance of a limit change from 60 to 40. The 40 sign is frequently obscured by bushes and so is the camera. The entire road is a camera fest with a lower 60 limit all the way along and most of the cameras are on downhill straight stretches. The road used to be 70 before they put cameras in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Scammers at the new 50 limit on the entrance to the tolls on the new seven bridge - they are hidden by signs until the last moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:57 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

teabelly wrote:
A34 stafford to newcastle under lyme at tittensor in Staffordshire. The camera is within a very short distance of a limit change from 60 to 40. The 40 sign is frequently obscured by bushes and so is the camera. The entire road is a camera fest with a lower 60 limit all the way along and most of the cameras are on downhill straight stretches. The road used to be 70 before they put cameras in.

Yes, I was just thinking of that road before reviewing the posts in the thread. The number of cameras along it is ridiculous. Between Newcastle and Stafford there are about 14 in each direction in as many miles.

See the maps on http://www.speedcam.co.uk

The A619 between Chesterfield and Barlborough in Derbyshire is also absolutely riddled with them. A few years ago there was a BBC documentary about speed cameras and they took along this road a man (can't remember his name) who had originally been party to introducing the camera policy. He shook his head and said this was not how they were meant to be used.

There's a notorious camera hidden behind a bridge on the A548 at Greenfield, Flintshire.

And don't forget the story of the middle-aged Lancashire nurse who got 11 NIPs in 14 days from a camera at Great Harwood where the speed limit had been cut from 40 to 30 but no signs had been erected. Not a single ticket was over the prosecutable threshold for 40.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:10 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Plod with LTi2020 on A130 Essex. Long distance enforcement on a fast and very safe dual carriageway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:13 

D&G on the A74(M) = £££
Fife on the A92 - multiple mobile sites on the same day on the same road to catch the same drivers twice on the same journey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:08 
Life Member
Life Member

A303 Chicklade.

Camera on short crawler lane equipped hill out of village to catch overtakers. This has basically stopped this overtaking place functioning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:28 

A605 going from Oundle to Peterborough: there's a cracker of a camera hidden just past the first good overtaking opportunity in miles, sat completely hidden behind the pillar of a bridge. Funnily enough it's been burned out a few times...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:33 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The way the Gatsos on the A68 between Carter Bar and Dalkeith have all been cunningly placed on the decent straights, making safe overtaking extremely difficult.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:36 

PeterE wrote:
The way the Gatsos on the A68 between Carter Bar and Dalkeith have all been cunningly placed on the decent straights, making safe overtaking extremely difficult.

Ditto on the A9. (But you'd know that already Paul. :hehe: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:44 

I didn't realise until today how much time D&G spend on the A74(M) :shock: 10 days out of 30 in November.

camera locations for the month here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 14:33 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

North Wales SCP's (arive alive oh) very sneaky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 18:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

"The way the Gatsos on the A68 between Carter Bar and Dalkeith have all been cunningly placed on the decent straights, making safe overtaking extremely difficult."

And the alternative A697!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 18:51 
New User
New User

The A45 camera at Ryton under Dunsmore - Truvelo sited just after limit drops from 60 to 50 mph. Sign is hidden behind signpost on a sweeping left hand bend such that it becomes visible just as you cross the sensors. Warwickshire police pointed out that is was visible from 100m but fat lot of good that is if sensors are sited 95m from Camera

West Midlands lies regarding s172 http://www.wmsafetycameras.co.uk/flow.php?flow=12 . They appear to be saying that is the nominated driver does not own up the RK will be held responsible. Clearly they have not read the reasonable dilligence defence in s172(3). It would be interesting to know what responsibility they believe the RK has after identifying the driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 17:15 

and there is the speed camera by box hill on the a24 that just can't survive.

errected earlier this year.

burned out 3 times and now been stollen. I don't think it was ever opperational for more than 1 month.

I'm tempted to write to the scamerati and congratulate them on seeing sense and removing it.

play the idiot who didn't know it'd been trashed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 22:22 
User

The A102 (M) northbound out of Blackwall Tunnel- perfectly good 50 limit, dropped to a ridiculous 40.
The M11 relief road across Hackney Marshes (effectively a continuation of the A102(M); minimum of two lanes each way, sometimes as wide as four; bloody great concrete wall on the outside, central reservation down the middle- and a limit which varies between 40 and 50 depending on which bit of road you're on, for no practical reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 22:42 

A590 Westbound at Levens. Fast high grade D/C road, talivans hide behind an overbridge after a long sweeping downhill r/h curve.

A6 Milnthorpe Road, Kendal. Previously NSL section of road had limit inexplicably reduced to 40mph. Talivan site is 200 yards further on, where they can ping people at the exact instant they enter the new 40 limit.

A66 eastbound at Mungrisdale. Long dead straight uphill section has a "crawler" lane, but is fast and wide and one of few good overtaking opportunities. At the top of this hill the road sweeps left, and the talivan hides tucked in just after the apex, typically pinging the drivers who mistakenly think that 2 lanes makes it a dual carriageway. Alas it doesn't...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 20:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Did anyone mention A5 Redgate junction with A444, heading toward Hinkley -signs/tree obscuring camera as witnesed by amount of rubber on road markings plus Warwickshire hint on their site to differentiate between cars and HGV to up the cash flow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 01:53 

Roger: "Plod with LTi2020 on A130 Essex. Long distance enforcement on a fast and very safe dual carriageway."

What??? Surely you mean the road that local youngsters are using as a racetrack getting up to speeds of 105mph ??? :liar:

At least that is how ECP have described it.

Funny it doesn't look like Santa Pod to me!!

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk