Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 01:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Highway spending
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:17 
User

From the ABD website I found figures stating that the government makes £46 billion from the motorist every year, and that only £6 billion is reinvested into the roads.

This got me thinking. Where has the other £40 billion gone? Considering that there are 434 local authorities in GB and NI this money could be equally split, and each local authority would receive over £92 million per year!

We wouldn't have any more problems with potholes and the like with that sort of investment. Indeed, we would no longer see highway authorities borrowing money for even basic repairs. The current situation is highly unsustainable, and the effects of the deterioration and borrowing will get worse.

Even if a mere quarter of this money was reinvested, £10 billion, that would equate to almost £23 million per local authority per year. Wouldn't that be nice!

Can't the government afford it? £10 billion from a pot with £40 billion in it? Could stamp duty revenue be partially used (£24 billion per year)?

And still they want to force motorists off the road. If every motorist were to cycle instead I don't think the government would be very happy at losing £46 billion per year, so they shouldn't be discouraging us! Motorists are therefore the lifeblood of the economy!

This is a thread on a campaigning section. I think the issue needs highlighting. It's not as if the NHS or education are improving either, with all of these stealthy hospital closures (my mum's old hospital closed just after the general election, and the hospital she was relocated to is under threat too!).

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:41 
Life Member
Life Member

One of Dorset County Council's stated aims is to reduce the rate of deterioration of the county's minor roads.

No mention of improving them, then...

And I pay tax for this. :x

Profile Send private message