Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 08:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

How would you negotiate this roundabout if going straight on?
Poll ended at Tue Mar 06, 2007 04:42
Stay to the left through roundabout, signal left when exiting 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Stay to the left through roundabout, signal left when exiting 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Stay to the right through roundabout, signal left when exiting 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Stay to the right through roundabout, signal left when exiting 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Stay towards the left through roundabout, but signalling right to show you're going round the roundabout, then signalling left when exiting 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Stay towards the left through roundabout, but signalling right to show you're going round the roundabout, then signalling left when exiting 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Stay towards the right through roundabout, but signalling right to show you're going round the roundabout, then signalling left when exiting 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Stay towards the right through roundabout, but signalling right to show you're going round the roundabout, then signalling left when exiting 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Other - please state in post 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Other - please state in post 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 18:44 
Site Admin

Roger wrote:
Dynamic space management and dynamic speed management together make for trouble-free progress, however non-conformist to the advisory white line markings.

It seems that dynamic speed management is pretty much second nature to most who arrive here (either on arrival or a few persuasions afterwards), but not space management. How very strange.

Strange indeed.

Of course we manage speed to manage longitudinal space, so it's really a subset of 'dynamic space management'.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 18:56 

willcove wrote:
Oscar wrote:
I'd follow the normal rule, any exit up to and including '12 o'clock', left lane and signal for exit, after 12, right lane with signal.

Has it changed and, if so, when did it change? The rule when I passed my test (and that I still use) is that unless otherwise signed it's left lane for the first exit, left or right for the second exit, and right lane for the third exit and beyond irrespective of what o'clock are those exits.

Doesn't work for roundabouts with other than 4 exits.

You could have a 5 exit roundabout with two lefts a straight on and a right or a 3 exit roundabout with no left, a straight on and a right.

Play it by ear (or eye) is the only method which always works but the 12o-clock rule works as a learner aid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 19:04 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:

Why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 23:14 

One thing i wouldn't do is to signal right while in the left lane, while going straight ahead, while negotiationg a roundabout.

People who signal right when going straight on at roundabouts are the worst drivers in the whole, entire world. No exceptions (almost).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 05:09 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

T2006 wrote:
One thing i wouldn't do is to signal right while in the left lane, while going straight ahead, while negotiationg a roundabout.

People who signal right when going straight on at roundabouts are the worst drivers in the whole, entire world. No exceptions (almost).

I don't get this. I see no harm.

If I am in the left lane (perhaps forced by circumstances, or road markings, or best for visibility or .. whatever), I may be taking the immediate exit, or the one after. If the former, a left indicator should be on if there is anyone who might benefit from reassurance of my intention. If there is one waiting to come out of the exit I am going to pass, a right blink should surely reduce the odds of the waiting car pulling out assuming I'm off at the first exit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

And what about someone following you? Front and rear flash together! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:19 
Life Member
Life Member

Does this roundabout get treated as having single or dual lanes between the entrance and first exit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:10 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
If there is one waiting to come out of the exit I am going to pass, a right blink should surely reduce the odds of the waiting car pulling out assuming I'm off at the first exit?

Yes, but the problem with indicating right while on the left lane of a roundabout is that it may make someone waiting at the turn you are passing (wrongly) think you are going to change lane to the right. They then may pull out on you on the prediction that you won't be in that lane by the time you get there.

Surely by simply not indicating left, you are signalling that you are not exiting at their turn.

Quote:
People who signal right when going straight on at roundabouts are the worst drivers in the whole, entire world.

I wouldn't have put it that strongly, but I more or less agree. I would've said people who don't indicate at all at roundabouts are heading for lower circle of hell. At least the left lane/right indicator/straight ahead mob are trying (bless 'em).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 09:30 

Johnnytheboy wrote:
Quote:

Why not?

Homer wrote:
You could have a 5 exit roundabout with two lefts a straight on and a right or a 3 exit roundabout with no left, a straight on and a right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 22:55 

Roger wrote:
T2006 wrote:

I don't get this. I see no harm.

If I am in the left lane (perhaps forced by circumstances, or road markings, or best for visibility or .. whatever), I may be taking the immediate exit, or the one after. If the former, a left indicator should be on if there is anyone who might benefit from reassurance of my intention. If there is one waiting to come out of the exit I am going to pass, a right blink should surely reduce the odds of the waiting car pulling out assuming I'm off at the first exit?

Hi Roger, what I mean't was those drivers who automatically signal right when going straight ahead, on all roundabouts, in all circumstances, regardless of the circumstances. Of course, like in the example you gave the signal is appopriate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 14:15 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
Hi Roger, what I mean't was those drivers who automatically signal right when going straight ahead, on all roundabouts, in all circumstances, regardless of the circumstances. Of course, like in the example you gave the signal is appopriate.

Same here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 22:10 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

:) Good to you both. Thought I was missing something for a minute and couldn't work out for the life of me what!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 09:49 

Thanks to all who participated in this poll and thread.

Not surprisingly, there is a wide range of opinions here. What that translates to on the road is misunderstandings.

I can tell you now that when I stayed in the left lane to go straight on (no signal until exiting) a driver waiting to emerge from the road on my left expressed surprise when I didn't turn left - but if I was turning left I would have signalled left.

On another occasion, a driver behind me flashed his lights angrily when I did not turn left from the left lane, as he had expected - even though I wasn't signalling. Going by "local knowledge" isn't really the answer. I have lived in this area for many years, but have only recently had cause to go straight ahead at this roundabout - it leads to the local bike shop!

I think matters would be improved if there were markings on the road and/or signs to clear up the confusion - just as there are at many other roundabouts in Britain.