Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Have you eaten a sandwich while driving?
Yes, I have and I expect to do it again 35%  35%  [ 45 ]
Yes, I have and I expect to do it again 35%  35%  [ 45 ]
No, I never have and never will 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
No, I never have and never will 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
I have in the past, but I won't in the future 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
I have in the past, but I won't in the future 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
I never have, but I might in the future 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I never have, but I might in the future 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 128
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 15:36 
Site Admin

Rigpig wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
Looping back, I hold goverance (in the broad sense) responsible for social change.

And yet if government tries to intervene, it gets accused of creating a nanny state.

I'd say that 'nannying' was bad intervention likely to make things worse.

Rigpig wrote:
Probably the most obvious example of government influce is the Thatcher years. Her mantra was for people to look after themselves, to own their own homes and rely less on the state. She gave people what they wanted, put money in their pockets, and it worked.
Well to a certain extent because the legacy she left is an undercurrent of greed and selfishness that lingers on today. So, you cannot always give people what they want without affecting the system in another way.

You're being binary again - why can't we tweak and tune, minimise the downside and make it better each year? In fact, I'm quite sure we could.

The road safety thing I look at every day seems to be something of a microcosm of wider society - and I'm certain that ongoing 'tuning' of a great system is the right approach to road safety.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 16:12 
Life Member
Life Member

SafeSpeed wrote:
The poll was designed to link a recent news story with a potential hard and fast rule. I placed it in the past tense ("have you ever eaten a sandwich while driving") to try and eliminate subjective judgements about what one might do. I'm quite pleased with it really, and it was carefully crafted.

Sorry, my bad. I totally missed the word sandwich in there; I thought it said 'have you ever eaten while driving...' :oops1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 16:23 

SafeSpeed wrote:
The road safety thing I look at every day seems to be something of a microcosm of wider society - and I'm certain that ongoing 'tuning' of a great system is the right approach to road safety.

Of course it is, how many times have I said that?
However, I feel we'll have very different views on just what needs to be addressed in order to move things the right way without pushing something else the wrong way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 00:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
[quote="PeterEIndeed, but some people here seem to be saying that eating a sandwich or burger when on the move is entirely reasonable behaviour provided it's not in an especially risky location.[/quote]

What Scanny said - it's not the eating - it's the location - most folks that drive professionaly will see nothing wrong with it --IN THE RIGHT PLACE like on an almost open motorway, but not in a town centre. It's like mobile usage - the law omits the safe places and concentrates on the idiots using one in the wrong place at the wrong time, so all are guilty , to ensure that the few idiots are put/kept in their place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 09:57 
User

Is it safe to eat while stuck in a 10 mile tailback on the motorway where traffic is moving little more then a feet every so often? Of course.

Is it safe to eat while driving on an narrow unlit back road at night during driving rain? Of course not.

So it's interesting to note that some Safe Speed members who presumably support the idea that "safe responsible motorists" can excercise discretion when it comes to deciding where it is or isn't safe to exceed the speed limit. Yet they don't believe the same "safe responsible motorists" can decide whether it is safe to eat at the wheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:49 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

FPL wrote:
Is it safe to eat while stuck in a 10 mile tailback on the motorway where traffic is moving little more then a feet every so often? Of course.

Is it safe to eat while driving on an narrow unlit back road at night during driving rain? Of course not.

So it's interesting to note that some Safe Speed members who presumably support the idea that "safe responsible motorists" can excercise discretion when it comes to deciding where it is or isn't safe to exceed the speed limit. Yet they don't believe the same "safe responsible motorists" can decide whether it is safe to eat at the wheel.

Has anyone on this thread actually advocated making eating at the wheel a specific offence? No.

But I make no apology for taking the view that eating at the wheel (except in conditions when stationary or near stationary) is poor practice that should be strongly discouraged.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 15:52 
User

PeterE wrote:
Has anyone on this thread actually advocated making eating at the wheel a specific offence? No.

That's entirely beside the point. We could be talking about eating, smoking, using a mobile 'phone or having a domestic with the other half, whatever. The point I'm making is that one the one hand you and others trust motorists to make a judgement about when it is or isn't safe to exceed the speed limit, but yet your don't trust the very same motorists to decide if other tasks can be completed while driving. If you have so little faith in the British motorist then I can't see how advocating that drivers should be able to decide when it's safe to ignore speed limits is in anyway a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 17:15 
User

botach wrote:

What Scanny said - it's not the eating - it's the location - most folks that drive professionaly will see nothing wrong with it --IN THE RIGHT PLACE like on an almost open motorway, but not in a town centre. It's like mobile usage - the law omits the safe places and concentrates on the idiots using one in the wrong place at the wrong time, so all are guilty , to ensure that the few idiots are put/kept in their place.

sorry Botach but i cant entirely agree with the bit about mobile usage. completely different thing. eating is something that you do every day. it becomes habit. you know where the food is, you know where your mouth is. your arm does everything for you with minimum distraction to your concentration.
whilst the same coule be said about using mobiles every day is true, the conversation is different every time which will take your concentration from the road. you are thinking about what is being said which is not habit and therefore requires concentration during the entire process

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:39 
Site Admin

FPL's comments took the thread in an entirely new direction and the remainder was split to a new topic. See: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13939

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:57 
User

We tend to eat .. go to the loo ,. ensure the kids have eaten and been to loo and washed hands .. before we set off anywhere.

I have a stash of sucky sweets close to hand ...and perhaps some seedless grapes ..loose and just available in case, This is not the same as a huge sandwich or something which drops crumbs all over my car interiors . If we want something more substantial en route.. then we make a proper pit stop .. which makes sense with a large family on the move anyway :popcorn:

Ernest Marsh wrote:
johnsher wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:
neither should you risk going hungry before you reach the next available stop if it maintains your alertness.

this has to be the most feeble excuse that people keep coming up with on here. It's not as though we're driving the kalahari or something. Is people's planning so bad that they can't work out whether they're going to need to eat or drink in the 10 minutes between services?
I hate to think how many of you are wearing nappies because you might need to go potty before the "next available stop".

As I said, I dont condone eating on the move, but if you were travelling from Carlisle to the South Coast to catch a continental ferry, and had been held up for a lengthy time in a jam, your schedule could be stretched a little.
IF IT WAS SAFE, I could understand that you might wish to push on so as not to miss your ferry, and forego a meal in a service station, and I do know some people need to eat or get "fretful". Maybe there is a medical explanation for this - thankfully I dont suffer! :)

I usually book a room in a cheerful cheap B&B for us - and stay over .. catching the ferry or Eurotunnel in the morning. It does break up the journey for us and take off some of the pressures of missing the boat. We found a really nice one five minutes from the port on Castle Hill Road - and it cost me £95 for his basement family flat which gave us all a bed for the night and a fully cooked Monty English in the morning :wink: It even had a kitchen so - quick visit to the chip shop and supermarket down the road .. and we had a decent evening meal too :wink:

Can highly recommend those B&Bs on Castle Hill Road .. not far from Dover Castle.

But if in a jam.. we will eat crisps.. grapes .... pre-prepared segments of orange and a sucky sweet to just keep us going - but always have an idea where we may make a shorter 20 minute stop later on... just to refresh, and leg stretch.

Quote:
I also have the luxury of being able to share the driving with my wife when on long journeys, and with two children, stops are essential to prevent trouble brewing in the back!!

Indeed they are... Our youngest rogues :yikes:

Yes.. I also share with Wildy and now with our three young drivers. I wonder how we coped without them now :lol:

Quote:
In France, there are fewer services with facilities, but more places to stop and eat your own food. Not sure if this would work here or not, but I like the idea.

I think it would work. We have enjoyed many a picnic at the "Aires" - but I think our fave just has to be the Chiemsee picnic area off the A8 :lol:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8