Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 07:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Choose ONE of the following options which you feel would be most effective in improving the standard of driving on Britain's motorways.
Motorway driving to be included in driving lessons and the driving test 19%  19%  [ 19 ]
Motorway driving to be included in driving lessons and the driving test 19%  19%  [ 19 ]
"Classroom" style motorway driving education by traffic police 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
"Classroom" style motorway driving education by traffic police 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Roadside hoardings, reminding drivers to move over when not overtaking 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Roadside hoardings, reminding drivers to move over when not overtaking 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
More fines/penalty points for lane abuse 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
More fines/penalty points for lane abuse 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Road safety reminders to be shown on commercial TV advertisement slots 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
Road safety reminders to be shown on commercial TV advertisement slots 16%  16%  [ 16 ]
Other suggestion - please describe it in your post if you choose this option. 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Other suggestion - please describe it in your post if you choose this option. 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 102
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 19:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Safety Engineer wrote:

Passed my test friday and drove down to Cornwall saturday, safe? Probably not didn't have much of an idea.

Has the system changed????

Old tale , still relavent today( scene set in days of yore , average test car 848 cc mini, top of range 'sh = e type) - kid passes test on morning in mini, that after noon borrows dadies Jag and looses rear end on DC -

kNOW IT'S BIT DRASTIC EXAMPLE , BUT STILL TRUE TODAY.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 00:15 

Nope, not much change, the Pass Plus covers m-way driving but again is optional and quite frankly am loath to make it compulsary as it doesn't really help improve standards.

I think it's about time we scrapped the driving test and method of currently teaching drivers and replaced it with some thing along the lines of a 'civilian' roadcraft style training and testing system.

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 22:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
SE - very much with you on that - but - we still need test ( uk centres need numbers to validate proficiency ) .( And numbers are the be all and end all of the present day society

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 13:04 
User

I voted for 'other' and I was going to suggest a second test, but most of you beat me to it!

As far as Mr. Ehem, I can see the logic some of you are using to argue that its OK to stay in L2 unless someone wants to pass, but by the same logic what's the difference between sitting in L2 and sitting in L1? I realise that there are some stretches where the tramlines are pretty bad so fair enough, but the rest of the time?

Adverts in MSAs, billboards and TV would go some of the way, but the ignorant 'I know best'ers won't listen anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 22:14 
Suspended
Suspended

gatso's on motorways

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 22:20 
Life Member
Life Member

the sensible majority wrote:
gatso's on motorways

Is he?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 01:17 

TSM: "gatso's on motorways" - bloody expensive speed humps if you don't mind me saying :twisted:

What is the average life expectency of a gatso on the motorway being run over by a landrover ???

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:52 
User

Safety Engineer wrote:

I don't think that the current system gives drivers any skills or tests for knowledge of m-way driving,

i dont think it teaches any skills relevant to ANY type of driving. the instructor teaches you to pass a test, not to drive properly. how many people here actually drive the way you were taught rather than learning to drive using observation and common sense?

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 13:42 
User

Lets face it, most of us (I hope) are safer now than when we passed our tests, yet if we were all retested to the current standards I bet most of us would fail on something really stupid like not using every single gear every time we slow down etc.