Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 23:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Dual carriageway into single carriageway with traffic backed up on lane 1. Do you :-
Join L1 and wait passively. 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Join L1 and wait passively. 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Join L1 but suffer annoyance if someone goes past in L2 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Join L1 but suffer annoyance if someone goes past in L2 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Join L1 but attempt to 'block' L2 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Join L1 but attempt to 'block' L2 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Use L2 with some feeling of guilt 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Use L2 with some feeling of guilt 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Use L2 without hesitation 26%  26%  [ 23 ]
Use L2 without hesitation 26%  26%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 88
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:18 
User

The way I see it Paul is basically similar to the ball bearing theory. If it's left to the last moment then it's going to cause congestion.

Believe me, I know that sometimes it's difficult to merge because of people 'bunching', (hence the reason I do it sooner rather than later.), but when I see someone hiking past the gap I've left for them to get maybe 50 to 100 yards ahead then sit at the cones cursing other drivers for not yeilding, that kind'a annoys me.

Actually, in thinking about it, I think I might not've explained myself very well. It's not leaving it to the last gasp that I disapprove of perse, providing there's a space available, (although I think in many cases it's a contributing factor to what causes this), it's the ones who leave it to the last minute before they even consider merging and expect someone to brake to allow them to enter the flow of traffic.

Remember, even if the traffic's flowing at 40 MPH and the cars are two seconds apart, there'll not be enough space between the vehicles for a car to merge and get up to speed from a standstill without the requirement for someone to adjust the space between them and the car in front and consequently cause a domino effect up the line of traffic and in turn cause worse congestion.

Just to clarify, I don't necessarily have an issue with people leaving their merge till a little later, as long as they don't reach a standstill at the cones. I only merge earlier as I'm perhaps being a little more defensive. I do leave space for others to zip merge, but I'm not inclined to yeild for someone who in my eyes has been reckless and expects somone to corrupt the flow of traffic for them.

I'm basically in my own way trying to promote the steady flow of traffic, just the same as I do when approaching a junction in a queue, I'll always leave space for the traffic entiring from the slip road to merge.

Does that make my position a wee bit clearer.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:28 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeed wrote:
Grumpy Old Biker wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
That'd be good for the signmakers and bad for the tax payers. (=£expensive)

The signs are there - they've just got the wording wrong.

In some large scale works, yes they are. But in most of the day to day situations they aren't.

For uncommon queue situations - sure, they aren't there, but anywhere there's a common problem they erect "Queues likely". Roadworks always have loads of signs.

If it's said often enough - the message might sink in.

SafeSpeed wrote:
Grumpy Old Biker wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
How about a bit in the Highway Code instead?

Who reads that?

Jeremy Vine? The Highway Code is an important tool for setting cultural norms - even amongst those who haven't read it personally for decades.

Fair point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Its interesting, Big Rod, that you begin with a scientific justification, but then end up citing a psychological factor for your queue behavior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:24 
Life Member
Life Member

We ought to abandon this queueing madness ans adopt a "queue merge here" sign 100m before the obstruction. It is the lack of guidance that causes road rage.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:33 
User

RobinXe wrote:
Its interesting, Big Rod, that you begin with a scientific justification, but then end up citing a psychological factor for your queue behavior.

I wasn't aware that I did.

What makes you think that?

All I was trying to say is that the car at the cones waiting for someone to let them enter the moving line of traffic is like the analogy of the two ballbearings trying to get through a hole slightly bigger than one of them.

If someone gives way to the driver at the cones, or they barge in, there'll be a domino effect down the line of the queueing traffic.

Although not entirely scientific, I can't see where I used any psychological factors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 13:03 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Rod wrote:
Just to clarify, I don't necessarily have an issue with people leaving their merge till a little later, as long as they don't reach a standstill at the cones. I only merge earlier as I'm perhaps being a little more defensive. I do leave space for others to zip merge, but I'm not inclined to yeild for someone who in my eyes has been reckless and expects somone to corrupt the flow of traffic for them.

My bold. Not faulting you, its just interesting.

Pragmatism is all very well when analysing these things, but unfortunately altogether too many drivers allow emotions to invade their driving process. Some don't want people 'pushing in', others take great exception to a car 'less nice' than theirs overtaking them.

Its clearly a human factor, and as such cannot be prevented, only managed, but wouldn't it be nice if everyone's only motivation on the roads was to keep themselves, and everybody else, running smoothly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 14:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeed wrote:
Secondly, if that's true, it's the bloody minded queue mentality causing the problem in the first place.

It seems to me, that if Gopher is right, it's every aware driver's duty to try to gradually shift this bloody-mindedness by using both lanes.

I think it's that, but also ignorance of the benefits of such action, who has heard any public information on the matter? I know I haven't.

In this case I believe there are too few "aware" drivers to make any difference, to the vast majority of the L1'ers we would be the rude queue jumpers who deserve to sit waiting to be let in by some "fool".

I think a small series of films highlighting the problem would do far more and a lot more quickly, but who's going to pay for that?

Upton Sinclair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 14:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RobinXe wrote:
............ unfortunately altogether too many drivers allow emotions to invade their driving process. Some don't want people 'pushing in', others take great exception to a car 'less nice' than theirs overtaking them.

Its clearly a human factor, and as such cannot be prevented, only managed, but wouldn't it be nice if everyone's only motivation on the roads was to keep themselves, and everybody else, running smoothly.

I have a little theory about this.

I wonder if the driving process for many is too dull. Those that neither have the will nor the knowledge to improve their driving enjoyment with some training. To them, perhaps the only motivation is to ‘get one over’ on someone, or, conversely, to prevent someone ‘getting on over’ on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 14:21 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
If I have queued for 30mins, I don’t want a bunch of freeloaders belting down L2 and forcing me to wait even longer.

The point is, by merging too early, you create opportunities for others. If both lanes were used to their capacity, then the problem would solve itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 14:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You're probably right GoB! We're pretty much screwed if people start to see driving as a competition; all road users should be on the same team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 14:23 
User

RobinXe wrote:
all road users should be on the same team

But we're not are we? The boy racers don't like the rep mobiles who don't like van drivers who don't like lorry drivers and everyone doesn't like bikers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 14:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Johnnytheboy wrote:
If both lanes were used to their capacity, then the problem would solve itself.

Exactly. But how do we make that happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 14:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

R1Nut wrote:
RobinXe wrote:

But we're not are we? The boy racers don't like the rep mobiles who don't like van drivers who don't like lorry drivers and everyone doesn't like bikers.

No, we're certainly not, and this is clearly an area that needs addressing for the benefit of road safety!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 14:33 
Life Member
Life Member

Grumpy Old Biker wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:
If both lanes were used to their capacity, then the problem would solve itself.

Exactly. But how do we make that happen?

Bournemouth has more than its share of "merge in turn" signs, and they do seem to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 14:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

R1Nut wrote:
everyone doesn't like bikers.

DON'T THEY? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 14:47 
User

RobinXe wrote:
R1Nut wrote:
RobinXe wrote:

No, we're certainly not, and this is clearly an area that needs addressing for the benefit of road safety!

The problem is what organisation is going to take this on? Especially when you consider the fact our own government and, to some extent, the EU are determined to divide all motoring groups.

I just remembered that caravans and tractors are disliked by everyone including the bikers :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 15:08 
User

RobinXe wrote:
Big Rod wrote:

My bold. Not faulting you, its just interesting.

Pragmatism is all very well when analysing these things, but unfortunately altogether too many drivers allow emotions to invade their driving process. Some don't want people 'pushing in', others take great exception to a car 'less nice' than theirs overtaking them.

Ah, I see. TBH, I'm not being beligerant for the sake of it Robin, I'm more concerned with defending the overall flow of traffic. The driver stopped in the redundant lane evidently hasn't considered the traffic flow and is in effect stuck mainly due to his lack of consideration. If he'd 'merged' while still on the move whether sooner or later then he wouldn't be stuck.

While I don't defend the 'bunchers', there is still a largely known propensity for that to occur and as such the late merger is guilty for not considering the prevailing conditions IMO.

For the record, I'm not using late mergers on the whole as an example here, it's the ones who take it to the extreme then either barge in or expect concession from other traffic to tap the flow of traffic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 15:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Rod wrote:
The driver stopped in the redundant lane evidently hasn't considered the traffic flow and is in effect stuck mainly due to his lack of consideration. If he'd 'merged' while still on the move whether sooner or later then he wouldn't be stuck.

I agree with the latter point. Clearly merging whilst moving is the way to ensure everyone moves more freely, but in many cases those that don't allow a merger whilst the traffic is still moving are as guilty of exacerbating the problem as the person who leaves it too late to merge whilst still moving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 15:45 
User

RobinXe wrote:
but in many cases those that don't allow a merger whilst the traffic is still moving are as guilty of exacerbating the problem as the person who leaves it too late to merge whilst still moving.

Totally agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 22:08 
User

Since the two extremes are either Lane 2 coming to a halt because NOBODY in lane 1 will let them in, OR lane 1 coming to a halt as lane 2 drives past and through the restriction, it just proves that 2 into 1 wont go without a happy medium, AND a build up of traffic behind.

Nearly all drivers dislike the idea of cars passing them while queing.
The question is how to cajole drivers into a merge in turn, without having to organise it with signs, and a massive campaign in the media.

I think the ball bearings and small hole analogy sums up the issue perfectly ALL the container is full of balls, but unless you can align them to the hole in advance, they will simply jam. Even with a short tube you'd need to agitate them gently to assist! :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next