Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 14:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Dual carriageway into single carriageway with traffic backed up on lane 1. Do you :-
Join L1 and wait passively. 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Join L1 and wait passively. 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Join L1 but suffer annoyance if someone goes past in L2 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Join L1 but suffer annoyance if someone goes past in L2 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Join L1 but attempt to 'block' L2 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Join L1 but attempt to 'block' L2 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Use L2 with some feeling of guilt 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Use L2 with some feeling of guilt 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Use L2 without hesitation 26%  26%  [ 23 ]
Use L2 without hesitation 26%  26%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 88
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 00:41 

Just my twopen'th,
Of course it all depends on the situation,
I am thinking of one particular situation, there is a regular situation entering the Wallasey Mersey Tunnel, this 2 tube 2 lane per tube, is cotraflowed thru 1 tube on Tues and Thurs daytime, making one tube single lane two way traffic.

The two single carriageway approach roads (north and south L'pool side) merge into a 2 lane dual carriageway and then have to merge into L1 to travel thru the tunnel, by the nature of the road drivers approaching from the north are already in L1, drivers from the south in L2 have to merge and are not there thru q jumping, I try to match my speed to L1 (if there is no natural gap to 'overtake' into), and indicate early if I get blocked I ease off and wait for a gap to slot into.

In other situations, I think the thing that upsets L1 queuers is cars in L2 travelling to the pinch point much faster than L2 then slamming on and forcing their way in at the pinch point, which does often have a ripple effect on the traffic in L1.

The ultimate aim of drivers IMHO should be to keep the traffic flowing smoothly thru the bottleneck,

Aiming to merge at the cones/pinch is leaving few options if the merge isn't possible.

Personally I will try to start merging at the halfway point to the pinch i.e if first warning says 800yds I start trying to merge at about 400yds matching speed with L1 and indicating, lots of looking around trying for eye contact, and a conspicious thank you to the yeilding driver.

The A55 has merge in turn signs but L1 still fills up for a good mile before the merge, you can't tell some people!

That was probably more than 2p's worth but hey ho.

fatboytim

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 01:00 

A possible solution:

Every now and again you come across the situation where it is actually L1 that is closing and L2 that remains open. Next time you encounter one of these just watch what happens.

In my experience what happens is that the traffic splits fairly evenly into the two lanes on the approach, then L1 more or less zip-merges into L2 as the pinch point nears.

My own theory is that what we see here is a role reversal, compared to the usual situation. to illustrate this lets take it to extremes with a bit of stereotyping, and assume that L1 is largely populated with dyed in the wool queue junkies, defending their place in the line with their dying breath, whilst L2 is largely populated with people of a more go ahead, vibrant disposition, wanting to make progress.

In the normal situation this breeds resentment, as the L1 occupants resent the L2 occupants on a number of levels: partly because they are apparently jumping [what isn't actually] the queue, but equally because they see them as more vibrant, successful, progressive etc etc..

But when you reverse the situation, by merging L1 into L2 what you now have is a situation where the "positive" people in L2 have to accomodate the "negative" people in L1, which they generally do without any problem whatsoever.

So my solution is simply to always merge L1 into L2, and thus rely on human nature to resolve how to get all the ball bearings into the hole; which, incidentally, is an analogy that falls flat on its* face as far as I can see, as I fail to see a simple mechanical process by which the ball bearings can merge without conflict just by moving the hole entry further up the bucket. And worse still, making the hole into a long tapered merge will actually make the balls jam tighter. Perhaps the analogy fails because like so many other things, the solution is rooted not in simple mechanics but in psychology, which isn't so simply modelled.

Off to bed. Early start tomorrow. Butties to make, etc. etc...

[* = FAO Paul: Please note lack of apostrophe in possessive pronoun.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 01:28 
User

Actually JT, you have brought into play a part of the equation which I mentioned earlier, which is the QUICKEST way everyone will get through is to maintain as much speed through the pinch point as is safe.

When lane 2 is forced to join lane 1, then faster moving traffic (presumably they were over taking in L2, not queue jumping when they encountered the obstruction) is joining a slower lane.
I believe slower moving traffic tends to be bunched closer together, so gaps to merge into are smaller.
When Lane 1 is forced to join lane 2, then the gaps are bigger, making merging more easy, and the lane 2 cars progress through the pinch point at a slightly higher speed than the lane 1 cars would have done.

Usually, the Authorities impose a speed restriction at "planned" obstructions - often, they would be better making a minimum speed order, and allowing traffic to flow more freely at a speed commenserate with the traffic levels, and any works which might be connected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 14:37 
User

not sure if this has been mentioned, but i would use lane 2 as on some occasions i have seen lane closeur warnings counting down only to find the closed lane is on the otherside of a roundabout, or that the signs are old and the restriction has gone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 13:36 

Big Rod wrote:
The way I see it Paul is basically similar to the ball bearing theory. If it's left to the last moment then it's going to cause congestion.

No, it would only get down to a merge at the cones situation after the congestion has occurred.

Quote:
Believe me, I know that sometimes it's difficult to merge because of people 'bunching',

That's a mentality thing, those who have sat in L1 watching people make full use of teh road are so riled by the time they get to the front that they try to force the L2s out.

Quote:
Actually, in thinking about it, I think I might not've explained myself very well. It's not leaving it to the last gasp that I disapprove of perse, providing there's a space available,

If there is space availble to merge before the pinch then it's not a queue. :wink:

Quote:
Remember, even if the traffic's flowing at 40 MPH and the cars are two seconds apart, there'll not be enough space between the vehicles for a car to merge and get up to speed from a standstill without the requirement for someone to adjust the space between them and the car in front and consequently cause a domino effect up the line of traffic and in turn cause worse congestion.

If traffic is moving at 40mph with 2 second gaps then there is no reason for anyone to come to standstill.

Quote:
I'm basically in my own way trying to promote the steady flow of traffic,

You are not, you are promoting a long slow queue.

Join us in L2, bring half your friends, that's the only way to beat those damned queue jumpers. :D It won't happen overnight, but if every time one of us goes past a queue in L2, one more person decides to join us then pretty soon it won't matter which queue you are in. So come on, be a trend setter instead of a sheep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 20:26 
User

A bit harsh isn't it? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 19:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Homer wrote:
... you are promoting a long slow queue.

Join us in L2, bring half your friends, that's the only way to beat those damned queue jumpers. :D It won't happen overnight, but if every time one of us goes past a queue in L2, one more person decides to join us then pretty soon it won't matter which queue you are in. So come on, be a trend setter instead of a sheep.

I wonder if, sometimes, we are a bit too quick to quote from the ‘Mr Spock book of Roadcraft’.

“Using both lanes is very logical and those that form the L1 queues are very illogical.”

I don’t think those that form an orderly L1 queue, are necessarily doing so without any thought as to why. I think there is a degree of altruism and they do not wish to ‘push-in’.
This attitude is a vital ingredient to safer roads and should not be dismissed lightly.

What we seriously need is official notification that using both lanes is an OK thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 22:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Grumpy Old Biker wrote:
What we seriously need is official notification that using both lanes is an OK thing to do.

Yes, this I think would make a massive difference to road safety around any area that requires merging of lanes.

Upton Sinclair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 22:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh no, not an official statement. You know what it would be?

"You must get into a single lane as soon as possible. This will be policed by ANPR cameras. 3 points/£60 for defaulters." :lol:

I actually agree. It would make sense for guidance to be given to take the heat out of both groups blaming the other (queue jumpers vs woolly jumpers).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:11 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
I wonder if, sometimes, we are a bit too quick to quote from the ‘Mr Spock book of Roadcraft’.

“Using both lanes is very logical and those that form the L1 queues are very illogical.”

Equally one could probably fit people's behaviour to a classic game theory model.

But it still wouldn't solve the problem....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 22:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey, someone out there listens to us!!
AND a glimmer of sensible, joined-up thinking from the IAM - what a shame this press release was spoilt by the 'smoking' bollocks at the end...

Institute of Advanced Motorists wrote:
NEW HIGHWAY CODE COULD HELP CUT CONGESTION
SAY ADVANCE MOTORISTS
Issued: 28th September 2007

Roadworks misery and the congestion that goes with them could be radically reduced, according to the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists), if UK motorists take on board new advice in the Highway Code published today (28 September 2007).

For the first time, the Highway Code has a rule on “merging in turn” under the section on lane discipline (Rule 134; Highway Code 2007).

“We are pleased to see this as we believe it will ease many pinchpoints at roadworks,” said IAM Chief Examiner Peter Rodger.

“Too often we see a long, empty lane leading up to roadworks, doing nothing, because drivers have been told to get in lane too early. Then there is a tension with people perceived as ‘pushing in’. The new recommendation to merge in turn in the Highway Code will encourage drivers to use all the available lanes – right up to the lane closure - and could make roadworks less of a problem,” he said.

“It will avoid frustration and mean everybody gets through the restriction that much quicker.”

Mr Rodger, a former Metropolitan Police driving instructor, said that the IAM had long campaigned for merge in turn recognition in the Highway Code.

“We are convinced everybody will get through sooner if they merge in turn. If drivers try it, encouraged by the Highway Code, it could be the end to the ‘I’m first, you’re next’ attitude that slows everybody down.
"
We now need to see this initiative supported by physical ‘merge in turn’ roadside signs as well, because we know many drivers don’t bother with the Highway Code once they have passed their test.”

A survey in 2006 supported by the IAM found that in a test, only 29 out of 1000 motorists
recognised all of the ten Highway Code signs they were shown.**

The Highway Code is a best selling title in the UK. The new edition - last revised eight years ago - now describes smoking as a distraction for drivers, an increasing problem following the UK wide indoor smoking ban.

"If you are on a long journey, then it makes sense to combine your rest break away from driving with a smoking break. While it is not as big a distraction as a hand held mobile phone, it is not worth the risk. Just think of the consequences of a cigarette dropping into your lap while you are driving," added Mr Rodger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 19:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

How did Grumps do that? That poll thing! I haven't seen that done before! :)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.