Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

What do you think the speed limit is on this stretch of road?
30mph 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
30mph 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
40mph 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
40mph 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
50mph 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
50mph 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
60mph/NSL 28%  28%  [ 30 ]
60mph/NSL 28%  28%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 106
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:47 

I'm interested to hear from as many people as possible. I'll explain why in a later post.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:53 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I voted NSL. Howeever, I think I can see a grey car just around the bend almost at rightangles to the road, suggesting either a farm building or very difficult junction at that point. to that end, at the very least, there should be a big SLOW sign approaching that corner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:56 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The NSL looks applicable to that visible stretch shown in the photo but I couldn’t possibly pass comment on what the road should actually be without knowing what is around the corner or behind the camera. The unshown areas may warrant a 30 limit, hence making an NSL limit just for the short visible stretch confusing at best.

What is behind/beyond the view of the camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:00 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I voted NSL, but agree with Roger and smeggy's reservations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 14:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm likely completely wrong, but according to the centre line marking it seems to be 40 mph or less and a hazard up ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 00:26 

It looks like NSL territory but I've voted for 30. The central lines do seem to suggest a 30 limit.

NB: I'd have probably gone for 50mph if it wasn't for Bobmalcs's comment :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:15 
User

i'm afraid i voted for what a reasonable speed for the stretch was rather than what i think the limit is.

unless the repeaters are very obscured (possible given the tree cover) there could be a 30sign next to the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:09 
User

I wouldn't be surprised to find it has a 50 limit, but from the look of it I would probably treat it as NSL.

It's not always easy to judge from a single photograph because of the foreshortening effects of some camera lenses etc. - not that I know much about photography.

BTW, sorry about the side issue - but do we honestly derive much benefit from hazard lines? I don't, but what about you?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:31 
Site Admin

TripleS wrote:
BTW, sorry about the side issue - but do we honestly derive much benefit from hazard lines? I don't, but what about you?

One time I find the hazard lines of particular assistance is when I want to overtake a 'dippy' (one who is driving on dips only) at night. If there are hazard lines I don't normally go for a look. But when there aren't hazard lines I move to his rear right three quraters blind spot then flick on my mainbeams for a proper look. Because I'm in his blind spot I don't dazzle him in his mirrors. (I invented this technique myself, and it works a charm... :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 14:37 

NSL, purely on the lack of any signs or street lighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 15:47 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
TripleS wrote:

One time I find the hazard lines of particular assistance is when I want to overtake a 'dippy' (one who is driving on dips only) at night. If there are hazard lines I don't normally go for a look. But when there aren't hazard lines I move to his rear right three quarters blind spot then flick on my mainbeams for a proper look. Because I'm in his blind spot I don't dazzle him in his mirrors. (I invented this technique myself, and it works a charm... :) )

Fair enough - new tricks - there's always another one, which is good.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 17:29 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SafeSpeed wrote:
TripleS wrote:

One time I find the hazard lines of particular assistance is when I want to overtake a 'dippy' (one who is driving on dips only) at night. If there are hazard lines I don't normally go for a look. But when there aren't hazard lines I move to his rear right three quraters blind spot then flick on my mainbeams for a proper look. Because I'm in his blind spot I don't dazzle him in his mirrors. (I invented this technique myself, and it works a charm... :) )

Smart. :yesyes: My own technique is rather similar, though slightly less considerate. I think (but am not certain) that I subconsciously make similar use of the centre line, but I tend to go for the main beam further back as I p[ull out for the look-see. The mirror dazzle that dippy cops nearly always leads to a lift-off-the throttle, helping the manoeuvre if it's clear but I still have the 1 - 2-second catch-up gap if he then plays SBs.

I did not invent minme, but got it from Tom Topper's book 30 or so years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 16:38 
User

It looks like an NSL, but my alarm bells would be ringing:

1. Can't see where it goes next, I'd be slowing drastically.
2. From the hedge line on the right I'd suspect it tightens to a 90 degree, or there's a T junction in there somewhere.
3. Is that a stationary van on the bend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 17:42 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I voted for 30 mph, because I suspect it is one of those sneaky ones. Far too many highway authorities have imposed 30 mph limits on rural roads like this, on the grounds that they are within a mile or so of a village centre :x

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 22:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I guessed 50 because of the hazard lines - btw, this might be a stupid question but where exactly is the three quarters blind spot, as I often have similar problems with dippys, but also have a combined 370 watts to throw at the problem...

I visualise it from what you say as implying that I should be partly alongside them already, and I'm not comfortable with that if they're traveling on dipped beam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 22:37 

TripleS wrote:

I find them very useful.

If I am on a twisty road waiting for an opportunity to overtake I will look out for the hzard lines ending around a bend as it tells me there is a stretch of good visibility around the corner and I can move up to the overtaking position rather than hanging on someones tail all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 23:00 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

i voted 30mph, an area of no street lighting, the 30 repeater just behind the area where the photo was taken with the next repeater around the bend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 23:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

camera operator wrote:
i voted 30mph, an area of no street lighting, the 30 repeater just behind the area where the photo was taken with the next repeater around the bend

Cheat! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 02:07 
User

Location: Swindon, the home of the Magic Roundabout and no traffic planning
I voted 30 as the road looks like it supports NSL :twisted: , apart from the need for a slow sign near to the bend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 08:05 
User

Homer wrote:
TripleS wrote:

I find them very useful.

If I am on a twisty road waiting for an opportunity to overtake I will look out for the hzard lines ending around a bend as it tells me there is a stretch of good visibility around the corner and I can move up to the overtaking position rather than hanging on someones tail all the time.

You're assuming that the lines have been painted in the correct place though - I can think of examples where there are double white lines on stretches where its perfectly safe to overtake and likewise dashed lines where there isn't a hope in hell of a safe overtake.