71 or over 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 106
 Post subject: How old are you?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 08:31 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

See this thread:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15307

In case people are coy about admitting to their exact age, I thought I'd do a poll on the subject.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 09:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

54 this month, don't feel it though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 13:10 
User

I'm 18, and I passed in January earlier this year (I was 17 at the time of the test)

Post subject: Re: How old are you?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 22:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Been on this planet about 62 and a bit years ,but with kids more than half my age ,you never get the chance to age .And with teenage grand kids -say no more .

Sadly I can remember when the Post Office both sold stamps and provided a telephone service( Dad did one ,and I did the other) - when you had to double de clutch to get into first gear( also in many a PO vehicle) and when you didn't need an HGV Licence to drive a wagon .Police men also looked older then ,and after years of fearing for a clip round the ears for being "naughty" - there was still a healthy respect for polis in cars .
But then , perhaps I and others should start a "retired " or "veterans " branch of SS -so we could reminisce about old times on the road - with the good times like no limits ,and the bad times like no heaters in winter , no sanding in winter , few fuel stations and the good times when the police were our friends .Things like finding females with a puncture looking for a knight in armour , not a potential molester .
These days, if I find a broken down car ,with females ,and I'm on my own , I'll hesitate to stop .Years ago - I'd have had no problems .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 23:29 
Site Admin

Well I turned 48 recently. :)

I have normally felt like about 25 but recently I must say I think I do feel older now.
I can still recall no speed limits out of town, and ice on the inside of windows and you were really lucky if the car started on time to get to school !
Are good drivers bred I wonder ? or do we just learn well ?
When driving as well as you can possibly do was the aim. Could always start a in the days gone by topic. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 23:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Well I turned 48 recently. :)

I have normally felt like about 25 but recently I must say I think I do feel older now.
I can still recall no speed limits out of town, and ice on the inside of windows and you were really lucky if the car started on time to get to school !
Are good drivers breed I wonder ? or do we just learn well ?
When driving as well as you can possibly do was the aim. Could always start a in the days gone by topic. :lol:

Strangely enough ,Clair , got one daughter who could be a veterin on here - 33 ( I think , but age with females is always a problem) ,she's been on the road for about 13 or more years ,she's had her CBT for a couple of years ( and my GD is also a quad /bike fiend (she's got her own bike for when she's 16 and looking to that day)- so I've got a young road safety family . ),and at times in the car , I get " granpa -there's a car comong up the road" - Suspect she thinks Grtanpa is an old fuddy -.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 16:41 

20 on the seventh of Nov depressingly :( I don't want to accept I'm a man I don't feel like I man I still feel like I'm 17 or something :( Been signed up to SafeSpeed since I was 18 though :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 02:58 
User

2) Nothing gets hit, except to protect others; see Rule#1
3) The Laws of Physics are invincible and immutable - so-called 'laws' of men are not
4) You are always immediately and ultimately responsible for your safety first, then proximately responsible for everyone's
Do not let other road users' mistakes become yours, nor yours become others
5) The rest, including laws of the land, is thoughtful observation, prescience, etiquette, decorum, and cooperation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 16:41 

Woah The Rush I thought you were atleast 50. You come across as a lot older from your posts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 17:52 

Me too....lol

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 07:14 
User

Flynn wrote:
... I thought you were at least 50. You come across as a lot older from your posts.
Watch me drive, then average the two. You'll land smack dab in the mid-30s.

2) Nothing gets hit, except to protect others; see Rule#1
3) The Laws of Physics are invincible and immutable - so-called 'laws' of men are not
4) You are always immediately and ultimately responsible for your safety first, then proximately responsible for everyone's
Do not let other road users' mistakes become yours, nor yours become others
5) The rest, including laws of the land, is thoughtful observation, prescience, etiquette, decorum, and cooperation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 21:47 

Math was never my strong point.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 00:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mrs B's view - "Im old as the woman beside me " -and with our lot she's back to early thirties ,or more -looking after a grandson of a few month old ,when his mum is dog tired/gets sick etc soon lops the years off - and with grandkids asking "granpa howdo we do " -"algebra/fractions/ erc" - somehow they start to respect granpa when they find out granpa knows about these things ,and can explain the mysteries of algebra /fractions -waiting for the day when they get totally gobsmacked and ask me about calculus /integration/diferentiation etc and find out that I can explain that as well .
Only thing that is not nice is getting sore changing disc pads , when a few years ago it was a dawdle . Perhaps it's a sign if getting old ,or a sign that my discs need some sort of lubrication (preference is malt :D )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 14:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Image although I've probably said it elsewhere cuz I prattle a lot. I'm also very handsome but I'm going grey now, and bald. I've also put weight on and my eyesight is getting bad.

I miss being 25, I'd settle for 30. Even 40 sounds young to me now, at least then I could say "well maybe I've got more years in front of me than I have behind" but there aint no way I'm going to make 103!

Of course a man's as old as the woman he feels, but I don't have anyone so does that make me zero? :D

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.