Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 15:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Which would you respect more?
The person that let you out of a difficult junction. 76%  76%  [ 13 ]
The person that was driving near the limits of their car/themselves. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Both. 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Neither. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 19:29 
Offline
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:16
Posts: 7986
Location: Moved to London
dcbwhaley wrote:
Yeah. Silly isn't it? But every effort to debate with Steve seems to get bogged down in a mass of irrelevant detail. But there is an obvious solution.

Yes, it is very silly considering the OP accepted the possibility of the "Slightly wrong wording" and that we were both prepared to leave it at that.
As for your "irrelevant detail": you need look no further than your three faltering arguments within this thread.

Honestly, I don't know why you insisted on making such a mountain out of a molehill. I believe I can be forgiven for wanting to justify my opinion; if you don't like it then just don't respond.

_________________
Views expressed are personal opinions and are not necessarily shared by the Safe Speed campaign


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 07:27 
Offline
Supporter
Supporter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:45
Posts: 4042
Location: Near Buxton, Derbyshire
Steve wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
Yeah. Silly isn't it? But every effort to debate with Steve seems to get bogged down in a mass of irrelevant detail. But there is an obvious solution.

Yes, it is very silly considering the OP accepted the possibility of the "Slightly wrong wording" and that we were both prepared to leave it at that.
As for your "irrelevant detail": you need look no further than your three faltering arguments within this thread.

Honestly, I don't know why you insisted on making such a mountain out of a molehill. I believe I can be forgiven for wanting to justify my opinion; if you don't like it then just don't respond.


OK Steve, you can have the last word :)

_________________
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
When I see a youth in a motor car I do d.c.brown


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 14:17 
Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 14:06
Posts: 3654
Location: Oxfordshire
dcbwhaley wrote:
Pratnership wrote:
Ehhh it's all turned into some big logic argument...


Yeah. Silly isn't it? But every effort to debate with Steve seems to get bogged down in a mass of irrelevant detail. But there is an obvious solution.


Whoa! Again, try starting with the plank in your own eye!

On the logic side, Google "false dichotomy".

Cheers.

_________________
Regulation without education merely creates more criminals.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 16:15 
Offline
Supporter
Supporter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:45
Posts: 4042
Location: Near Buxton, Derbyshire
RobinXe wrote:
On the logic side, Google "false dichotomy". Cheers.

I don't need to. I am aware that Steve is trying to create just such a false dichotomy. But there is no dichotomy between the first two statements which is why "both" or "neither" are valid choices

_________________
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
When I see a youth in a motor car I do d.c.brown


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 21:50 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 20:19
Posts: 227
dcbwhaley wrote:
dichotomy
Quote:


Ain't that the study of the male appendage? :lol: Just like lobotomy............the study of mexican musicians


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 22:12 
Offline
Supporter
Supporter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:45
Posts: 4042
Location: Near Buxton, Derbyshire
samandben wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
dichotomy
Quote:


Ain't that the study of the male appendage? :lol: Just like lobotomy............the study of mexican musicians


I think a ...tomy is something more radical than a mere study. :lol:

_________________
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
When I see a youth in a motor car I do d.c.brown


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 00:25 
Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 23:26
Posts: 9260
Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
[quote="dcbwhaley
I think a ...tomy is something more radical than a mere study. :lol:[/quote]


Thought it was how to get maximum out for minimum input .

Whoops - mis read - thought you said "TONY" :D :lol:

_________________
lets bring sanity back to speed limits.
Drivers are like donkeys -they respond best to a carrot, not a stick .Road safety experts are like Asses - best kept covered up ,or sat on


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 20:07 
Offline
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:16
Posts: 7986
Location: Moved to London
dcbwhaley wrote:
I don't need to. I am aware that Steve is trying to create just such a false dichotomy. But there is no dichotomy between the first two statements which is why "both" or "neither" are valid choices

You’ve been given ample opportunity to explain this supposed false dichotomy; thus far you have failed, in fact you've not even tried.

There is little that can be said for those whose method of justification relies wholly on tripping up the opposer, whilst not actually justifying their own claims, as well as not answering any of the questions posed to them (even though all of theirs gets answered with seeming satisfaction), while they hurl insults, when the original point has already been amicably settled!

_________________
Views expressed are personal opinions and are not necessarily shared by the Safe Speed campaign


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 20:40 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 20:19
Posts: 227
Steve wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
I don't need to. I am aware that Steve is trying to create just such a false dichotomy. But there is no dichotomy between the first two statements which is why "both" or "neither" are valid choices

You’ve been given ample opportunity to explain this supposed false dichotomy; thus far you have failed, in fact you've not even tried.

There is little that can be said for those whose method of justification relies wholly on tripping up the opposer, whilst not actually justifying their own claims, as well as not answering any of the questions posed to them (even though all of theirs gets answered with seeming satisfaction), while they hurl insults, when the original point has already been amicably settled!


Handbags time :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 22:44 
Offline
Supporter
Supporter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:45
Posts: 4042
Location: Near Buxton, Derbyshire
samandben wrote:
Handbags time :roll:


I need a worthier opponent than Steve before risking my Louis Vuitton handbag in combat :lol:

_________________
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
When I see a youth in a motor car I do d.c.brown


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:37 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 20:19
Posts: 227
dcbwhaley wrote:

I need a worthier opponent than Steve before risking my Louis Vuitton handbag in combat :lol:


Ah, but does it have a dichotomy-pouch :lol:

Steve?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 16:04 
Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 14:06
Posts: 3654
Location: Oxfordshire
dcbwhaley wrote:
RobinXe wrote:
On the logic side, Google "false dichotomy". Cheers.

I don't need to. I am aware that Steve is trying to create just such a false dichotomy. But there is no dichotomy between the first two statements which is why "both" or "neither" are valid choices


You have clearly failed to understand.

Whilst you are exploring the realms of logical fallacies, you may want to examine the definition of ad hominem, because yours is reaching an egregious level that I'd be surprised to see tolerated much longer.

_________________
Regulation without education merely creates more criminals.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 17:43 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 20:19
Posts: 227
RobinXe wrote:
Whilst you are exploring the realms of logical fallacies, you may want to examine the definition of ad hominem, because yours is reaching an egregious level that I'd be surprised to see tolerated much longer.



What was ........ 'Which gets more respect' ..............about, again? Can't we get back to that now? :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 04:02 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 02:17
Posts: 7355
Location: Highlands
Pratnership wrote:
To quote myself 'This is just a light hearted poll to show that most people* are more impressed by manners and considerate driving than going as fast as possible.' Perhaps I was wrong in that assumption.
Might as well close it now, since it seems most people think I am one of the Daves, when in fact it could not be further from the truth. I do notice on this site that a lot of people automatically make that assumption sometimes whenever you say something about speed, and leap to the defence of going at speed.

Ah I think you have people wrong - it is because there is a huge degree of precision in every word and every situation - the more you are precise the better the response ...
You have 'assumed' that people can 'respect' someone going at the limit of their car going around a corner (safely) but many would not 'respect' it - they may 'relate' to it but that does not relate to the person showing courtesy.

I have not voted but not because I do not want to vote but because I do not 'understand' what you are getting at?
Talking can be like Chinese whispers - it is complicated. We need precise understanding to try and 'help' you are taking people 'wrong' here.
What is the balance that you are trying to ask ? Do people that like driving, prefer respect or driving precision ?
Even then both are ideal for those that love to drive to the best of their ability.
If you are trying to delve into the depths of precision driving, try asking is throttle steering or right speed/steering wheel set best to circumference a corner? (explain both just in case someone doesn't understand...)
If you want to compare 'value's' or driving skills it will never work as they are all important.
The 20mph poll that I have pointed to is the typical 'loaded' poll that is so tragically typical of many polls thee days. They want or expect you to select the 'propaganda' answers so that they can prove a point. I have re-worded a more tame but more fundamental poll taking it back to the real basics.
People want to help, and love taking part, but nothing around Safe Speed is that 'light hearted' and if it is, then state it is so, or it is automatically taken seriously with serious intent. :)

_________________
Safe Speed for Intelligent Road Safety through proper research, experience & guidance.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.255s | 14 Queries | GZIP : Off ]