Engine Size 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Make/Model 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
Make/Model 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
All Above 23%  23%  [ 18 ]
All Above 23%  23%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 78
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 23:41 

Since I got to the stage where I could actually afford to be choosy I have chosen on make/model with euipment/engines being the deciding factors.

Having said that the current car is not the make or model we wanted though it comes off the same production line and shares 99% of it's components as the one were looking for and will probably have a better resale value because of the badge.

The wife is of course more bothered about the colour.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 23:00 
Life Member
Life Member

I have a Ford Puma, because it is the most interesting thing that will fit in my extremely small garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 00:07 
Life Member
Life Member

being as i live in an extremely inhospitable enviroment that most cars are unable to stand up to a mitsubushi L400 4x4 (off-road people carrier) is my works van of choice.

makes light work of londons humpy roads as I swan around in air conditioned comfort:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 00:35 

Interesting conversation with my five year old daughter on the way home tonight, on this very topic...

"Daddy"
"Yes"
"When I grow up I want a car JUST like yours"
"Oh, why's that?"
<silence....then>
"well, it's got a really comfy place to rest my arm"
"oh"
"....and it goes really fast!"
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 18:35 

All of the above, maybe not the armrests but I'm becoming a big fan of heated seats.

My starting point is Audi, although the TT may be exchanged for something more fourseatedanddieselier.

So this is old age!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 20:40 
User

I think (hope) that when people choose a car a lot more goes into it than simply the options above. eg. Engine size? Buy a Scania ;)

I got mine to match my circumstances at the time I bought it. My boss insisted that I got something that looks presentable if I want to actually get car allowance, so no chavved-up Imprezas.

Since I have about half an hour of single carriageway A-roads, often containing tractors and HGVs, in every direction before I reach a DC or motorway, I wanted a car with good acceleration and a lot of power at the bottom end of the rev range, good handling and as much grip as I can get away with as there are a lot of overtaking spots that are twisty but with good visibility.

I also needed space to haul kit to jobs, and since I also spend a lot of time on the M6 constantly switching between 1st and 2nd, I decided that an auto would be a good idea.

I don't care about top speed too much in the current climate as actually using it will lose you your licence very quickly.

I also wanted to be able to do long (4-8 hour) trips without being in a lot of pain.

Not too fussed about fuel consumption.

I don't want the image problem associated with BMWs and other reps cars. There's nothing wrong with the cars themselves but the way other drivers treat you changes and you spend more time waiting at junctions. I also didn't want the chav image for the same reason, and prefer a car that goes faster than it looks rather than the other way around, hopefully it's less likely to get nicked these days.

Also, I can't afford a Porsche :(

So I got a Subaru Legacy B4 RSK, 2 litre with sequential twin turbos and billstein suspension. I honestly can't think of a car that meets my requirements better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 21:39 
User

I'm an "All of the above person"

Got a Cougar since they're cheap second hand, good looking (subjective, but I like it), handle great (well mine is lowered actually), is fairly powerful yet still manages over 30mpg for driving to work, has a V6 up front and sounds great, is comfy for long drives - used to drive from Cranwell in Lincs to Carmarthen SW Wales every weekend with it, and has the biggest boot space I've ever owned (especially with back seats folded down) so it's really practical for household duties and radio control models I like playing with.

Suits me. No idea what I'll eventually replace it with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 02:28 

I look for:

Practicallity, Economy, comfort (am a bit of a short arse so not all cars fit), safety kit, drivers aids (toys), comfortable to drive especially long distances (do too much motorway driving). If it's a 'fun' car to drive then it's a bonus.

Am currently driving a Citroen C4 VTR+ 138bhp diesel (50-55mpg yes please), lots of safety kit, is fast enough for me (good on the overtake), climate control and is a bit different from the Focus and Astra that reside this way and best of all for the same spec in the previous cars is 2k cheaper !! :lol:

Gripes, the boot isn't as big as the Xsara (but it has more leg room) and it only has one reversing light, and the 'teardrop' narrow where they should be at thier widest.

But overall I'd give it a big :bighand:

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 02:30 

Oops should read 'teardrop' wing mirrors... :oops:

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 17:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

hi all
mrs g has a 3.30csi bmw this will be 8th bmw she has owned, and is a great car. heavy on gas but a delight to drive .. i bought a toyota rav 4x4 as i live and work in london. the driving position is good and the wheel space is perfect for the dammned road humps. its the petrol version and auto gives me aprox 24 mpg in town and much better on motorway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 18:17 
User

PeterE wrote:
M3RBMW wrote:
My ONLY reason for buying a car is performance.

But surely that single-seat, hoodless roadster with no luggage capacity and 4 mpg fuel consumption is a bit impractical?

I would suggest even you decide on the practical requirements for a vehicle and once that is established go for the best performance on offer.

Unless, perhaps, you make all your "serious" journeys by foot, pedal cycle or public transport, and only use a car for fun?

i cant say anything regarding the M3 but if this response is generally aimed at fast cars then i have to speak up :D

again, this time i am buying a fast car but since its a LOT of money, im choosing exactly what i want and it comes in the shape of an EVO6 RS2 in white. the body is very similiar to my current car (1998 Galant) but its performance and handling is equal to some of the biggest names in the perfomance car market. fast does not mean small and pokey (thankfully) but admittedly, fuel consumption is low. still, i dont do ridiculously high miles so im not worried about fuel bills

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585