They make driving less enjoyable 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
They make driving less enjoyable 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
They are a threat to my livelihood 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
They are a threat to my livelihood 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I do not oppose / am indifferent to speed cameras 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I do not oppose / am indifferent to speed cameras 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 102
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 06:50 

Title says it all. Just wanted to know what everyone's motivations are.

You can only choose one, so choose the one most significant to you.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 13:11 
User

I really wanted to vote for all of the first four, but I just settled for number 4 in the end, on the grounds that they interfere with my enjoyment of motoring freedon, without adding anything useful to the safety situation for me or anyone else.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 13:32 
User

Decided on " They are detrimental to road safety", as i feel they are being used instead of properly funded and trained Traffic Police.

Speed cameras are all to do with budgets and not to do with road safety.

A Police Officer giving out warnings and advice for minor ( but safe ) infringements of the law can have a much better influence on road safety but costs money, speed cameras pinging all that go past over the limit ( the majority safely ) makes money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 01:42 

Thanks once again for your feedback. I must admit, the justice issue is the big one for me. We place a lot of trust in those that dispense the law, and it is not good to see that trust being abused for the sake of an "easy buck"

But it's the safety aspect that is YOUR biggest worry. It's not just your human rights that are being compromised for the sake of money, it's the value of your lives too....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 01:55 
Site Admin

antera309 wrote:
But it's the safety aspect that is YOUR biggest worry. It's not just your human rights that are being compromised for the sake of money, it's the value of your lives too....

Out of interest, when I started the Safe Speed campaign in 2001, my main concern was poor justice. It was only after I examined the government case and the accident statistics that I realised just how badly safety was being damaged.

I thought the trend damage on this page: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/fatality.html was so serious that I gave up work in early 2003 to run the campaign full time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 20:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I voted justice, because I believe the punishments are dispropotianatly harsh and indiscriminate. Perhaps this further emphasises their detrimental effect on road saferty as people as people understandably want to protect their licences and livelyhood by taking dramatic avoiding action like slamming on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 21:23 

Interesting. So far the consensus is that they are detrimental to road safety.

I think this is an important issue that seems have got lost in a lot of the media crossfire in the past.

Anti car groups see it as a kind of punishment for transgressing the law (and daring to drive at all) but without considering the overall picture. Economics has swamped the argument as well on both sides of the fence.

I do feel that with the most recent press reports the road safety issue is starting to get across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 05:24 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Gizmo wrote:
Interesting. So far the consensus is that they are detrimental to road safety.

I think this is an important issue that seems have got lost in a lot of the media crossfire in the past.

Anti car groups see it as a kind of punishment for transgressing the law (and daring to drive at all) but without considering the overall picture. Economics has swamped the argument as well on both sides of the fence.

I do feel that with the most recent press reports the road safety issue is starting to get across.

Would that that were the picture, I could cope with it, I think. Sadly, the anti-car groups not only think of scameras as punishment for motorists, but also think they are a safety aid. That is the falacious bit which makes the case against them a much more difficult nut to crack. They are wrong, but the simplistic argument they put up makes those in the capability loop run scared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 20:07 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Wuld like to vote for the first four , but the one i think stands out is the detriment to road safety - the idea now, like drinking is under the limit and your safe , but unlike drinking - too much attention is being given to numbers - too much of a drivers attention in the "danger zone" is given up to speedo watching and the need to know if flashed under the limit by keeping tabs on the mirror so that the actual number on the speedo is known to mount a defence.
To my mind a driver doing about 30 keeping all their attention on the road is far safer than one at 25 spending half the time looking at the speedo.