A question for you all are any of you Advanced Drivers either with the
1. Institute of Advanced Motorists
2. ROSPA

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 03:48 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

... but am seriously considering one or other after my hols.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 05:58 
Site Admin

The following poll: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=925 is similar.

Presently 35% (19 out of 54 respondents) claim to have taken advanced driver training.

I don't think it's right to limit responses to IAM and RoADA - there's plenty of commercial training out there too. I know - I've done over 20 courses, but your conditions would lead me to answer 'no'.

Post subject: Re: Advanced Drivers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 08:48 

Stephen wrote:
1. Institute of Advanced Motorists
2. ROSPA

Limiting to those two, no.

I have a few issues with the IAM's attitude to certain driving practices. I really can't agree with their "letter of the law" policy.

And the less I say about ROSPA the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

yes, but not with the 2 you've mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:04 
User

IAM since 1993. RoSPA Gold this June ( both car ). Currrently preparing for IAM Bike Test.

I too do not necessarily agree with their letter of the law policy, but still feel the benefits to my driving meant the time and effort involved was worthwhile.

Would recommend it to any driver, while some have trouble with "the system" or steering, most who have done it seem to agree that the improvement in forward planning and observation changes their driving for the better.

Always good to get a 2nd opinion of our driving, even if may not agree with all that is said. Both my IAM and RoSPA observers were willing to discuss and explain things, and were not the stereotypical "i know best" members that both organisations can seem to include.

My IAM Bike observer for is excellent - my riding is much smoother and progressive after a few runs. The bike groups don't seem to suffer from the negative image quite so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:04 
User

Have all the advanced driver courses - IAM, RoSPA, etc. You learn to think about und evaluate each drive. An intelligent driver will always think und seek to improve at all times - after all numpties invent new numpty tricks...or behave with ever increasing stupidity - Darwin gene :wink: :roll: :shock: :o :? :shock:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:29 
Life Member
Life Member

I have taken coaching with RideDrive. Also, with some trepidation (for reasons mentioned above), signed up for IAM. I have assessment drive this w/e.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 15:02 
Supporter
Supporter

RoSPA Silver - June 2005

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 20:43 
User

IAM - Nov 1987
RoSPA - (Silver) - June 1989 - cancelled membership after a year as didnt like their negative attitude to enjoying driving!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 19:19 

personally I think RoADA (the advanced driving arm of RoSPA) is a lost cause. They are too small and too often ignored by the safety nazis in rospa.

the IAM on the other hand is an organisation struggling to accept current road safety practices and niether supports the current use of speed cameras or current speed limit policy.

Of course there are 1000s of silly old twits who go on about being 'ADVANCED'.

Both the IAM and RoSPA are DSA regonised and both offer a graded test pass (although the IAM's special assessment is not very popular).

the last accredited group is DIAmond, but from what i've heard - their test is very similar to the DSA L test and I think they only got accredited because they blew smoke up the DSA's Ar**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 19:32 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

diy wrote:
personally I think RoADA (the advanced driving arm of RoSPA) is a lost cause. They are too small and too often ignored by the safety nazis in rospa.

RoADA does have the advantage of giving graded results, and requiring retests every three years, which appeals to some of the keener amongst the advanced driving fraternity.

If the IAM required retests it would simply lose thousands of members and a lot of income overnight - but I see no reason why it couldn't offer a kind of two-tier membership to those who wanted it.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 23:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kendalian wrote:
IAM - Nov 1987
RoSPA - (Silver) - June 1989 - cancelled membership after a year as didnt like their negative attitude to enjoying driving!

that's why this lot exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:01 

PeterE wrote:
diy wrote:

RoADA does have the advantage of giving graded results, and requiring retests every three years, which appeals to some of the keener amongst the advanced driving fraternity.

If the IAM required retests it would simply lose thousands of members and a lot of income overnight - but I see no reason why it couldn't offer a kind of two-tier membership to those who wanted it.

IAM still does 10 x the number of tests than RoADA. Don't forget Senior observers retest every 3 years and have to score 80+ to retain status.

IAM sees the advanced test as a minimum standard to join and move on (advanced plus, observer training, special assessment etc). the IAM advanced test should not be seen as a gold standard. I also think the bronze silver gold rospa grades sets the opinion that a RoSPA gold person is as good as they can get. This is wrong Everyone can improve.

Also RoSPA stepped up it campaign to lower the Drink drive limit today - I cannot see the logic behind this?