Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

What is your reaction when following a driver at exactly 30mph in a 30 zone? Your familiar with the road and know that enforcement is very unlikely.
Your happy as you aim to adhere to all speed limits at all times. 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Your happy as you aim to adhere to all speed limits at all times. 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
You'd like to go a bit quicker, but have no issue with someone sticking to the limit. 24%  24%  [ 23 ]
You'd like to go a bit quicker, but have no issue with someone sticking to the limit. 24%  24%  [ 23 ]
Your frustrated - but at the limit itself, not the driver 19%  19%  [ 18 ]
Your frustrated - but at the limit itself, not the driver 19%  19%  [ 18 ]
Your frustrated - with the driver in front sticking to an innapropriatly low speed limit. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Your frustrated - with the driver in front sticking to an innapropriatly low speed limit. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Your furious and will do whatever it takes to get past or intimidate the driver into pulling over. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Your furious and will do whatever it takes to get past or intimidate the driver into pulling over. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
You couldn't care less what speed people did. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
You couldn't care less what speed people did. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 94
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 20:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I thought about this poll becasue originally I used to get frustrated with drivers doing exactly the limit as often I knew the road, knew is was safe to go quicker(often they had higher limits anyway). I'd never attempt to intimidate them or in anyway make them uncomftable, but I felt annoyed that I couldn't drive at a speed I felt to be more approriate. Then I began to think about it from the other drivers point of view - perhaps they aren't from the area, or have 9 points etc, etc or even that they have a misguided belief that absolute speed limt compliance is essestial. Thats why I thought I'd see what other people thought......

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 20:21 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

You are posing this as if the limit has been reduced. If that is so, and for no good reason other than political correctness, then I am annoyed at the speed limit. Otherwise, I travel at a safe speed, which, given one in front travelling at or around the limit, has to be the same. Rarely is it safe to go past someone at the speed limit on a single carriageway road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 20:43 
User

Voted "happy, as i aim to adhere to speed limits"

But would add that i only consider speed limits to be those in red circle, if i was following someone bang on limit in NSL then i may overtake if safe, clear opportunity presented itself and i feel a higher speed would be safe and enable me to make more progress.

If they were driving up to limit decisively then i would usually follow behind with large gap in front for any one else to overtake, if they dawdled up to limit then i would be looking to overtake ( in NSL ) at 1st safe opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 21:55 
Site Admin

None of the above. If overtaking is safe and appropriate then I overtake.

It isn't frustrating, but in the old 30mph zones it was rare for overtaking to be appropriate. You can't say that about many modern 30s.

I think I've managed to train myself to always treat other drivers in an impersonal way. I try to negotiate them in the same way that I would negotiate a bend. The bend isn't in my way, it's just a part of the road. the other drivers aren't in my way, they are just part of the environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 22:40 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The answer very much depends on whether the limit is appropriate or not. If someone abides by the limit in an urban area, and otherwise drives decisively and positively, then hats off to them.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 08:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've voted for happy to stay at the limit assuming that in this specific case it really is safer to go faster, though I'd be looking for an opportunity to pass or maybe take an alternative route if it looked like I'd get badly held up. Hmmm, actually that means there's no straight answer after all. Rigid adherence to the limit when it's safe to go faster is a little irritating but not a big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 09:05 
User

While I might like to go faster (where it is safe to do so), if somebody else is driving at the limit, then I respect that and will maintain a safe and curtious distance behind them.

This even applies to people doing exactly 70mph in L3 of a motorway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 23:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Some interesting replies - I just wondered if people got irratated when behind a driver who is exactly on the limt, and it seems not - I suppose a lot depends on the rest of their driving. It can be too easy to think 'Come on' to yourself if your familiar with your surroundings but the person in front might not be. More appropriate limits wouldn't go amiss however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 03:27 

You can't really set speed limits for other people.

What is a safe and appropriate speed for one person could be deadly for another.

I don't have any problem with the speed of 99% of other drivers but I know some people do. And it's not just those going slower they take exception to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 13:17 
User

Quote:
I don't have any problem with the speed of 99% of other drivers but I know some people do. And it's not just those going slower they take exception to.

It is often those who have a problem with other drivers overtaking them safely in NSL that have the biggest attitude problem when they are behind someone who is driving on the limit in built up areas.

The "45mph everywhere" driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 19:17 
Life Member
Life Member

It depends on the conditions and the road itself, corners? wet? ice?, parked vehicles etc etc. Speed should be appropriate so 20mph maybe too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 16:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
30 Limit - why - what hazards around - shops with kids, some sort of pedestrian crossing - parked cars ( ideal for hiding little kids)- obscured vision .
You paint a 30 limit picture without quantifying risk - perhaps i'd be doing 20 and car doing 30 wouldn't be bothering me . It all depends on the conditions - i set my speed by the risk factor, in lower limits up to the limit. I also add in to the equation that the lower limit could be there as a cash generator if it all looks loverly - as someone else said - perhaps even 20 would be too fast.
All being well and 30 safe - i'd probably be doing about 29 - i don't intend to donate to the cameramans wages.
As the man says - forget numerical speed - start thinking safe speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 18:59 
User

I have absolutely NO problem with following someone doing the set speed limit, my ONLY frustration is when they can't hold a constant speed on a straight road, or excessive braking for bends, eg. 40 for a bend safe at 60. I have a reasonably powerfull car, and do appreciate it when (slower) conciderate drivers allow me to overtake to provide a higher average speed and they don't just floor it on the straights (frustration causes what now?). I always return the favour. What goes around comes around. So when i see a 250bhp monster looming up my rear, I respectfully pull in a little & make passing easier. Beware boy-racers though, a 17 year old in his 1988 nova with a waste paper bin for an exhaust, flashing it's assortment of lights just doesn't elicit the same response - go crash somewher else! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 19:55 
Life Member
Life Member

I'd actually find it refreshing for someone to be doing 30mph in front of me - they normally vary their speed between 15 and 25mph without any reason to, normally on a road that would be safe at 60. (and probably was a few years ago)

Cheers
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 19:25 
User

it doesnt bother me although i would normally go a little faster circumstances allowing. not a lot though, maybe 32 in a 30. seems odd but i find that people get frustrated when i sit bang on 30 but this problem is lessened by going a couple of MPHs over.

the one that does bug me is like the one i had today. im doing just over 30 and he is on my arse. hit a 50 limit (urban dual carriageway), i speed up and he drops back into the distance :? i dont like these people who stick to one speed regardless of conditions or speed limit :x

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585