A ban 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A ban 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jail 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jail 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 108
 Post subject: Deliberate Wheelspins
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 02:39 
Site Admin

Further to news item: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5612 where a New Zealand Businessman had his AMG Mercedes confiscated for spinning the wheels. He also potentially faces three months in jail.

I want to know what we think about deliberate wheelspins. For the sake of the poll, let's assume that there is no obvious or immediate danger.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 08:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

there's one more thing to consider - these laws were brought in because "the boys" like to congregate at various sites and, amongst other things, lay rubber. Now if it's a deserted industrial park I couldn't care less but when it's outside your house at 1am then it becomes a problem. Obviously you'd expect a little discretion in the application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 09:17 
User

Location: Swindon, the home of the Magic Roundabout and no traffic planning
If its a really good smoker, give a £50 prize.

All joking aside, my Vectra wheelspins like a bas***d. Its got 215 section tyres, its only a 1.8. As the front end is light because of the "small" engine for the body size, a quick pull away rapidly turns into a wheelspin. It doesn't have TCS fitted, so its up to you to do some clutch dipping.

It pees me off that even a moderately fast pull away causes a massive wheelspin - or putting your foot down in first after pulling away can cause a big loss of traction.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 09:18 

johnsher wrote:
there's one more thing to consider - these laws were brought in because "the boys" like to congregate at various sites and, amongst other things, lay rubber. Now if it's a deserted industrial park I couldn't care less but when it's outside your house at 1am then it becomes a problem. Obviously you'd expect a little discretion in the application.

One might argue that that's breach of the peace and covered by other laws already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 09:30 
User

As for a fine, surely ripping the shreds out of your tyres is expensive enough as is? :lol:

Seriously though - my bike will wheelspin at tickover in 2nd on a greasy road. There's very little can be done to control it because of the nature of the engine. I wouldn't like to be fined or whatever just because of the nature of the vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:10 

How do you decide whether wheelspin was deliberate? Even the most lurid tailslide might well have initiated accidentally and just been badly controlled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:45 
Life Member
Life Member

A noisy, smoky "burn out" merits a sharp lecture from Plod IMHO - it does make a bloody awful noise and the stink of burning rubber isn't exactly pleasant... But prosecution??? Mind you, they're a bit strange in NZ and as they don't have much crime, I suppose they have to invent a few new ones to keep their police occupied. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

johnsher wrote:
Now if it's a deserted industrial park I couldn't care less but when it's outside your house at 1am then it becomes a problem.

:yesyes: If nobody is in the area that can be disturbed then it really doesn't matter. They can wheelspin for as long as they like. However delibrate wheelspinning in residential areas is highly annoying, especially so late at night. The problem is compounded since wheelspining often goes hand-in-hand with a huge big-bore exhaust.

If the police could be trusted to use it properly then I see no problem with a small fine if done delibrately, excessively, and in a residential area. It's really nothing more then anti-social behavoir. However since the chance to issue a fine will probably be overused then I would prefer a simple ticking off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:56 
User

Like blademansw, I can have MAJOR wheelspin on even a (Clarksonism) Mildly Moist road when I want a quick get away from a junction. If I leave my TC on, I'm liable to have the electronics strand me mid-way as they try in vain to give the rear wheels some traction by killing the power. I've since taken to switching off the T/C when I anticipate that 1) quick take-off reqd. and 2) it's safe to do so..not on ice!
This will enevitably result in some 'mild' wheelspin, but is much more safe than trusting the gizmos at such a low speed. It CAN be percieved as antisocial, and even my wife took some persuading that it made for a better exit! (Demo followed: TC v no TC, point taken....). I'd be fined nearly every damp day I'm out as ALL of my wheelspins are technically 'on purpose' as I had the means to prevent them....either keep the TC on, creep away from junctions or pull away in second.

I voted for do nothing - it's a non-crime. OK, slap one of their ASBO's on the numpties if they do burn-outs or doughnuts in a public area, but the odd little 'chirp' or 'scuff' is just part of life when you drive a car!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:52 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stick the same laws on it as you have for horns - between 11:30 and 7, not in a residential area except in an emergency. Nowt wrong with dumping the clutch or the odd drift so long as it's done safely (and no other road users are alarmed, of course)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 15:03 
User

spankthecrumpet wrote:
Stick the same laws on it as you have for horns - between 11:30 and 7, not in a residential area except in an emergency. Nowt wrong with dumping the clutch or the odd drift so long as it's done safely (and no other road users are alarmed, of course)

Yeah, and like anyone obays THAT law?! There's an industrial yard over the back from here (about 1/2mile I guess), with Iceland and a company called Conlon I think and they don't even turn the reversing beacons off on the trucks over night - there was one going off at 1:30 this morning. Having said that I did once watch one of the Conlon's lorries leave a filling station without putting his filler cap back on...I'm glad I was in the car that day... :shock: :shock: :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 16:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have 215 tyres on my alfa (1.6), it will wheel spin on dry day even with traction control and ASR.

If you want to wreak your tyres and get baldspots your choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 20:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Einion Yrth wrote:
One might argue that that's breach of the peace and covered by other laws already.

amongst other things. The argument was along the lines of "the only thing these kids are worried about is losing their cars so we'll bring in a law that says we can confiscate their cars." It was meant to cover total anti-social behaviour although as with all laws there are over-zealous police out there applying them where not warranted. I seem to remember a court case where they'd pinged a WRX driver for doing a burnout. He went to court and showed that it was impossible for him to do this on a dry road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 21:46 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I'm probably going to regret this
Quote:
I have 215 tyres on my alfa

My Honda manges with 4.. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 00:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:lol: :lol: bum head :D

I have four wheels which are 215mm wide. :roll: :roll:

I wonder what it would look like with 215 wheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 00:31 
Life Member
Life Member

ree.t wrote:
I wonder what it would look like with 215 wheels

Asymmetric? :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 00:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

One in the middle at the front to steer :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 21:28 
User

Back on topic:

It comes down to definition of what wheel spin means:

At the most obvious definition of spin meaning to turn, then this sounds like exactly what the anti-car fascist want; you can have a car, but if we see those wheels moving, then you should be sent to jail.

Then there is spinning the wheels because available torque is higher than available grip, i.e. you put the throttle down a bit further than was strictly necessary to move the car forwards. Often done by accident, because you want to move quickly and physics is stopping you.

Finally there is Number 11, doughnuts, continuous drifting, etc, which is taking the previous statement a bit further for fun. This is often a spectator sport, and there are even official world records, such as that held by ScoobySport (on Scoobynet) for continuously doing a 4-wheel drift for several hours (he either ran out of petrol or tyres).

Discarding the first, the second and third definitions vary only by intent. Should they be a criminal offence? I don't think so. If there is a situation where the third definition is being abused in a dangerous situation, or where it causes annoyance to residents, then there are other offences that can be used, such as dangerous driving or anti-social behaviour. Confiscation of the car and potentially a jail term are very extreme punishments.

Where this sort of thing is happening in residential areas, then the solution is to find another area where it can be done without harm and under some supervision. Any big car-park should be fine.

What will really happen if you confiscate a young tearaways pride and joy? He will get another one, that he won't care about loosing, and do it again just so that he can stick his fingers up at the interfering sods that called the police the first time, but this time the car is nicked, and will probably still be there when he has finished, although the Fire Brigade will have to put it out before it can be confiscated.

The original new article is yet another example of how far from serving the public our public servant have become.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 00:20 
User

Roger wrote:
I'm probably going to regret this
Quote:
I have 215 tyres on my alfa

My Honda manges with 4.. :roll:

PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 00:22 
User

I can get quite effective wheel spin in a fully laden 44ton truck, given the right circumstances, brown trouser syndrome time though.