Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

What is your opinion of the verdict in the case of PC Mark Milton?
He should have been acquitted 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
He should have been acquitted 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
The verdict was a reasonable compromise in the circumstances 12%  12%  [ 9 ]
The verdict was a reasonable compromise in the circumstances 12%  12%  [ 9 ]
He should have been severely punished 20%  20%  [ 15 ]
He should have been severely punished 20%  20%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 74
 Post subject: PC Mark Milton
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 19:07 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

There's been a lot of debate about the outcome of this case, in which he was convicted of dangerous driving but given an absolute discharge. So do you think the verdict was right?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 20:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'd like to qualify my vote here.

I went for the third option - but only because I think those speeds are beyond excessive - ie dangerous. NOT because he was breaking any arbitrary limits. If he'd been doing more reasonable speeds my vote would have been different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 20:59 
User

I went for the first option. The facts of this case and the bringing of it to court expose the hypocrisy behind the 'speed kills' mantra. The reality is that speed doesn't kill as this case proves - it is bad driving that kills.

The law however is being engineered to align itself with the lie that is being repeated so often that people are starting to believe it is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 21:02 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I went for "punished".

I recently found out that he didn't take the necessary measures to minimise risk to other road users; that qualifies for dangerous driving (regardless of speed travelled).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 21:08 
Site Admin

Much as I'd love to answer this, I cannot.

Is 159mph dangerous driving in itself? Of course not - ask a German.

Did Mark Milton drive dangerously? I suspect he did, but I haven't seen the evidence and I really don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 00:13 
Life Member
Life Member

I'm ambivalent to the 159mph on the M54.

I'm a little uncomfortable with his 91 in a 30 though.

Personally, I'd have been happier if this had not been brought into the public domain though, and addressed through private Police channels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 00:30 

I've voted for punished if only because of the hypocrisy of the situation. Like Graeme says though, these speeds really are very OTT and unnecessary - I'd be curious as to what percentage of Autobahn drivers actually achieve 159mph. I also have never encountered a 30mph limit where 90mph would be safe; 60mph maybe, but certainly not 90 (though I wouldn't be surprised if there are one or two around where 90 *may* be possible).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 00:36 
Site Admin

Nemesis wrote:
I also have never encountered a 30mph limit where 90mph would be safe...

Think of the transition out of a 30mph limit zone. So many are extended for 1/4 mile beyond the buildings...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 02:22 

I don't feel I have enough info to decide on his guilt or innocence, so I haven't voted. I don't understand how he can be guilty but not be punished.

If he's guilty of dangerous driving he surely must deserve to be punished for it?

If he doesn't deserve to be punished, which is supposed to act as a deterrent after all, then was what he did really dangerous?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 14:31 

MrsMiggins wrote:

If he's guilty of dangerous driving he surely must deserve to be punished for it?

If he doesn't deserve to be punished, which is supposed to act as a deterrent after all, then was what he did really dangerous?

I agree, my thoughts exactly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 15:02 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

MrsMiggins wrote:

That's well put, and if he doesn’t deserve to be punished and wasn't really dangerous, then how can they condone the average motorist being done for 10%+2mph over the speed limit, and their lives made a misery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 16:50 
Life Member
Life Member

MrsMiggins wrote:
f dangerous driving he surely must deserve to be punished for it?

This is pretty much the loop I'm stuck in myself over the issue, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 21:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SigmaMotion wrote:
I'm ambivalent to the 159mph on the M54.

I'm a little uncomfortable with his 91 in a 30 though.

Personally, I'd have been happier if this had not been brought into the public domain though, and addressed through private Police channels.

I think I'm right in saying that this took place in south Shropshire in the wee small hours. If that were so there was probably a rusty 205 diesel full of drunk young farmers flashing it's lights trying to get past...

I've no idea how fast people go past my house, most people do high 30's, but some of the sports bike really push on. I can tell this by the high pitch screaming from 4cyl jap bike and the 5 gear changes. Just 'cos it's a 30 doesn't mean you're going to cause death and distruction at high speed in the middle of the night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 21:22 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The wide divergence of opinion on this issue is interesting, and reflects the discussion in the main thread. Clearly this is one where the "SafeSpeed community" doesn't enjoy broad agreement.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 21:29 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

PeterE wrote:
The wide divergence of opinion on this issue is interesting, and reflects the discussion in the main thread. Clearly this is one where the "SafeSpeed community" doesn't enjoy broad agreement.

I think it proves that the Safespeed community are not "sheep" and that, in tyhe absence of concrete facts from which one can draw concrete conclusions, they will form opinions based on their own logic and not be frightened of speaking their mind.

I think had you put an option "too little information" or "This case should never have been brought in the first place" you might have had nearer 100% agreement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:36 
Life Member
Life Member

Roger wrote:
I think had you put an option "too little information" ...

I haven't voted and have refrained from comment exactly for this reason.

None of us know the facts of the case, we're all speculating from what's been in the press - and we all know (or should!) how accurate that normally is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 14:35 

I choose the first option... It would be nice to see the evidence though, and have a bit of an evaluation of his driving...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 00:23 

I think if we are going to penalise driver for excessive speeding when not authorised to do so, then let it apply to ALL drivers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 16:20 

I voted for the first option, as 159mph (or even higher) is perfectly safe, when appropriate...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 13:06 

I think he should have been disqualified, so I voted for the last option. What defence would I have, if I were caught doing 159mph on a motorway? Would it do me any good in court to argue that I needed to find out how my car handled, and that because there was no traffic around, it was perfectly safe? If the police need to assess a particular car, it should be done on a dedicated test track, and if they don't have one they could build one out of the proceeds of speed camera fines.

I was in the Ledbury area recently and saw a mobile van trap being operated by the West Mercia police. It was clearly at a designated location because my RoadAngel™ unit began singing like a canary, which it does even when no van is there. On this occasion, however, oncoming cars were flashing their lights at me. Sure enough, there it was. I waved at the police as I went past - no, not the Agincourt salute, but just a friendly "ner-ner-ne-ner-ner-better-luck-next-time" wave. Maybe I'll get a NIP for that!

I think WM police have got a thundering cheek to target motorists who might be doing 45 in a 40 area such as this, when they themselves are seemingly exempt from the rules. What next - legalised homicide? "Well, your honour, I'm in an armed unit, and needed to try out my Heckler and Koch MP5 to make sure it could do the job for which it was designed".