Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 04:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Diesel Problem Exposed
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 13:14 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Might be worth keeping an eye out for the MCN this Wednesday.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 13:58 
User

Aww! :x

Fancy having to wait on tenterhooks until Wednesday. Glad I dont have a problem with MY diesel! :roll: (except finding enough dosh to fill the tank every now and then!)

Do you know what it is Dixie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 14:54 
User

Oh god, I wonder what it could be, the suspense! :o :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 14:58 
User

Somehow I strongly doubt that a big company like Woolies (picured in the article) has been dumping diesel....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 20:03 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think MCN is a load of rubbish. It's always some poor biker this or poor biker that, blar, blar, blar or how some MP/MEP or whoever has got it in for bikers. Poor little things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 21:16 
User

It will likely be to do with spilt diesel on bends causing bikers to spill off!
Leave the cap off and it gets dumped on corners?

The wollies lorries will be a library picture! 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 22:23 

adam.L wrote:
I think MCN is a load of rubbish. It's always some poor biker this or poor biker that, blar, blar, blar or how some MP/MEP or whoever has got it in for bikers. Poor little things.

Shocking, isn't it. :shock: You know, only last week I saw a music magazine which included stories specifically targetted at people who were into music. What ever is the world coming to? :roll:

More seriously, it's a paper aimed at people who ride bikes. It's not exactly a surprise that they publish stories about bikes/bikers, is it? The fact that they occasionally campaign to help road safety for bikes isn't that horrifying either.

It's also not a surprise that they obsess about riders rights: no bikes = a lot of unemployed bike journalists. And, don't forget, just because they're paranoid, doesn't mean you're not all out to get us. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 19:19 
User

adam.L wrote:

tell you what. we'll all start buying British when you lot start buying British. poor farmers, don't your heart bleed for 'em? Did your goats get eaten by the troll? or are you that troll? I can't see why you're posting in an area you have no interest in, except to stir up anti farmer feelings. I mean no one talks of joggers or running, as much a menace as horse riders and cyclists that don't use the cycle paths. Did the local council drop a fine you for dropping diesel from your tractor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 21:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

covmike wrote:
adam.L wrote:

tell you what. we'll all start buying British when you lot start buying British. poor farmers, don't your heart bleed for 'em? Did your goats get eaten by the troll? or are you that troll? I can't see why you're posting in an area you have no interest in, except to stir up anti farmer feelings. I mean no one talks of joggers or running, as much a menace as horse riders and cyclists that don't use the cycle paths. Did the local council drop a fine you for dropping diesel from your tractor?

I have a full motorcyle license and my low performance motorcyle gets used every day and that includes when it's snowing.

My car in made in swindon
my tractor was built in Doncaster
my potato harvest and destoner were both built in boston lincs.
My apples have union flags on them as does all my meat, cheese and milk, veg and most stuff I eat

The reasons I posted about MCN was similar to the conversation I had with my brother (he has a new CBF1000) last night. MCN is crap. every time I read it there is always some body moaning about how hard done by "bikers" are. Diesel spills/mud on roads, shiney man holes, smidsy car drivers. Everyone is wrong except "bikers". Probably the same "bikers" that were tearing up and down the A12 yesterday with their noisy pipes going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than the flow of traffic and making waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more noise that all the traffic put together. There were a group of them racing between roundabouts doing an about turn and going round them again. These were grown men for gods sake. If you want to ride like that go to a track day and if you don't, don't be suprised when people put there fingers in their ears when you have a genuine greavence (sp). It's bad PR.

I don't doubt that if you drop your bike because some fool hasn't screwed their fuel cap on properly you are hopping mad *
(assuming you can still walk) but both my proper bike riding brother and myself agreed that bikers don't do them selves many favours. Bro said how annoyed he was when one of his favorit roads was in Bike. "I'll have to find a new one now because it will be swamped with idiots"

*I know how much a stupid bike/ground interface costs :oops:, but it was my fault and I paid...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 22:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Seen spills on roads - felt the effect on a car /van on an island ---today SAW the evidence - at a bus stop , an extension of a laybye - the car bit - pure tarmac---the bus bit - (WAS WET , I ADMIT) blue/greeney blue liquid on road - diesel spill i'd say.I know i checked my grip on the car pedals before setting off .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 00:15 
User

adam.L wrote:

come on now, you have to admit that if you read your first post above, it looks like some farmer has dropped in to stir up sh1t. all the things you mention are concerns for all of us. yes we do get discriminatory laws passed against us and sometimes it's down to a minority of bikers feeling agrieved someone pulled out in front of them. the fact they were doing 80 in a 30 is beside the point :shock: what those fellas were doing between those roundabnouts has been going on since bikes were invented. lighten up a bit, you wre young once. I grew up in rural somerset and know all about bad road conditions and how to handle them, doing it every day is bit different to doing once a month. back then there was nothing we could do about it. now we can. we are part of the transport system and for far too long we've been ignored. just because you've got a bee in your wig about a couple of blokes, doesn't mean we're all like that, so your remarks are unwarranted, unwanted and only bound to attract the sort of response you got.

I've never been a fan of MCN either but you seem to know more about what's in there than I do. last time i read it, every letter was about tyre combinations and which ones are recommended for what bike. that was down to them getting weird wobbles at whatever speed. the fact they were riding jap bikes which notoriously had at least one hinge in the chassis didn't enter into it. yes it was about 1980ish.

just out of curiosity i will stand in the supermarket while the mrs is shopping and read the article. maybe in full if it proves to be something i didn't already know or suspect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 20:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

covmike wrote:
adam.L wrote:

come on now, you have to admit that if you read your first post above, it looks like some farmer has dropped in to stir up sh1t. all the things you mention are concerns for all of us. yes we do get discriminatory laws passed against us and sometimes it's down to a minority of bikers feeling agrieved someone pulled out in front of them. the fact they were doing 80 in a 30 is beside the point :shock: what those fellas were doing between those roundabnouts has been going on since bikes were invented. lighten up a bit, you wre young once. I grew up in rural somerset and know all about bad road conditions and how to handle them, doing it every day is bit different to doing once a month. back then there was nothing we could do about it. now we can. we are part of the transport system and for far too long we've been ignored. just because you've got a bee in your wig about a couple of blokes, doesn't mean we're all like that, so your remarks are unwarranted, unwanted and only bound to attract the sort of response you got.

I've never been a fan of MCN either but you seem to know more about what's in there than I do. last time i read it, every letter was about tyre combinations and which ones are recommended for what bike. that was down to them getting weird wobbles at whatever speed. the fact they were riding jap bikes which notoriously had at least one hinge in the chassis didn't enter into it. yes it was about 1980ish.

just out of curiosity i will stand in the supermarket while the mrs is shopping and read the article. maybe in full if it proves to be something i didn't already know or suspect.

Those fellas doing circuits on sunday, were I'm guessing, older than me.

When ever I have read, sorry flicked through, MCN it always has some article saying how some evil civil servant/police man/ brunstrom/ evironmentalist has got it in for motorcyles. But they have an agenda with all road transport. I dont really have a bee in my bonnet about those two divots doing roundabout circuit or the land speed record attemptees on the A12. The point is, if they want to ride like that don't be too supprised when PC Gatso appears or nobody gives a hoot about diesel spills.

Look at the "advanced" riding advice giver in Bike magazine. I have relitively limited experience on two wheels, and he had Rospa gold and some observing thingumy, oh and loads of iron mungery in his legs after inspecting the scenery shortly after getting more certificates. Now I bet that bloody hurts like buggery and I bet he feels a complete prat, but how about practising what you preach Mr Weir?

As most motorcyclists leave their mount unaided, would it not be better to concertrate on helping them, me include, read road conditions better. I have had a diesel momment in my car which could have been an off on my bike, but I tend to be a little more aware or slippyness on the bike than in the car, because my survival instincts sharpen a smidge.

Just so you know, there isn't even any diesel spilt near the pump at work, nevermind on the road. Not many people like us agricultural types anyway and we do try to address that by doing the job properly and not upsetting people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 21:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Covmike - name suggest you from Cov - if so -have look (very carefully) at first roundabout from M6,J2, (just past Tesco ,wot used to be Big W) on way to Asda--would suggest care on that one - had a van slide on me,and not throwing it about ,only suggestion diesel spil from high volume of HGV going into industrial estate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 21:17 
User

I know it well, I used to work at Alvis which was just off that roundabout. It seems a lot worse now though. I think the camber needs sorting too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 20:38 

In case anyone is interested, the story was about drivers purging their fuel filters and dropping water contaminated with diesel on the roads, particularly at junctions.

The story was that a light comes on and the driver, like one of pavlov's dogs, immediately presses a button and deposits the contents of their fuel filter on the road. Perhaps one of our resident truck drivers could comment? They did say that not all trucks do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 20:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

MrsMiggins wrote:
In case anyone is interested, the story was about drivers purging their fuel filters and dropping water contaminated with diesel on the roads, particularly at junctions.

The story was that a light comes on and the driver, like one of pavlov's dogs, immediately presses a button and deposits the contents of their fuel filter on the road. Perhaps one of our resident truck drivers could comment? They did say that not all trucks do this.

When ever I've had the misfortune of having to fiddle with fuel filters, it's because the engine has stopped. It involves a 10mm spanner and sometimes a filter wrench. I'm not sure what the procedure is for the common rail engines, but I understand they are a bitch to bleed.

You'd change filters in the workshop when the engine is being serviced not on a whim as you're driving along. The stuff stinks so you'd try and limp home.