Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 03:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Justice For Emma!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 21:38 
User

I have a soft spot as you know for Emma Davies Jones... a woman of great courage and spark. Perhaps a kindred spirit to Wildy :neko: in terms of the "fight back" :) In looks - she resembles my sister-in-law.. the feisty and defiant Krissi :o :o if her hair was longer! :wink: )

One of the reasons why I like and admire this girl - and her cycling skills - dertermination to win by fair and square competing - a true example of the type of person to aspire to.

As you know - I was devastated to read she had been injured by a hit and runner whilst training last year. It nearly ruined her life and her career and our nation of a real Olympic medal hope in each session to come. As it was the potential Golden girl pre-accident battled back to win a bronze..:bow: :clap:

The driver was astoundingly no drug crazed yob.. but a 47 year train service manager who thought the "impact was his car going over one of the many manholes on the road"

Emma gave her evidence against.. and he was found guilty of failing to stop, failing to report, and undue care and attention.

The Distirct Judge Diane Baker told the accused

Quote:

Emma is a professional cyclist and an elite athlete. Your story is utter nonsense! :shock: I believe you did not stop even yough you were aware of the accident!

The driver was on his way to work when he collided with Emma = He turned left as Emma was alongside him.

She told the court how she was screaming in sheer agony to make him aware of her. But each movement gave her a really sharp pain. Had the passer-by not ordered her to keep absolutely still - we would have lost a real talent for this sport.

A taxi driver chased this driver .. trying to get the reg number and alert him about the incident.

The driver claimed he knew nothing until he phoned home and his wife told him the police wanted to speak to him about almost killing an Olympic athlete.

He claimed he was devasted and did not know how it happened as

Quote:

he was unaware that he had hit someone

:? :? :?

Not being picky but I know when I drove over a mouse or a rabbit and I hit a fox last week ... but whilst I regret the demise of the rodents - I cannot drum up the same for the fox given the death of some local chickens and a pal's kids' guinea pigs.. :(

To his credit .. he gave himself up to the police the next day .. and was arrested and charged.

His lawyer said his client accepted he hit Emma - but had genuinely not been aware of it at the time :? and the collision was a "coincindence of circumstances"

Eh? Now .. I am on record as posting that some accidents are indeed the effects of Kismet.. Fate.. Chance.. Lady Unlucky Co-incidence .. but this ain't one of 'em.

The girl was riding a bike. She's not the lentilista muppet type.. but a PRO and she's be in primary position and in HIGH VIZ!

He overtook and basically cut in front of her.
:furious: :banghead:

The kind of f:censored:t that the lycra louts love .. as it gives them an excuse to jump on scamerati bandwagon and hairbrained "pay as you go" schemes :banghead:

But.. although found guilty .. jail is ruled out. So .. he will get a hefty fine and either a ban or points next Wednesday.

Emma is just delighted he was found guilty - the stigma of that is enough for her !

Yep.. a fine woman.

I really hope she wins a Gold for cycling. She already has a Gold in "balanced and fair attitude" :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 00:34 
User

How on earth does a driver manage to turn left into a cyclist in primary position :S?

There isn't any justice any more :(.

I wish her the best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 01:40 
Police Officer
Police Officer

In my humble opinion what a load of bollo**s he knew at the outset ad hit her, but was probably pissed or was unsure if he would have been over the limit at the time in question. So,he left it until the next morning to report / hand himself in that way he knew 100% in the clear.
Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 02:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

nicycle wrote:
How on earth does a driver manage to turn left into a cyclist in primary position :S?

you have to wonder, don't you?

No doubt the idiots presume that you're travelling at walking pace, think that they're in a magic car that doesn't need to slow down for corners and that once they can no longer see you, presuming they've seen you at all, that you've magically disappeared. It's quite staggering just how many people do this... but not to worry, the main culprits aren't "speeders" so they're obviously perfectly safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 00:55 
User

I've had exactly this happen to me, many years ago. The car that hit me had a false registration, I know because I memorised it as it drove off. The police weren't interested - really they were not interested "Sorry but the registration isn't on our system, nothing we can do...."

I think they'd have been more interested had I died....

Just a few bruises for me and a bent front brake lever, fortunately.