Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 08:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 15:31 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
I can see your point Robin, but I'm saying that I can see all I need to be able to see by turning my head.

That hint of motion that turned out to be a car trying to overtake me? By looking behind me, I've seen it there in my lane and have judged its speed as a possible conflict before committing to the menoeuvre. Besides which, I don't stop looking behind as I start the move, I'm looking everywhere as I'm changing lanes to make sure nothing unexpected happens.

Spot on.

Also: That's great, and responsible of you Robin. But what works for you doesn't necessarily for others. like I said earlier, in 30 years on the road I have never had an incident or even a near miss which was directly attributable to the lack of mirrors.

The use of speed cameras (oops how un pc of me. safey cameras) and many other measures coming our way, common sense is being removed from the motorist because thinking is hard for what seems the majority of road users. Sat-nav is next, it's been used in Venice for many years to track and record the speed of gondolas and/or taxi boats. exceed the 4mph speed limit and your nicked. We're all getting very cushy with sat-nav systems but it wont be long before we must have them so road charges can be levied and your location recorded in case a criminal investigation needs to know where you were.

since 1983 ish, all bikes must have an offside mirror fitted because some were performing manouvres without checking. so they removed the common sense factor and gave us no reason to be lazy. Compulsory indicators came in about the same time but there are still a lot of drivers that believe we should all know where they're going because they go that way every day. None of my bikes has indicators either.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 15:42 
User

I have ridden bikes with no mirrors and have also had no problems/crashes because of the lack of mirrors. However, being one of the plastic rocket bregade I find that the amount of body movement afforded does not provide 360 degree vision thus requiring the use of mirrors. When riding a bike which provides a more upright posture (sit up and beg), such as your bikes sixty, it is possible to get a 360 degree view and thus mirrors are less of a requirement.

I find that my mirrors allow me to keep an eye on what is approaching me from behind, especially when it is approaching at a surprisingly fast speed, and I never rely on them to provide me with a full picture of what's behind. I always will have a check over my shoulder before planning any move and just before I execute the move.

Before anyone launches into a tirade accusing me of being a weekend poser, my R1 has over 60k miles on it and I use it for work in all but the worst weather. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 15:53 
User

R1Nut wrote:
Before anyone launches into a tirade accusing me of being a weekend poser, my R1 has over 60k miles on it and I use it for work in all but the worst weather. :roll:

Which in my book means you're not one of the 'plastic missile bregade' :wink:

Neither of my bikes are cruisers, whatever gave you that impression? The GPZ has standard bars but with the seat lowered about 6" and the XS is an ex drag bike...

Like covmike rightly said, each to their own. It does take a little getting used to riding without mirrors I will admit.

Incidentally, on the point of indicators (which were introduced as mandetory in 1986 BTW), even on bikes new enough to require them, like my GPZ, I still give hand signals. They don't get missed or ignored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 15:58 
User

Quote:
on the point of indicators (which were introduced as mandetory in 1986 BTW)

Ta for that. a lot of mandy tories came in around the early 80's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 16:05 
User

If memory serves (at least these are the ones that matter to me)

BS stamping on exhausts was '83
Indicators was '86
Front brake light switch was '86.

Man I love having a '79 registered bike! :D

(BTW, mirrors are an optional fitment)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 16:12 
User

Quote:
Man I love having a '79 registered bike!

You'll love the one concerning exhaust noise then. Pre 1981, the sound level is discretionary. up to the mot man or copper that pulls you over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 16:15 
User

covmike wrote:
Quote:
Man I love having a '79 registered bike!

You'll love the one concerning exhaust noise then. Pre 1981, the sound level is discretionary. up to the mot man or copper that pulls you over.

:yesyes: :bighand:

Imagine the sound of a big harley with a 180deg crank..... :D

And the 1st time I MOT'd her we managed to scare the tester into not even starting her... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 14:22 

covmike wrote:
or copper that pulls you over.
What's one of them then? :roll:

I know exactly how much rear view my mirrors on my bike give me and know how far I have to look over my shoulder(s) when performing a manouevre... Suppose I'm used to it now...

On my blackbird (which has fairly poor rear view) I've even fitted one of those 'blind-spot mirrors' which I find very useful.