Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 02:52 

I have had an idea about a new traffic signalling device which could be used instead of regular traffic lights.

If we remove all traffic lights then it has been pointed out that there may be places where one road always takes priority over another. This device should be able to solve that while being as un-controlling as possible. ;)

It is based on something I saw in Spain. I don't know how the one in Spain was meant to work, but it may be the same as mine.

It would have three lights. From top to bottom it would be:
- Red.
- Amber.
- Amber.

Phases and their meanings:

- Centre amber: stop unless unsafe.
- Red. Stop.
- Bottom and middle amber lights flashing alternately: you are allowed to go, but you do not have priority. (same meaning as if the lights weren't there)

The last phase could be replaced with only a flashing bottom amber in order to use less power, but that may already have other (similar but not the same) meanings around the world.

Normally all sides would get the flashing ambers. If one side started to dominate the traffic flow then that side could get a red light for a little while to allow the other sides to get through.

It would be possible to detect traffic flow using sensors before the junction, and at the stop line so you can tell when traffic approaches and when it gets into the junction. (would be nice if these detected bikes :lol: )
It must, of course, be assumed that these sensors can and will fail, and they should be monitored and logged so that any unusual pattern can have the sensors checked out.

It might also be useful if there were small lights on the back of each signal head, so you can see when the other traffic has a red light.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 15:16 
Life Member
Life Member

I've long though traffic lights should have off-peak and night modes where appropiate to say "give way/proceed with caution".

Sitting at traffic lights on deserted roads does my head in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 04:28 
User

Check-out: www.railcam.nl and select "camera 1"...

I've noticed recently that the Dutch seem to have adopted the flashing Amber during quiet periods........any further info anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 20:23 
Life Member
Life Member

Draco wrote:
I've noticed recently that the Dutch seem to have adopted the flashing Amber during quiet periods........any further info anyone?

Other countries in Europe too - it just means "Proceed with care." It doesn't imply priority one way or the other, there may be other signs or road markings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 23:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Of course we could (with the current Gov't big bro attitude ) resort to the rail idea - install devices in cars that stop them if they pass a red light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 04:31 
User

You could do this just by adapting existing lights.

Flashing amber - go if the junction is clear. People will hopefully adapt to this fairly easilly as the system is already used for pedestrian crossings, though doubtless you'll still get the muppets who think flashing amber means stop (and give you hand signals at the next set of lights if you dare overtake them!)

Late at night you could just switch the things off altogether if you wanted no road to have priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 02:04 
User

They actually do this exact thing in the US. At night many intersections just show a flashing red-light, which means "Proceed with caution".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 22:07 
User

ianc wrote:
They actually do this exact thing in the US. At night many intersections just show a flashing red-light, which means "Proceed with caution".

I've seen flashing amber/red lights in foreign countries, and they serve a good purpose; the traffic lights are only used when they would aid traffic flow. We used to do this over here, that is, only use them when needed, but in the late-1990s virtually all the part-time signals in England went full-time, and traffic became held up when it didn't before, and energy consumption went up too.

Post subject: Amerikan traffic lights
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 08:01 
User

Steady Red: Wait for a Green Light or Arrow
Steady Yellow: Steady Red is coming. You should probably stop, unless you don't want to. (If there is a redlight camera, you're skrood unless you have excellent timing).
Steady Green: Go ahead, but traffic going straight has the right of way if you are making a left.

Flashing Red = Stop Sign
Flashing Yellow = Yield Sign

Depending on the sensibilites of the county / township in question, during way-off peak hours in residential neighborhoods - when the majority are asleep - and non-overnightlife business districts (discoteques, bars / pubs, gentleman's clubs, lounges, etc.), traffic lights will Flash Yellow for the primary road, and Flash Red for the 2ndary road.

I don't understand why the boroughs surrounding Manhattan barely use flashing signals in the wee hours. The penalty for running / rolling a Stop Sign is the same for treating a Steady Red like a Stop Sign. No one profits by making cars stop and idle for as much as four minutes needlessly. (Is this the real reason why hybrids have that engine stop/start feature? Maybe less Steady Reds and more Flashing Reds / Yellows really are also a more cost effective way to hug more trees?)

2) Nothing gets hit, except to protect others; see Rule#1
3) The Laws of Physics are invincible and immutable - so-called 'laws' of men are not
4) You are always immediately and ultimately responsible for your safety first, then proximately responsible for everyone's
Do not let other road users' mistakes become yours, nor yours become others
5) The rest, including laws of the land, is thoughtful observation, prescience, etiquette, decorum, and cooperation