Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Photochromic visors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 19:48 
New User
New User

Hello to all. I was curious as to how big of a demand there might be to "legal" photochromic visors for daytime use there in the U.K.

Essentially, having a visor that tints (allowing only 30% light transmittance) in daytime bright light, and then goes almost totally clear in cloudy or rainy conditions or at night (89% light transmittance during these times). Takes roughly 60-90 seconds to transition from completely clear to completely dark, and vice versa.

We are talking with the BMF, have already discussed this with the Dept of Transport and are working through the BSI now.

Is this something that you guys want? I have not really looked around at other U.K. websites to pose this question, and if you feel that this is spam, please feel free to delete. I'm just looking to get an idea of the concept of photochromic visors from those that live in the U.K. Thank you.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 21:18 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

Came across your products through Bikers Oracle, I really like them. I tried to find a dealer near Salt Lake City when I was over there last week but couldn't track one down.

If you can get them authorised for over here I'll be one of your first customers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 22:17 

Patch wrote:
If you can get them authorised for over here I'll be one of your first customers

How about these.

http://www.sounddistribution.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=72

Post subject: Re: Photochromic visors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 22:37 
Site Admin

:welcome:

akumahelmets wrote:
Is this something that you guys want? I have not really looked around at other U.K. websites to pose this question, and if you feel that this is spam, please feel free to delete. I'm just looking to get an idea of the concept of photochromic visors from those that live in the U.K. Thank you.

This definitely isn't spam... more of a public service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:01 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

Gizmo wrote:
Patch wrote:

How about these.

http://www.sounddistribution.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=72

I use Fog City inserts already, I was actually referring to the Akuma helmets as well as the photocromatic visors. Akuma lids have LED's inserted in them, red facingh the rear and white forwards which I think is a great idea, as well as that their designs are sweet, I especially like the "Ghost"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:53 

Nice.

I may be tempted to get one myself next time I am in the US. I like unusual stuff like that. I would expect that as soon as it gets a CE mark on it it will be twice the price of the DOT version, all for the sake of a sticker.

I would run the risk of a jobsworth picking me up for not having the right stickers on my lid. I have already got a DOT approved German helmet I use form time to time. Its a pity you can't get Half Shell helmets this side of the pond.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 14:25 
User

akumahelmets wrote:
Takes roughly 60-90 seconds to transition from completely clear to completely dark, and vice versa.

My concern with that is rapidly changing light situations where the visor can't cope such as driving into the sun (visor dark) and entering a tunnel (visor clear). I'm sure that if you entered the Dartford Tunnel in bright sunshine the visor wouldn't be able to clear before you exited.

The worst scenario is when you have a clear visor in dark conditions and turn a corner/pass over the summit of a hill and end up looking directly at a low sun.

I would prefer a system whereby a visor could be changed from clear to dark with the touch of a switch similar to the opaque/clear windows that are available. If anyone could invent one of those then I'd buy them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 15:58 
New User
New User

To answer some of your concerns with regards to photochromic visors (ours at least):

1. The visor tints depending on the amount of UV light it receives. So, if the sun is going down (more of that red colour) and you are in a dark section behind a mountain say and then you turn into the sun, the visor will not tint immediately, nor will it tint very much, because less UV light is hitting it than in the middle of the day when the sun is overhead. Think of our visor like your skin. How many of you can get a sunburn when the sun is setting? Tinting the visor is completely dependant upon UV light.

2. Going from bright sunlight into a tunnel. True, the visor will remain dark when you first enter a tunnel, but is this any different than if you were wearing a dark tinted visor, wearing sunglasses under a clear visor or had a tinted insert? You are still dealing with the same situation. However, the visor will clear pretty quickly.

3. Electro-chromic visors. "Tint-on-demand" in other words. More expensive than photochromic, quite a bit actually, but that's not to say we won't see it in a couple of years. There are several issues with this technology that need to be resolved first.

4. Costs. The visor will have BSI certification and should therefore meet CE approval, kitemarked for the UK (E-11 stamp) and will not increase in cost. We are working to get a very large distributor in the U.K. to carry our helmets and visors. Also, our helmets already meet both ECE 22.05 and DOT standards. We chose ECE over Snell or BSI helmet certification, because every Euro country and every racing organization in the world accept this rating over any other!

5. Our visors will carry a 1 year warranty. No other company will give you this. You will have a very nice coating of Anti-fog and anti-abrasion, plus the photochromic process. If any of this fails within 1 year, you will get a free visor to replace it.

I hope to have our helmets and visors in the U.K. soon. PLease feel free to contact our company via e-mail of phone, or me here on this site, if you have any other questions. Cheers.

P.S. I'm a former BEMSEE Yamaha Past Masters racer (raced a TZR250 in 2004). I never rode on the streets of England though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 16:08 
New User
New User

Patch wrote:

I use Fog City inserts already, I was actually referring to the Akuma helmets as well as the photocromatic visors. Akuma lids have LED's inserted in them, red facingh the rear and white forwards which I think is a great idea, as well as that their designs are sweet, I especially like the "Ghost"

Thank you for the kind words Patch. Our CEO is a former US Navy pilot, and we modeled this helmet after the Jolly Roger F-14 squadron. We didn't want this to have a big United States feel to it though, which is why you don't see U.S. Navy on it. Most countries have a Navy, so this can apply to any country. Only thing on there that tells you this came from the U.S. is the star and two bars. Who's to say that a nice Union Jack decal can't fit over that though, yeah? Or a German, Spanish, Italian, or any flag?

And yes, the LED lights are a big hit. We have cops here in the U.S. stopping guys just so they can look at the helmet. No tickets have been issued, the cops just like to see how the helmets work.
The white "map" light has come in handy for a number of people too. Guys riding at night have used it to look at maps, fill their tires with air, even fix minor problems with their bikes. Other guys use it when they enter their garage at night to get to their bikes. Seems to be a very useful tool.
The LED lights in the back have also helped cars and trucks see them a lot easier from behind at night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 16:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hopefully the 'very large UK distributor' will not simply take your price list and replace the $ with a £, as so many are keen to do, as I would quite like to try one of these!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:22 
New User
New User

I had to tighten up one of my sun visors as it had come loose and the screws were almost falling out... now the passenger side is making a nasty rattle but the screws are not loose... anyone else had these rattle....? :tumbleweed:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:33 
User

I'd be interested to try a photochromic visor. It would certainly save the hassle of carrying a clear one for night riding.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 08:41 
Supporter
Supporter

DoktorMandrake wrote:
I'd be interested to try a photochromic visor. It would certainly save the hassle of carrying a clear one for night riding.

MY experience with Zeiss photochromic lenses in my prescription spectacles is that they never clear completely. Indeed the specification is that they vary from 10% to 90% transmission. Whist 10% loss is not much it is enough to make me have separate clear lensed spectacles for night driving.

Also you should remember that a photochromic lens is a balance between uv darkening and thermal clearing. Because photochromic compounds fade back to their clear state by a thermal process, the higher the temperature, the less dark photochromic lenses will be. This thermal effect is called "temperature dependency" and prevents these devices from achieving true sunglass darkness in very hot weather. Conversely, photochromic lenses will get very dark in cold weather conditions, Excellent for alpine mountaineering or skiing; less suitable for a Mediterranean beach.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 14:16 
User

Interesting DCB. I may just have to stick to my dark tint and remembering to carry a clear visor. 10% may not be much in a car, but in the dark on a bike, with inferior headlights, it could make a lot of difference. Still I would be interested to try one out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 19:58 
Supporter
Supporter

DoktorMandrake wrote:
Interesting DCB. I may just have to stick to my dark tint and remembering to carry a clear visor. 10% may not be much in a car, but in the dark on a bike, with inferior headlights, it could make a lot of difference. Still I would be interested to try one out.

To put it in perspective: in photographic terms 10% is 1/3 of a stop. Not huge but I want every advantage when riding at night.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 20:48 
User

Me too. Bike lights (and my bike is by no means ancient. It's only a few years old) are crap. The only bike with decent lights I ever had was the original R6. Which I only ever touched high beam if I wanted to alert alien space craft to my position or search for escaped convicts. I could ride all night on dip with plentiful illumination. The 10% could be the difference between seeing that dead badger/brick/rock in the road or not. So, unless these visors went as clear as the normal ones at night then I wouldn't risk it. Not bad for day/dusk use though.