Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

How would you negotiate this roundabout if going straight on?
Poll ended at Tue Mar 06, 2007 04:42
Stay to the left through roundabout, signal left when exiting 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Stay to the left through roundabout, signal left when exiting 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Stay to the right through roundabout, signal left when exiting 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Stay to the right through roundabout, signal left when exiting 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Stay towards the left through roundabout, but signalling right to show you're going round the roundabout, then signalling left when exiting 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Stay towards the left through roundabout, but signalling right to show you're going round the roundabout, then signalling left when exiting 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Stay towards the right through roundabout, but signalling right to show you're going round the roundabout, then signalling left when exiting 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Stay towards the right through roundabout, but signalling right to show you're going round the roundabout, then signalling left when exiting 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Other - please state in post 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Other - please state in post 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 24
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 04:42 

Here is a Google Earth picture of a roundabout at Woodley in Berkshire. I sometimes have to drive through this roundabout, passing from North to South. In other words, I am going straight on. As at any other roundabout, I have been in the habit of using the left lane to do this, signalling left when exiting. I'm personally not one of those people who signals right "to show that I'm going round a roundabout" if going straight on.

However, as you can see, this roundabout is not round, and this seems to be the source of some confusion. I'm quite willing to accept that I'm wrong, if it comes to it, but I thought I'd put the question to you learned gentlemen first.

Notice that there are no arrows painted on the road, and there are no signs to suggest which side you should be on if going straight ahead. Obviously if turning right you would be on the right, or on the left if turning left...

The poll is to run for 10 days.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 04:54 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I ticked "other" because, as with all roundabouts, I would "control" it. If there were no traffic I'd take the racing line. If there were traffic waiting to emerge from the first exit/entrance that I needed to pass I'd get over to the right to let them know that I was going past them (and chink left as soon as I'm past it). If there were traffic on the roundabout at the crown of the road, I'd likely take the left lane, but remain staggered behind a car rather than alongside it in case it came across at the exit I was taking...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 06:14 
Site Admin

Roger wrote:
I ticked "other" because, as with all roundabouts, I would "control" it. If there were no traffic I'd take the racing line. If there were traffic waiting to emerge from the first exit/entrance that I needed to pass I'd get over to the right to let them know that I was going past them (and chink left as soon as I'm past it). If there were traffic on the roundabout at the crown of the road, I'd likely take the left lane, but remain staggered behind a car rather than alongside it in case it came across at the exit I was taking...

Perfect answer, I reckon! Same here. :yesyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 08:42 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

What is the balance of traffic taking the first exit as opposed to the second? If a high proportion is taking the first exit, it might make sense to use the right-hand lane for the second. Also, although there are no lines on the roundabout, the layout looks as though there is in effect a lane drop at the first exit, so if you were in the left hand lane of the roundabout, and there was traffic in the right hand lane too, you would have to find a gap to continue to the second exit.

As with many of these cases, it often makes sense to follow what the locals do even if it is not quite "by the book".

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 09:55 
User

I voted "other" because although I 'd keep to the left, whether I'd use my right indicator on the approach to the first exit would depend on whether there was traffic waiting to join from there that might assume I intended taking that exit. I'd indicate left as soon as I'd passed the first exit provided there was traffic to tell (i.e. traffic following me around the roundabout or traffic waiting to join from the road I was taking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 09:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'd follow the normal rule, any exit up to and including '12 o'clock', left lane and signal for exit, after 12, right lane with signal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:03 
Life Member
Life Member

Stay to the left through roundabout, signal left when exiting A. ONLY IN VERY HEAVY QUEUING TRAFFIC.

Stay to the right through roundabout, signal left when exiting
[ 1 ] NORMAL LIGHT TRAFFIC
Stay towards the left through roundabout, but signalling right to show you're going round the roundabout, then signalling left when exiting
POSSIBLY IN HEAVY TRAFFIC
Stay towards the right through roundabout, but signalling right to show you're going round the roundabout, then signalling left when exiting NO

Other - please state in post RACING LINE WHEN EMPTY

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:46 
Life Member
Life Member

Oscar wrote:
I'd follow the normal rule, any exit up to and including '12 o'clock', left lane and signal for exit, after 12, right lane with signal.

Quite. How the sign has been laid out determines which side of twelve o'clock too.

And please not option 3! That's what OAPs do. How can it EVER be right to indicate right while using the left hand lane?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:42 
User

Oscar wrote:

Has it changed and, if so, when did it change? The rule when I passed my test (and that I still use) is that unless otherwise signed it's left lane for the first exit, left or right for the second exit, and right lane for the third exit and beyond irrespective of what o'clock are those exits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:57 

Aha, just as I thought - several different answers already, and that's probably where the confusion arises on this piece of road. By the way, I am not voting in this poll myself.
Quote:
If there were traffic waiting to emerge from the first exit/entrance that I needed to pass I'd get over to the right to let them know that I was going past them
Hmmm, yes - of course this isn't necessary at a "conventional" roundabout that's round.
Quote:
What is the balance of traffic taking the first exit as opposed to the second? If a high proportion is taking the first exit, it might make sense to use the right-hand lane for the second.

Now we're getting to it! The left exit leads down to the motorways - the A329M which forms a direct route to Bracknell/M3 etc., and crosses the M4 at J10. The right turn leads to Woodley Centre and all the shops. At a guess I'd say that the least used exit would be straight on, which passes through a residential area. In the morning peak, most traffic would be turning left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 13:33 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Quote:
And please not option 3! That's what OAPs do. How can it EVER be right to indicate right while using the left hand lane?

:oops: If I am going to pass an exit with traffic waiting to emerge, I will almost invariably be blinking right. This is an unambiguous signal confirming I will not be going off at the next junction. I will signal left as soon as I am clearly committed to go past that exit to alert anyone else that I'm off at the next one. I am not an OAP yet, either :lol:

Quote:
Quote:

If there were traffic waiting to emerge from the first exit/entrance that I needed to pass I'd get over to the right to let them know that I was going past them

Hmmm, yes - of course this isn't necessary at a "conventional" roundabout that's round.

I was referring to the picture as I composed my reply. However, I guess the principles apply to the conventional roundabout with snowdrops and crocusses in the middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 20:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

willcove wrote:
Oscar wrote:

Has it changed and, if so, when did it change? The rule when I passed my test (and that I still use) is that unless otherwise signed it's left lane for the first exit, left or right for the second exit, and right lane for the third exit and beyond irrespective of what o'clock are those exits.

No wonder there's such confusion! If my befuddled brain hasn't failed me, I've been taught it since the '50's, and I THINK it's in Roadcraft. (The exceptions are where there are directional arrows on the road or road signs.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 21:12 
User

Oscar wrote:
willcove wrote:
Oscar wrote:

No wonder there's such confusion! If my befuddled brain hasn't failed me, I've been taught it since the '50's, and I THINK it's in Roadcraft. (The exceptions are where there are directional arrows on the road or road signs.)

I've just done some research and the only references to clock positions were from Australia. Almost every UK reference had something like "Straight on (or second exit), approach in the left lane" - but they all skipped the clock face issue by only showing roundabouts with approaches/exits in the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions. Logically, the clock-face rule is flawed if you think about the situation where the first exit is past, or the last exit is before, 12 o'clock - and I've met both scenarios.

However, people do it both ways and the safest thing is to anticipate that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 21:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ticked "other " as per SS and Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:07 

Other.

A combination of 1 and 2 depending on traffic.

Certainly no indicating right.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 13:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

DieselMoment wrote:
I am going straight on.

is that "straight on" to the visible exit at the bottom right of the picture or "straight on" to the exit in the bottom middle that's hidden by trees?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 16:36 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
(The exceptions are where there are directional arrows on the road or road signs.)

These are a very good idea on a roundabout as ambiguous as this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 17:17 
User

Johnnytheboy wrote:
Quote:
(The exceptions are where there are directional arrows on the road or road signs.)

These are a very good idea on a roundabout as ambiguous as this.

Is it just me that has problems with directional arrows painted on the road? If you know the area, you'll know which lane is conventionally taken for which exit and so the white paint is superfluous. If you don't, the white paint is near useless in heavy traffic because it's obscured from your view until after you've committed yourself to whichever lane your instinct told you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 17:29 
Site Admin

I don't understand most of the replies in this thread.

Don't you folks do 'dynamic space management'?

I'll use whatever position gives:

- most distance from other vehicles (or, in a more general sense, distance from danger)
- demonstration of intention to other road users (when beneficial)
- best vision
- lowest demands on grip

... in that order of priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 17:50 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Dynamic space management and dynamic speed management together make for trouble-free progress, however non-conformist to the advisory white line markings.

It seems that dynamic speed management is pretty much second nature to most who arrive here (either on arrival or a few persuasions afterwards), but not space management. How very strange.