Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 17:50 
New User
New User

The maintenance of traditional catseyes is abysmal on many roads. These are a vital safety feature particularly on A roads and minor roads, particularly on very dark, rainy nights. There has been a move to put cheaper reflectors in but they are not as robust as the original "catseyes". They soon get knocked off the road. Back in the 60`s I seem to recall an experiment with a reflective paint for the white lines and they shone out for miles. What happened to that?

In the 70`s, I seem to recall a trial where items resembling upturned cricket bats were attached to the top of the central crash barrier on a section of the M6. These were brilliant for cutting out glare from oncoming traffic. making it much safer and more relaxing to drive. One could also use main beams if there was no traffic in front. What happened to these? As we are exhorted to recycle plastic, these would be an excellent end product. Another advantage of these would be to reduce the rubber-knecking at any incident on the other carriageway.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 20:11 
User

Rowland wrote:
The maintenance of traditional catseyes is abysmal on many roads. These are a vital safety feature particularly on A roads and minor roads, particularly on very dark, rainy nights. There has been a move to put cheaper reflectors in but they are not as robust as the original "catseyes". They soon get knocked off the road. Back in the 60`s I seem to recall an experiment with a reflective paint for the white lines and they shone out for miles. What happened to that?

In the 70`s, I seem to recall a trial where items resembling upturned cricket bats were attached to the top of the central crash barrier on a section of the M6. These were brilliant for cutting out glare from oncoming traffic. making it much safer and more relaxing to drive. One could also use main beams if there was no traffic in front. What happened to these? As we are exhorted to recycle plastic, these would be an excellent end product. Another advantage of these would be to reduce the rubber-knecking at any incident on the other carriageway.

All modern road markings have tiny glass beads in them (ballontini) that aid the reflectivity of the lines, although dirt and general wear reduces this over time. I know a company trialled a ridged marking so that some of the line was above any standing water etc.

And i know of the anti dazzle things, they have them just outside Edinburgh on the A90 north of Craigiehall - which I think was another trial site. - pity they don't seem to be maintained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 23:02 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Many rural roads have been downgraded in maintenance terms by local highway authorities and have lost their catseyes.

I agree properly maintained catseyes are a very useful safety aid in the dark.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:54 
User

PeterE wrote:
Many rural roads have been downgraded in maintenance terms by local highway authorities and have lost their catseyes.

I agree properly maintained catseyes are a very useful safety aid in the dark.

Some in Hampshire are covered by loose chippings during surfacing and never renewed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 22:38 
User

Antidazzle baffles on the A1 peage (Calais to Paris) in France.
Note concrete divide/barrier, and dashed distance separator marks on the right margin - TWO dashes equals the two second rule at normal speeds - like our chevrons, but located where they dont get worn out and cannot be missinterpreted like ours!

ALL white lines in France are scrupulously maintained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 09:15 
User

Location: Swindon, the home of the Magic Roundabout and no traffic planning
Ernest Marsh wrote:
ALL white lines in France are scrupulously maintained.

Maybe thats because they are an essential safety item and therefore maintained by the French. In this country, however, its all the fault of speeding drivers and nothing to do with abysmal road surfaces/design/maintenance/lining so why spend any money on it to save lives.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 18:29 
User

Yellow no parking lines put down in Windermere in February are already coming off and there are black gaps.

At the A591 junction they are nearly invisible.
Some were put down on blind bends where nobody would park, and one set cross the entrance to Lakeland Limited :shock:

In Kirkby Stephen there is an invisible mini roundabout - the layout is there, but the white circle has gone.
Near the Police station in Kendal, at the junction of Burneside road, the white line where you should wait for the traffic lights is invisible when wet, and nearly so when dry! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 01:59 
User

This lane leads from the A591 past Lakeland Limited's headquarters and onto a housing estate.
Lakeland have an extensive car park, but at busy times staff park outside - same staff everyday - and all use good sense and park with only small gaps, maximising use of space.
In early February, contractors turned up and began to put down yellow lines - causing widespread disruption. In 15 years of using this lane, NOBODY has ever parked on this stretch!
however the line is already no longer legally enforcible only a few weeks after it was put down.
It looks to me like it never adhered to the road surface!!
And why they decided to line across Lakeland's car park entrance is just beyond me!

This route is my way to work - and in Winter, Lakeland pay to have it gritted properly, maintain the fences and plants impeccably. They also ensure that their car park is properly marked out, and maintained - perhaps the Council should have sought their advice on who to get to lay down the lines!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 13:00 

That's your money they're wasting on those pointless lines. Also if you're causing an obstruction then it's already illegal to park there. No lines needed. 100% waste.
Does your council have DPE by any chance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 19:13 
New User
New User

Is it a trick of the camera angle, or does the lines in the first photograph swap over?

(dodgy ascii art alert)
Code:
_____  _____
     \
_____ \_____

(actually on second look, it appears that where this happens is where the close ups are... oh well)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 22:49 
User

MattG wrote:
Is it a trick of the camera angle, or does the lines in the first photograph swap over?

(dodgy ascii art alert)
Code:
_____  _____
     \
_____ \_____

(actually on second look, it appears that where this happens is where the close ups are... oh well)

Actually, it's a drain cover - the lines dip down, cross the grill, then appear over to the right on the far side! :lol:
The close up is adjacent to the Galaxy, on the left side - but the lines are broken on BOTH sides of the road, and to a lesser extent in several other places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:01 
User

As I write this I am seething with rage at the crass stupidity!! :x

As you might recall from above, these lines were put down in February THIS year (2007) in a pointless exercise - I suspect to use up money in a budget somewhere.
Further down, this lane leads on to a housing estate on Claife Avenue - a late 1950's design with grassed cul-de-sacs off the main roadway - meaning parking was never planned for, so is in short supply.
Many householders have given up their gardens at the front to make parking places, and where they did, the same yellow lines were put down, further restricting residents parking.

WELL! This week, trying to get to work, I found my way blocked by contractors vehicles - who were scratching off the yellow lines they put down in FEBRUARY.... prior to top dressing the tarmac, and covering all traces of the lines... except where they are painted over drain covers, and speed humps!! :shock:

What an absolute WASTE of money! Thirty three weeks of yellow lines at what cost!!
As for the top dressing, that will be a waste too, and there are far more needy sites where it could have been done.

WHAT is the world coming to! :x :x :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:50 
User

The rot set-in when the councils saved money by either making redundant, or transferring employment of, their directly employed workers.
They now put out the contracts to tender for road works (etc) and the lowest bid frequently wins.
This doesn't improve the quality, especially in "grounds maintenance" (grass cutting et-el), because the job is frequently not done at all and councils seem unable, or unwilling, to do any checking. It also does not result in lower costs, since the same admin staff are still employed and the contractors cost more anyway, but does result in lower pension contributions and other costs like employers NI contrib...and sick pay.
I know one person who is employed by a utilities company to (literally) tarmac the tops of holes that have been dug, the work done, and then filled but not tarmacced. He works in Kent, but lives in Northampton. He drives down to Kent every morning, does about two jobs (one just topping a 4 inch by 3 metre trench) and goes home after.....3 hours down, 3 hours back and the job time. £240.00 for one day. Work it out, then multiply it by several thousand and then more. And believe it or not, they have a hard job getting people to do the work....nobody wants the driving..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 03:08 
User

ALL symptoms of top down beaurocracy which has been going on for years and when mixed with private contracts is a "Field day" for the privateers and a "Revenue dodge" for the Councils in terms of Government money.....

Corruption has ERUPTED in the last 25 yrs!...... Instead of paying a lowly council worker to do a job. We are NOW paying his "Privatised Boss" a BRIBE to maximise his bonus at the expense of those that do the work.

Governments put in place "targets" below which councilors must stay on their "direct" spending otherwise they "get a cut" next year.

They are then "forced" into PFI's which will ultimately cost their constituents and their children many times more than the true cost through the rates whilst ensuring a "vast profit" for the PFI company.

In short, we are being:...STUFFED!...........

But it doesn't appear on the Governments books you see........ it's all a "private affair"..... just like in the good ol' US of A......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 23:19 
User

Telford and Wrekin Council in Shropshire (in their previous incarnation, Wrekin District Council) put loads of yellow lines down. Apparently they were unaware that they should have actually got traffic orders laid down to go with the bloody yellow lines! :o :lol:

Caused all sorts of trouble, as you can imagine... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 23:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thatsnews wrote:
Telford and Wrekin Council in Shropshire (in their previous incarnation, Wrekin District Council) put loads of yellow lines down. Apparently they were unaware that they should have actually got traffic orders laid down to go with the bloody yellow lines! :o :lol:

Its Telford; are you surprised they're not the sharpest tools in the box? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 01:47 
User

RobinXe wrote:
Thatsnews wrote:

Its Telford; are you surprised they're not the sharpest tools in the box? :P

Well, no. I think this was in the time of Uncle Jack Turner. Nice chap but not as sharp as he might have been... :)