Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A personal observation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I happen to believe that the best drivers are often people who have come from having had a motorbike. Not only are they more 'in-tune' with varying road conditions but I believe they have more empathy and understanding towards two wheels when they transfer to four.

I would be fascinated to know the ratio of accidents from those who have had a bike verses those who have never? Any survey ever been done on this? Could a brief riding session be incorporated in a driving test I wonder, under strict and safe conditions naturally.

I'm not saying it would be a good idea to make, let's say, a year of compulsory motorbike riding before you can apply for your car licence, but I do believe they would be better car drivers for some experience on two wheels. I'm convinced that's why my driving record is excellent and why I seem to know what I'm doing in snow, heavy rain and have good spatial awareness etc.

Please don't beat up on me car-only drivers; I did say "often" in the first paragraph.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:52 
User

I think that's an excellent point. And as for including a brief riding lesson into the driving test... I say any additional experience is priceless. But is is viable to teach everyone who wishes to drive a car to drive a motorbike also. Unless it's changed and becomes compulsory to cover both types of vehicle under one licence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Some drivers are so retarded they are barely able to drive a car, theres no way you could let them loose on a bike!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:01 
Site Admin

RobinXe wrote:
Some drivers are so retarded they are barely able to drive a car, theres no way you could let them loose on a bike!

Would Darwin agree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeed wrote:
RobinXe wrote:

Would Darwin agree?

Nope, but we have moved so far past Darwinism that its not funny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:28 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sire wrote:
I think that's an excellent point. And as for including a brief riding lesson into the driving test... I say any additional experience is priceless. But is is viable to teach everyone who wishes to drive a car to drive a motorbike also. Unless it's changed and becomes compulsory to cover both types of vehicle under one licence.

I think the two licences should remain separate. I know there are car drivers out there who would have no interest in ever using a motorbike and vice-versa. (although less common I feel).

I wouldn't discriminate; I think if you were to apply for your motorbike test you should have a similar session in a car so you can see it from the car driver's side; in-car distractions, blind spots etc.

I think of it as a 'road use' test - not a car or motorbike test. We are all road users after all and we need to be good at using them. I know the test would be more expensive but prevention is better than cure so shouldn't we focus on getting people better before they take to the roads.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:53 
Life Member
Life Member

One biker friend of mine reckons that if car drivers had to drive while strapped to the bonnet there would be a lot less accidents.

It could be that part of the trend for reduction in KSIs not being as expected from previous decades is the what the older bikers around here might call the Volvo effect.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:57 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Big Tone wrote:
I happen to believe that the best drivers are often people who have come from having had a motorbike. Not only are they more 'in-tune' with varying road conditions but I believe they have more empathy and understanding towards two wheels when they transfer to four.

What about those who rode bicycles? :)
(aimed at myself, not the lurks)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 13:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes - cycles too!

If I was going on a pony trek I wouldn't expect to mount an ostrich unless I am using the same trek as ostrich users, in which case I would want the experience of riding an ostrich before I mount my pony so I could understand both sides.

I probably wouldn't want to get back on the ostrich again but I'm sure I'd be better off for the experience. On this particular hypothetical trek, I would expect to pass a trek test, not just a pony or ostrich test.

They're coming to take me away ha ha...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 13:17 
User

Actually, I think this has raised an interesting point - not about car drivers having to ride a bike, that's been said before, but about the difference between operating a vehicle and using the road.

Most people can learn to operate a vehicle pretty quicky I think - how the controls work, where the extremities of the vehicle are (yes, I know...) etc, but its the finer art of road use that most people seem to lack.

Maybe the answer isn't to say 'you have to ride a bike before you can drive a car', but to seperate the vehicle control and road use elements completely. You could, say, have a session on a track and obstical course to learn each class of vehicle, but once you'd passed the road use element that was transferable. It would have to include an understanding of the use of all vehicle types, road conditions, blind spots etc etc. Maybe just maybe it would help to remove the 'us and them' attitude a bit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 14:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RobinXe wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
RobinXe wrote:

Would Darwin agree?

Nope, but we have moved so far past Darwinism that its not funny!

I'm not sure Darwin's observations have held true for the human animal for many hundreds of years. The strong and healthy were sent off to war. Morons run countries - and drive. The roads do not discriminate between the weak and feeble or the strong and adaptable. I don't know natures plan for us, but it's not looking good... :scratchchin: