Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: We're watching you...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 14:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

While I am wholly and completely behind everything that Safe Speed stands for and the alternatives to cameras, I do have a concern.

If, by some miracle, there is a climb down on cameras I'm sure it will make nationwide headline news. My fear is that this may result in a sort of 'open season' on our roads even if a new policy is introduced and in place.

I wouldn't like 'them' to make a case, whether genuine or spurious, that since cameras have been abandoned or reduced the deaths have dramatically increased. We may be able to prove that cameras are not the answer and that things were far better before their introduction, but it may not necessarily follow that things will return to the previous figures or attitude.

Sorry if this has already been covered but I don't trust governments and I'm sure there is someone out there just itching to say "I told you so". In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a minister for watching Safe Speed with a view to 'proving' we are wrong.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 17:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It’s unlikely to happen IMO. As Paul has said on numerous occasions the DFT is far more worried about losing face than it is about the number of road deaths so scrapping scameras on masse is unlikely to happen.

The new funding arrangements mean that scameras will die a slow, untold death, which whilst welcome, will allow the DFT to get away with “murder”.

Upton Sinclair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 17:44 
Site Admin

gopher wrote:
The new funding arrangements mean that scameras will die a slow, untold death, which whilst welcome, will allow the DFT to get away with “murder”.

There's an example come along today:

http://www.24dash.com/localgovernment/19697.htm

"Vehicle activated signs to cut speeding in Surrey

Nearly 40 vehicle activated signs (VAS) are in the process of being put up across Surrey as part of a campaign to cut speeds on the county's roads.

[...]

The Surrey Safety Camera Partnership (SSCP) is funding 26 of the VAS, which will light up to speeding drivers on the approach to safety camera sites.

[...]"

Obviously cash spent on VAS isn't being spent on cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 20:18 
User

Ah but those signs replace the traditional camera signs so either drivers slow for every single one in UK or get caught earning more £££.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 20:53 
User

Big Tone wrote:
I'm sure there is someone out there just itching to say "I told you so". In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a minister for watching Safe Speed with a view to 'proving' we are wrong.

While I'm sure 'the government' now understands the power behind targeted public debates (such as this forum) on the internet, I'm pretty sure they don't know how to harness or deal with it.

The best they can do is ignore and hope it goes away.

Something western governments are rather practised at. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 09:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Having spent years in America, I have a particular interest in how they do things.

You may be VERY interested to read this...

http://www.hwysafety.com/hwy_montana_2001.htm

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 03:06 
User

We are all watching with interest the result of the German proposal to introduce a 80mph (130kph) limit on it's autobahns and the effect on the accident rates...... :)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 08:45 

Big Tone wrote:
If, by some miracle, there is a climb down on cameras I'm sure it will make nationwide headline news.

There won't be a sudden climbdown, and it won't make headline news.

As we have already seen, the money will be quietly switched from cameras to other ideas. These will get all the media attention and slowly, slowly, camera use will drop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:30 
User

The best thing we could hope for would be a change of government, as a new lot could easily do a complete reverse, and blame it on the last lot to hold office.
For this reason alone, it's important that the opposition understand that it would be a big issue with voters, which is all that catches their attention!

Use the letters pages of your local papers to highlight the issue, AND their online forums where available.
Example here.
If it seems a bit disjointed, it might be because I had two posts modded a week after posting, because I had dared to mention a story in the paper, in which our local partnership had misrepresented the truth, claiming a faulty camera was being "tested for clarity", which they had to correct when a local policeman gave the game away!! :lol:
I have no idea why they waited a week before moderating it! :wink:

Registration is free!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 00:19 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
The best thing we could hope for would be a change of government,

I'm sorry to say this Ernest, .... but I believe that, that, ain't gonna' work. This Country isn't governed from here anymore ............. and "I believe" it isn't governed from where you "think" it is.....

That's why they're all "carbon copies" of one another ...... only the colour is different! :roll:

EDIT. Mmmmmh ........ That's rather cryptic innit? however, if you know what I mean, it should make sense............ :D