It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 02:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 18:48 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

toltec wrote:
RobinXe wrote:
In that case, the utter lack of high-speed east-west roads anywhere north of the M4!

M62 & M18?

And A50.

Plus a number of roads such as the A43, M69, M42/A42 and A38 that go in a general southwest/northeast direction.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 00:53 
Life Member
Life Member

A34 between Stafford and Stoke.

Drive it, and you'd swear to God that three quarters of the total number of scameras in the country are placed on that stretch.

They are profligate, and to make matters worse.......where does one start? Lack of repeater signage, infinitely changing limits on random stretches of DC, oddly placed traffic lights, nadgery roundabouts, mobile talivans etc etc.

This road even featured on Top Gear TV. JC spotted the hooooojj number of scameras just by looking at an AA Road Atlas that pinpointed fixed scamera sites.

It is a frocking nightmare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 01:02 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SigmaMotion wrote:

Totally agreed - utterly awful.

Another notorious "Gatso alley" is the A619 between Chesterfield and M1 J30, which has vast numbers of the things enforcing limits that seem to vary frequently and randomly between 30 and 40 (there may be a grudging bit of 50 at the eastern end).

This was featured in a TV documentary on speed cameras a few years back, when the guy who apparently was responsible for introducing Gatsos to this country shook his head and said "they were never meant to be used like this".

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 01:10 

SafeSpeed wrote:
scanny77 wrote:
where do i start? :shock:

the one i dread is the A9 perth to inverness. i hate that stretch of 111 miles of nothing. if it was 111 miles in the opposite direction, it would involve at least 2 stops to grab a coffee to take with me but there is no option to do that on the A9. far too monotonous and that has to have a negative effect on road safety

Nah! I absolutely love that road. Are you speaking about it from driving a truck Scanny? Even then some of the scenery is amazing.

Have you tried it in a decent car?

A truly awesome road, that I usually get to drive about once a year when we go to Aviemore on Holiday.

The only problem is that it is a road that was clearly designed to be comfortable and safe at speeds in excess of the limits currently in force; so in these days of draconian enforcement you either travel at a speed that is uncomfortably and inappropriately slow, or else you you drive at a more natural speed and perpetually scan the horizon and verges for "velocity tax" collectors.

A good road spoiled, I'd say.

No, I'd go further and say it's a truly great road spoiled!

(Oh and the inevitable Summer Saturday 50mph caravan convoy has always been a problem too; though that pales into insignificance now that a significant proportion of lorries are only doing 40)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 21:29 
User

M42 ..

M25 .. :yikes:

A14 .. Cambs section...

J13 M60 :yikes:

J34 - M6 Noooooooooh .. shudder... :yikes:

Any road which enforced by SPECS .. Stockbridge comes to mind here :roll: Nottingham's ring road.. too :roll:

M6 through Cumbria, Used to be OK road till Steve meddled :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 22:33 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SigmaMotion wrote:

Drive it, and you'd swear to God that three quarters of the total number of scameras in the country are placed on that stretch.

They are profligate, and to make matters worse.......where does one start? Lack of repeater signage, infinitely changing limits on random stretches of DC, oddly placed traffic lights, nadgery roundabouts, mobile talivans etc etc.

This road even featured on Top Gear TV. JC spotted the hooooojj number of scameras just by looking at an AA Road Atlas that pinpointed fixed scamera sites.

It is a frocking nightmare.

I have to drive up and down that piece of "road" at least twice a week - it is indeed vile - but I think the M42 is an overall worse experience

to sink your ship of fools

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 09:28 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
scanny77 wrote:
where do i start? :shock:

the one i dread is the A9 perth to inverness. i hate that stretch of 111 miles of nothing. if it was 111 miles in the opposite direction, it would involve at least 2 stops to grab a coffee to take with me but there is no option to do that on the A9. far too monotonous and that has to have a negative effect on road safety

Nah! I absolutely love that road. Are you speaking about it from driving a truck Scanny? Even then some of the scenery is amazing.

Have you tried it in a decent car?

i only ever use that road in a truck. i dont know anyone in inverness so have little reason for driving up there in my car.

i do agree with the scenery however, when i start at 2am and im driving that road between 4 and 6 am in the dark, there is little scenery and nowhere to stop for a coffee. its 3 hours of nothing at all and driver fatigue is a major problem

to use an easier comparison. coatbridge to carnforth. 3 horus on the motorway. 2 stops to pick up a coffee. the differences relating to road safety are obvious. i would be quite happy if someone put a couple of services on that stretch of the A9 to break it up a bit. pulling into a layby is all well and good but how effective is it? nothing to see, nowhere to buy coffee so the only thing to wake you up is the sting of the cold air and the rain which is also cold

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 02:59 

scanny77 wrote:
i only ever use that road in a truck. i dont know anyone in inverness so have little reason for driving up there in my car.

I can think of plenty. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 18:20 
User

I would vote the A14, I used to have to drive from the M6 down to ipswich, in other words the whole of the A14

It is a long boring slog down a poor quality road cobbled together from bits of B roads that happened to be knocking around when they built it. The junction to get onto it from the M6 is a complete joke that I probably don't have to repeat (I'll let the 2 mile queues to get off the M6 onto the A14 speak for themselves).

It is plagued with cameras, especially around Cambridge, it is also plagued with elephant racing trucks, as well as local traffic and general idiocy, then you have that wonderful roundabout where you have to make a turn in order to stay on the A14.

To add insult to injury, there is not a single good services on the road either. They are mainly tiny filthy little BP garages of the kind you'd expect to find in the middle of nowhere, if you're lucky they'll be paired with a Little Chef or a McDonalds... yum!

It takes about 3 hours to negotiate that road and I'm invariably struggling to remain awake by the end of it.

As an honary mention, can I also suggest everything within the M25, especially when someone cuts in front of you mid box junction, leaving you stranded in the box and you get a fixed penalty in the post.