Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 03:34 
User

Hi,

New to the forum, I live in South Lakeland and mainly drive a white van. I also use a SatNav system to help keep my licence whilst driving appropriately with regard to road conditions, traffic and time of day/night. Clearly I'm the target they are looking for, according to one of their press releases.

Can I suggest we use this thread if you see a Camera Van in one of their new locations? Perhaps a Grid Ref or OS Map Ref would help, with an indication as to why they may have chosen that particular location.

For example:

1) Fast stretch of road, with no, or little, previous accident history.
2) Fast corner, with little chance to slow down.
3) Abnormally low/inappropriate speed limit (eg Waterhead).
4) Near existing fixed camera.

Perhaps, in time, we can then build up a pattern. Also, if they are siting themselves inappropriately (like they've already been doing for years :-) ), such a list could give our campaign some evidence?

Cheers
Peter H

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 17:05 
User

Hi Peter and welcome along :lol:

Excellent idea, we need to keep a record of CSCP sightings, especially if start operating at new locations outside the existing sites.

CSCP were quick to point out that their current Talivan sites complied with health & safety regs etc - what about their "new" locations? Lancs scammers regularly park blocking the road, dangerously close to junctions etc so if we see CSCP doing anything like that we should record it!! (Very handy these camera phone things :lol: )

I'd put money on them appearing at Waterhead very soon :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 17:30 
User

As I understand it, they hope to anticipate accidents, and slow drivers down enough to PREVENT the accident taking place.

If that were true, then you should expect them where there have been near misses, AND speeding vehicles, so there is no chance of them making an appearance at Bannerigg, where they have already determined that speeds are below the legal lolly!

I'll forego giving them a list of places where they should enforce, in case they take my idea and pass it off as their own!! :lol:

:welcome: Peter - if you ever get your white van to Staveley, pop in and say hello, and read my window display.
I have been invited to put a display in another window too - in Ings!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 19:10 
User

Thanks for the quick replies, I've been meaning to come on here for ages, but never got round to it. I have been in contact with Paul Smith before though.

My wife and I drove round Europe last September (Denmark, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Holland). No other country has ANYTHING LIKE our big brother attitude. We'd not even got onto a main road from Newcastle Harbour and the SatNav was bleeping away. You spend more time looking at your Speedo & the Roadside than at the actual road, it just can't be safe.

I'm quite happy to maintain a database of sightings/locations/photos if you wish.

I must say though, I haven't seen a Talivan for 2 weeks - It's too quiet :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 20:26 
Site Admin

Peter H wrote:
I must say though, I haven't seen a Talivan for 2 weeks - It's too quiet :)

Yeah. I've been wondering if this 'random enforcement' announcement was a smokescreen to hide big budget cuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 20:39 
User

I'll try and find out Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 20:55 
User

As you'll well know Peter, Cumbria is the 2nd biggest county in England; there are still only 4 vans so if they are now randomly spread, the chances of seeing one are much more remote :lol:

As a former submarine person, Callaghan must admit you need a minimum of 3 trident subs to ensure at least one is always on active duty - presumably the same principle applies to CSCP talivans :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 22:57 
New User
New User

I'm disgusted at the dash for cash!!!
24000+ offenses had been recorded by the start of December at £60 a pop.

Have the partnership been working overtime in anticipation of taking things easy? If they have, then it is not working - folks are dying in bigger numbers than ever.

Quote:
Jonathan McKeown presented the budget monitoring statement to
31 October 2006. The statement showed actual expenditure to
date of £699,992. Some concern was expressed that current
spending, particularly in relation to the staffing budget, might result
in a significant underspend. It was suggested, and agreed, that
staffing in the Central Ticket Office could be augmented by the
appointment of one or more members of staff on a six month
contract, with a view to improving morale and the overall operation
of the Office.

The CSCP are working their way towards paying for a new submarine at this rate!
If you want to know where they are, just look for any busy hill or bend with good sight lines and some trees or bushes close by!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 00:50 

Are they now obliged to take all their "camera site" signs down then? Clearly these signs are no longer necessarily to be associated with a camera van. OR are they supposed to put up new ones wherever they are working? If so, hardly the best start to a "covert" operation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 16:47 
User

Hi,
First actual sighting of a "random" C"S"CP van? I saw the red one parked up in a layby on the eastbound side of the A66 near North Stainmore (shortly after Brough) this morning. Well, to be more exact I saw every oncoming car and van flashing their lights for a couple of miles and then saw the van! Looked like he'd parked so as to be able to zap w/b traffic as well (not sure if they are allowed to do that?).

Can't say I was surprised to see a van there, as they've surely wanted to enforce the DC sections of the A66 for ages because the majority oftraffic speeds but there are few accidents (except at this time of year with the Appleby Horse Fair traffic!).

Presumably they just spent the day moving from layby to layby, wonder what the takings were like today? (NO signs of course, they'd actually make people slow down!) Very depressing to see a good quality bit of road targeted in this way, because what the A66 actually needs is police patrols to address the issue of "ill-advised" overtaking manouvres on the SC sections which is the cause of pretty much every accident I've ever seen on that road. Proof that they'd rather take the lazy route of catching people speeding rather than address the root cause of accidents. Ah well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 21:28 
User

Whats needed is video evidence of their talivans exeeding the speed limts on their way to and from the sites they intend to scam from....scammer be scammed i say.... anyone fancy a go at this? :D

Believe nothing- Question everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 22:01 
User

DeltaF wrote:
Whats needed is video evidence of their talivans exeeding the speed limts on their way to and from the sites they intend to scam from....scammer be scammed i say.... anyone fancy a go at this? :D

Some body has this covered already... I am lead to believe there is a substantial reward available to the first driver to clock a talivan for any motoring offence, from a certain organisation charged with bringing REAL safety measures to our roads!
This resulted from an incident where a talivan damaged a parked vehicle while leaving it's overnight parking spot!! :twisted:

The worst talivan offence I witnessed has been a dodgy exit from ASDA's car park early this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 22:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would suggest that anyone who noticed a talivan parked, and themselves parked so close as to make it impossible to get it out, would receive some plaudits from the general population.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 23:44 
User

Many many years ago I remeber when CB radios were in vogueish, drivers and particularly lorry drivers used to use these, something like smokey somewhere and everyone knew.

Could it be time for these to make a comeback and would they be legal.

If I remember rightly people also had home bases so someone could record all sitings and put up aa database.

I'd help cover my area of Merseyside if they start bringing in random scamming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 01:24 

YUP! Still legal (if you get the right sort).

And I think it's even legal to use a hand-held microphone on one two because that's MUCH safer than using a mobile phone :wink:

That's a big 10-4 good buddy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:27 
User

I observed a Lancs Talivan commit a moving traffic offence in November 2005 - failure to comply with a STOP sign, Station Rd, New Longton (thats near Preston for those not familiar!!)

Offence carries 3 points. An absolute offence, like exceeding a statutory limit. Unfortunately I had a client with me in the car at the time, otherwise you bet I would have got the details and reported it.

Sums it up really, SCP's not only liars but also hyppocrites :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 15:12 
User

I've started the database, see keep the sightings coming!

http://www.pjhill.com/talivan.html

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:01 

Just saw one this morning A 5086 in Lamplugh - just before the long, safe overtaking straight by the Lamplugh Tip pub.

It provoked an interesting question from 9 year old daughter:

"Daddy, what's that van doing"?

"He's taking pictures of any cars that are going too fast so he can send them a fine when he gets home".

"Why is he doing that"?

"Because he thinks it will make the roads safer".

"Why are they never on the little wiggly roads where we see crashed cars then"?

"Good Question"!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 17:04 
User

Well, I've been back living in Cumbria for a year now and loving our quieter roads.

I must confess, I've not spotted any Cumbria talivans since June last year (on the A66), although a friend says he saw one on the A689 near Carlisle Airport recently :(

I've heard that they now have a new fleet of vans, and wondered if anyone had a photo of the new livery? I assume it'll be fairly easy to spot but after a year of not seeing them I'm sure I will encounter one soon so want to be prepared!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 23:15 
User

See the occasional one on the A590 between Kendal and Barrow. All Yellow livery. Much rarer now since the change at the top last year.