Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 18:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Roundabouts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:09 
User

Hello all, (love this site BTW)

I would love to see speed restrictions on roundabouts, it is near impossible to pull onto some when the drivers already on are doing a fair old lick.

a 44t 65ft roadtrain takes some moving initially, sometimes i have found that i move forward a foot, then have to stop coz a grand prix wannabe comes around, then i go to pull out, and another crazy driver screeches around.

The only way around this has been to keep going and ignore the rants of the driver i have just cut up :x

Does anyone else have this view??

Or replace all roundabouts with a fly-over system :lol:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Roundabouts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:15 

stgo wrote:
I would love to see speed restrictions on roundabouts, it is near impossible to pull onto some when the drivers already on are doing a fair old lick.

On some of them, yeah it can be damned difficult to get out because of the speed of the other vehicles coming around. For an artic driver it must be a real pain.
The trouble is, once we've all emerged onto the roundabout we go and do the same thing to someone waiting to emerge from the next junction don't we?

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:20 
User

yes that is true, we are all rushing to get to our destination, although by the time i am leaving a roundabout i am probably only doing 15 or 20 miles an hour!!

The first time i drove onto the arc de triumph in Paris i was amazed at the drivers who stopped to let me on, until i noticed that that was what you did there, when others pulled straight on in front of me.

Quick sphincter moment then all settled down!!!! 8-)

Post subject: Re: Roundabouts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:17 
User

stgo wrote:
Does anyone else have this view??

Could just put speed bumps on the give way markings in so that drivers can only start off slowly rather than pile onto the roundabout at full pelt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 13:16 
User

Take the selfish view. They don't have priority over you until they're ON the roundabout. Even if you're only 2" over the white line you have entered the roundabout before them and thus have priority.

I do agree with you though - it can be an absolute nightmare, especially I find on smaller roundabouts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 14:16 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
Take the selfish view. They don't have priority over you until they're ON the roundabout. Even if you're only 2" over the white line you have entered the roundabout before them and thus have priority.

Not even then.

Give way to traffic from the right at a roundabout

From the Highway Code - 'When reaching the roundabout you should give priority to traffic approaching from your right' and 'Watch out for vehicles already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 14:45 
User

I'm not going to get into this argument again. Driving a truck sometimes you have to 'tweek' the rules because otherwise you'd never even get out of the yard. You can't accellerate 44t like you can a car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 14:49 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
I'm not going to get into this argument again. Driving a truck sometimes you have to 'tweek' the rules because otherwise you'd never even get out of the yard. You can't accellerate 44t like you can a car.

You might like to 'tweak the rules' but you never have 'priority' over another road user already on a roundabout simply because you are '2" over the white line'. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 15:15 
User

Icandoit wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:

You might like to 'tweak the rules' but you never have 'priority' over another road user already on a roundabout simply because you are '2" over the white line'. :roll:

And another road user is not allowed to intentionally drive into you because they had priority. If they were driving with appropriate speed to begin with then you would have been able to join the roundabout without causing them a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 15:32 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
And another road user is not allowed to intentionally drive into you because they had priority.

I'd like to see you argue that with the traffic officer after you've pulled out in front of a motorcycle.
Sixy_the_red wrote:
If they were driving with appropriate speed to begin with then you would have been able to join the roundabout without causing them a problem.

There is not a problem. Those joining have to wait for an appropriate gap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 15:38 
User

Icandoit wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:
And another road user is not allowed to intentionally drive into you because they had priority.

I'd like to see you argue that with the traffic officer after you've pulled out in front of a motorcycle.
Sixy_the_red wrote:
If they were driving with appropriate speed to begin with then you would have been able to join the roundabout without causing them a problem.

There is not a problem. Those joining have to wait for an appropriate gap.

I suggest you go back and actually read the OP. He's not talking about people already on the roundabout but people approaching so fast that they don't allow any other traffic to join.

If you've never experienced this, I suggest you visit the new B&Q in Swindon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 15:43 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
I suggest you go back and actually read the OP. He's not talking about people already on the roundabout but people approaching so fast that they don't allow any other traffic to join.

And your solutions have been to be selfish, incorrectly suggested that a vehicle 2" over the give way marking has priority and that a driver needs to to 'tweak the rules' simply to suit themselves. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 15:49 
User

MY SOLUTION is what is TAUGHT during HGV training and testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 16:18 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:

Really? That explains a lot about the actions of (some) truck drivers. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 16:27 
User

Icandoit wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:

Really? That explains a lot about the actions of (some) truck drivers. :roll:

What, the fact that they're forced to behave that way by the idiotic, selfish and completely stupid actions of the majority of w*nkers in cars?

If HGV drivers didn't force their way out occastionally they wouldn't get anywhere.

Oh and BTW I'd trust a trucker before I'd trust a car driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 16:32 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
What, the fact that they're forced to behave that way by the idiotic, selfish and completely stupid actions of the majority of w*nkers in cars?

No. That they are 'TAUGHT' to be selfish, to believe that a vehicle 2" over the give way marking has priority and that a driver needs to to 'tweak the rules' simply to suit themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 16:43 
User

Icandoit wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:

No. That they are 'TAUGHT' to be selfish, to believe that a vehicle 2" over the give way marking has priority and that a driver needs to to 'tweak the rules' simply to suit themselves.

No. They are TAUGHT to drive something that weights 44T and is capable of a hell of alot of damage without killing the hords of lemmings who enhabit our roads and without causing absolute carnage.

Vehicles ON THE ROUNDABOUT have priority over those APPROACHING the rounabout no matter how fast the traffic is approaching.

Oh and BTW - speed bumps on the approach to a roundabout is a bloody stupid idea. You want people's attention focussed on the roundabout not on a sleeping policeman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 16:49 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
Oh and BTW - speed bumps on the approach to a roundabout is a bloody stupid idea. You want people's attention focussed on the roundabout not on a sleeping policeman.

Why do you need to 'focus' on a speed hump? I simply suggested it could be used to slow vehicles down before they entered a roundabout.

You are the one who came out with all the 'tweak the rules' stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 16:56 
User

I actually think you might have misunderstood my point.

I'm not talking about forcing your way onto a roundabout where there is already traffic. I'm talking about taking control of a situation where traffic is approaching so fast that it is actually impossible to entre the roundabout.

I reiterate. Traffic from the right only has priority once its ON the roundabout. If you're already rolling and on the roundabout you don't have to yeild to traffic that's APPROACHING the roundabout, only traffic ON it.

And again, when you're driving something 44t in weight and 60'+ long it takes a while to get onto a roundabout...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 17:07 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
I actually think you might have misunderstood my point.

I don't think so.
Sixy_the_red wrote:
I'm not talking about forcing your way onto a roundabout where there is already traffic. I'm talking about taking control of a situation where traffic is approaching so fast that it is actually impossible to entre the roundabout.

Is 'taking control' the same as the 'tweaking the rules' that you are taught when learning to drive an HGV?
Sixy_the_red wrote:
I reiterate. Traffic from the right only has priority once its ON the roundabout. If you're already rolling and on the roundabout you don't have to yeild to traffic that's APPROACHING the roundabout, only traffic ON it.

Good. But you think the same is not true for the truck drivers who want to 'take control'?
Sixy_the_red wrote:
And again, when you're driving something 44t in weight and 60'+ long it takes a while to get onto a roundabout...

So putting speed humps on the 'Give Way' lines might slow the flow of vehicles onto the roundabout and give you some room then?